Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > EFI and Forced Induction
User Name
Password

Old 11-23-2005, 02:48 AM

Default Suggestions And Questions

Hello, I'm new to these forums and have a couple of questions about this turbocharging set-up and am looking for suggestions.

First are the questions....

At what point (RPM wise) does the turbochargers reach full boost?
Could each component of the Engine kits be purchased sperate?
What would be a streetable compression ratio to aim for?
How large are the intercoolers?
What kind of pipes/tubing comes with the kit to fab everything together?

Now the suggestion time....

I am looking for a "sleeper" of sorts, an older chevy or GM car/truck that no one would expect an extream amount of power in. The cars and trucks I've looked at (At this point) there was no way that I could fit a twin turbo engine under the hood. Any suggestions about that would be apprieciated, cause I really would like to find a nice home for the engine I've started building...

Thank you in advance...
Old 11-23-2005, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoRtEx-DeSiGn
At what point (RPM wise) does the turbochargers reach full boost?
This is a very large variable due to difference in compression/cubic inch/head flow/vehicle weight/tune/gearing etc etc. We are able to make 10 psi by 3000 rpm with our 366" in the black pick-up which is a manual tranny. Auto tranny's will typically spool the turbo even quicker.

Quote:
Could each component of the Engine kits be purchased sperate?
No, we do not offer any internal components separately.

Quote:
What would be a streetable compression ratio to aim for?
Take a look in the sticky thread above for a complete list of "suggested engine parameters" but we recommend staying below 8.5:1 if you are using aluminum heads and 8.0:1 with iron heads.

Quote:
How large are the intercoolers?
We do not offer intercoolers for this application. A wise man once said "You know an intercooler is too big when you can't close the hood". I recommend taking some cardboard and moching it up in the front of your vehicle. Make the largest core you can(don't forget you need room for end tanks) and take those measurements to a reputable I/C manufacturer like Spearco or PWR.

Quote:
What kind of pipes/tubing comes with the kit to fab everything together?
The kit will include two "boost tubes" that will connect the compressor outlets to the pressure chamber. These would not be used if you were to add an intercooler. At which time custom piping would need to be fabricated.

Quote:
Now the suggestion time....

I am looking for a "sleeper" of sorts, an older chevy or GM car/truck that no one would expect an extream amount of power in. The cars and trucks I've looked at (At this point) there was no way that I could fit a twin turbo engine under the hood. Any suggestions about that would be apprieciated, cause I really would like to find a nice home for the engine I've started building...

Thank you in advance...

I have had a customer put this into a 928 Porsche, there is one with a beautiful Corvair, trucks are always good sleepers, 3rd gen f-body's, Monte Carlo/ G/N, and my favorite Caprice/Impala(cop car of course ).
63 Nova 'Low Budget G-Machine' *SOLD*
Old 11-23-2005, 10:43 AM

Default Thanks

Thanks for the quick responce. I think I will go with a truck of some sort, just trying to find something with a bigger egine bay then a S-10. I dont belive that a twin turbo engine would fit into the truck w/o moving the firewall back. One last question though, In the video what kind of truck is that (The manual black one)?

Thanks again.

Nathanial
Old 11-23-2005, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the quick responce. I think I will go with a truck of some sort, just trying to find something with a bigger egine bay then a S-10. I dont belive that a twin turbo engine would fit into the truck w/o moving the firewall back. One last question though, In the video what kind of truck is that (The manual black one)?

Thanks again.

Nathanial
I have two customers with S10's so it is possible to make them fit.

Gale's black truck is/was a 1990 454 SS.
Old 11-23-2005, 10:56 AM

Wow... Guess its time to open the paper and find me a v6 S-10 to play with, Thanks again for your help. I will let you know when I am ready to purchase a kit (Gotta buy my truck and make it engine freindly first ).

Thanks again!

-Nathanial
Old 11-23-2005, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Wow... Guess its time to open the paper and find me a v6 S-10 to play with, Thanks again for your help. I will let you know when I am ready to purchase a kit (Gotta buy my truck and make it engine freindly first ).

Thanks again!

-Nathanial

Good luck hunting. Talk to you soon.

Jason
Old 03-09-2006, 12:45 AM

Default Back again...

After a long leave, I am back. I ended up picking up an old 88' Pontiac Fiero. I am still working on building it up to accecpt a V8, and be able to hold it without tearing the car apart (Ie - To much power = tweeked frame). I will be very interested in getting a twin turbo setup going soon. I will keep in touch!

- Nathanial

PS - The Twin Turbo Power Guide said that this kit can be purchased in stages. How much does each stage cost, or will I be forced into rolling my pennies until I can get up the five grand to purchase the complete kit. Thank you in advance!
Old 03-09-2006, 09:05 AM

Quote:
After a long leave, I am back. I ended up picking up an old 88' Pontiac Fiero. I am still working on building it up to accecpt a V8, and be able to hold it without tearing the car apart (Ie - To much power = tweeked frame). I will be very interested in getting a twin turbo setup going soon. I will keep in touch!

- Nathanial

PS - The Twin Turbo Power Guide said that this kit can be purchased in stages. How much does each stage cost, or will I be forced into rolling my pennies until I can get up the five grand to purchase the complete kit. Thank you in advance!
Now that's a project vehicle.

I can sell you some of the pieces of the kit by themselves such as the manifolds, pressure chamber, waste gates, or turbo's. Doing it this way is about 35%-40% MORE expensive though.