Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > EFI and Forced Induction
User Name
Password

Old 02-05-2006, 02:13 PM

Default Which supercharger????Procharger or Vortech

I am in the market for a supercharger for a 502 with aluminum heads. The cam is 211/230 & 510/540 full roller. I can change the cam no problem for one better suited for this aplication (if needed). Comp. is around 8.75. I do not want to run a cooler right now or at all if I can help it. Hood clearance is also a concearn. 69 Camaro stock cowl. I like the idea of the blow thru Vortech, but alot of guys seem to like Procharger better. The car will have ps also. I think there is some modification to get that to work. What size headers?? Thanks in advice guys. Cory
also would a 118cc chamber aluminum head be better than 110?
Old 02-05-2006, 03:59 PM
Supporting Member

cory69ss-
Take a look at this thread discussing ProCharger vs. Vortech:
https://lateral-g.net/forums/show...5&page=1&pp=10

What kind of power are you looking for now and in the future ?
Since you dont' want to run an intercooler, you want to keep the boost in the single digits. Carbureted versions are better for non-intercooled boost due to their natural "mini-intercooler" effect. Use a cam ground on 114 deg LC to keep from overscavenging the cylinders (Call the Comp Cams tech line, they are very helpful in cam selection). Depending on your intended use HP vs Torque a 2" primary header should be sufficient. Everyone has their opinions of ProCharger vs Vortech. They both make good units. I was originally going to use a Vortech YS trim, but after personal research and recommendations switched to a ProCharger. You will have to decide the size you want. Going slightly larger will do two things for you: 1) Keep the air a little cooler by not spinning the blower as fast and 2) you can crank it up at a future date with a simple pulley change versus having to upgrade the whole blower. I think Jody/Stuart ran a ProCharger D1SC which pumped out around 830-840 RWHP with EFI. How often do you want to change your rear tires ?
http://www.nelsonracingengines.com/...lownbbchigh.wmv
Project Rides:
1968 Firebird - Blown 540
1987 Blazer 4x4 - Blown 355
2007 Magnum
2010 Camaro SS - LSX Twin Turbo
Old 02-05-2006, 04:54 PM

I'm trying to be realistic with power #'s. I fill like 800 at the flywheel is do able. I will only be running 275-40-17's drag radial on the street. So traction is always a issue. I want a set up I can run Power Tour and not worry. Thanks for the info. Cory
Old 02-07-2006, 10:56 AM

I think Procharger is the way to go. I think your set up will be awesome but you will probably want to upgrade your tires from a 275 to 285 if you can fit it.
Old 02-07-2006, 04:09 PM

I will be rolling the lip, so I might be able to run a 17x10 5 5/8 bs with a 285. I have to do some more measuring to be sure. Thanks for the imput. Cory