Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > EFI and Forced Induction
User Name
Password

Old 02-07-2006, 03:19 PM

Default Home built rear mounted turbo ?????

I am considering putting a rear mounted turbo on my 63 nova, reason being that I have a 5.3 out of a 2001 Chevy Silverado, that I would like to leave as close to stock as possible except the whole 10 to 20lbs of boost thing. The reason I like the rear mounted location is ease of installation, normal headers, no intercooler ect. What all would I need as far as wastegates and componets like that to get this working. Any opinions would be nice, I really think that this would work and not cost a arm and a leg.
Old 02-08-2006, 06:59 PM

To start with I am no turbo expert, although someday I hope to be, but I personal don't like the idea of a rear mounted turbo for a couple reasons.

First off the oil issue, you would have to have engine oil go too the turbo and then drain into some tank and then be pumped back to the engine. That does not quite fit the KISS law to me.

And secondly, if I am not mistaken, my thermodynamic class tought me that the turbo is using thermal energy from the exhaut gases to transform into work to spin the compressor and make boost. As soon as the exhaust leaves the engine it starts to cool, by the rear of the car you could almost put our hand on the exhaust pipe, meaning there would be less energy then near the engine. I guess you could insulate the intire exhaust system to help?

I knwo there is companies out there making rear mount turbo setups and they are making proven Hp gains. If it were me and I was going to dump the $ into a turbo setup I would put it under the hood. Not only would the plumbing be easier, in theory it would be more efficent. Not to mention I would look a whole lot cooler!!!
Old 02-11-2006, 01:58 AM

one thing i didnt really like about a rear mounted turbo was the location of the air filter ....how aboout when it rains ???????? no thanks
Old 02-11-2006, 07:47 AM

i would think you could get away with a 60-1 turbo, a good 35 to 38mm wastegate, and a turbonetic's bov.........you will also need to look at an external oil system in order to properly oil the turbo itself.....

I think it is a great idea and it should be fairly cheap to build........will surely add some power to your ride. Let me know if you need any other info on building the system, i will gladly help in any way......
1989 mustang coupe 4 cyl.
1980 mustang coupe 4 cyl.
MY MUSTANG ENTHUSIASTS SITE
Insanemustangs
Old 02-11-2006, 09:19 AM

Rear mounted turbos are like getting you girls breast implants put in her ass. They don't please you anymore and they look stupid.

If you want to keep the turbo/s looking subtle, run a nice low-mount manifold and make up a nice neat looking heat shield. From what I saw in the US, cops would probably never look under your hood anyway... unless you're driving a lowered DeSol with Altezza tail lights
Old 02-16-2006, 12:15 PM

turbos are run off of heat ? the exhaust flow is what makes them spool. Besides keeping the filter clean and the oiling, I don't see much else. It is a cool design because it basically uses your exhaust pipe as the intercooler.

Last edited by T Bell; 03-01-2006 at 01:20 PM.
Old 02-28-2006, 10:56 AM

I say try it...whats the worst that could happen other than some lost time. There must be something to it as STS is making boat loads of $$$ doing them that way.
Old 02-28-2006, 09:22 PM

Turbos are run off heat?

What are you guys talking about? You understand, a turbo works off the principle of how much exhaust passes through the hot site of the turbo veins, driving the set of veigns on the intake side.

Heat is the enemy of any FI application.
Old 03-02-2006, 07:29 AM

i think they are a great idea!

heat is energy and is importatn but STS use smaller exhaust housings to reduce spool up and counter the loss of the heat. also rear mounts dont need to eb water cooled as they run at lower temps and probably put less stress on the oil!

getting the oil back to the engine can be a problem, and some have had pumps fail. but then you could just run a dry sump and run one of the scavange pumps for the turbo! hehehehehehehehe.

Chris.
Old 03-02-2006, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aonghus
Turbos are run off heat?

What are you guys talking about? You understand, a turbo works off the principle of how much exhaust passes through the hot site of the turbo veins, driving the set of veigns on the intake side.

Heat is the enemy of any FI application.
Yes, a turbocharger is an adiabatic device and the hotter the incoming exhaust gas the more efficient the turbine, hot gas has a higher pressure and travels faster..in other words, hot gasses have more potential energy. A turbo is more than just a sort of water wheel. A hot turbo is a happy turbo.

They have something to cool the intake charge..it's called an intercooler

Last edited by Twin_Turbo; 03-02-2006 at 10:15 AM.