Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Project Updates
User Name
Password

Old 06-25-2009, 02:10 AM
Lateral-G Supporting Vendor

Default Project Wheels and Stance

Well, it's finally time. As many of you saw a couple months ago, I picked up a pristine 64 Buick Skylark and have been planning, drawing and ordering parts for phase one, the most important part; wheels and stance.

It will be way more than skin deep but since Summer is upon us and it doesn't last long in the NW, I'm doing a fast and super functional facelift with a big emphasis on style and function. After a bunch of research and calls and favors, etc, I ordered up a full TVS system from Hotchkis complete with front and rear tubular control arms, BIG sway bars, Bilstien shocks and everything to make it pound corners instead of dragging the door handles around them! Next is a set of Baer 2 piston brakes with the 2 piece rotors to get it stopped right instead of standing on the brick of a pedal and waiting for the worn out drums to haul it down safely. I actually watched an Explorer stuff a Focus into a clean 71 Charger right in front of me this morning so these brakes can't go on soon enough! To hold the corners and grab the road when i have to stop is a set of BF/Goodrich G-Force KDWs wrapped around a set of Rushforth Whiplashes with brushed centers and polished outers.

I've always had a thing for Skylarks because as a designer they have way more style and time and money invested from the factory and they're far less common than Chevelles and about half the price. No offense, my A-Body brothers! And we are brothers because the beauty of the GM A-Body is of course availability of parts and interchangeability.

The car was so nice when I saw it on craigslist, I only slept on it for 2 nights instead of my usual week before I went and looked at it and I struck a deal with the owner who has had it in a garage since 82 only driving it on weekends racking up 96,000 original miles! The only thing done to it other than loving care and oil changes was a repaint in the factory color about 15 years ago that's still in good condition but while I was waiting on parts, I've been detailing it in and out.

The point of this car is obviously to A) Have fun!, B) Promote my design and wheel businesses, C) Go to shows and autocrosses and hone some driving skills, and D) Show people what can be done to an affordable alternative bodystyle when you search with an open mind, use some creativity and some careful parts selection. Do what you can with what you've got! I jones for radical over the top cars but the reality is kids, mortgage, small business and little patience so I found a car in my budget that I could drive this summer which started Sunday so get out there!

If you got this far, thanks for reading!

So, before someone puts up a "This Thread Is Worthless Without Pictures" post, here are some pictures.

Exactly as it was when I found it.

Mocking up some wheels to check fit and clearance at Jared's www.J-RodandCustom.com

And of course the rendering which wasn't too tough to come up with considering how nice this car is.

Last edited by JayR; 07-20-2009 at 11:42 AM.
Old 06-25-2009, 02:24 AM

While we were waiting on parts, we were having great weather and I was itching to drive it so J-Rod and our good friend Howard hammered it for me so i didn't look like I carjacked Frank Sinatra and I've put a few hundred miles on it while the UPS man gets to know me even better bringing cool stuff everyday.

Remember what I said about more money being spent on Buicks? As an example, they had great designers that had to come up the ranks and they designed killer details like tucked bumpers that look like something from a high end shop. Alright, so not quite that tight of a fit but pretty damn cool from the factory! And check out how the bezels and taillight trim panel are castings not stampings. Same with the grille!

Dig the extra details like the roof trim and the flushed windshield trim that's also up front.

Can you tell I love this car?

The UPS man aka Santa brought me big white boxes with BAER written on them!

Last edited by JayR; 06-25-2009 at 02:28 AM.
Old 06-25-2009, 07:33 AM
Administrator

Quote:
If you got this far, thanks for reading!
lol...

Nice find, Jason. Those wheels and the finish that you used on them looks great. When are you mounting the brakes?

And you're right, that car has a lot of thought put into it from the factory.

My LS7 69 Camaro
Old 06-25-2009, 07:46 AM

yes yes yes

now thats a great find. .....love the non typical SKYLARK
no paint jail or need for heavy custom body mods .just update the suspension and wheels and ENJOY..great idea...wish i had done that..
keep us posted

tom
Old 06-25-2009, 08:09 AM

Awesome! What a great find that car was and I totally agree with your styling comments on the more upscale divisions.

Hermance Design
My Facebook
Old 06-25-2009, 09:19 AM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Thumbs up

Very nice!!
The rendering looks awesome. Should be a nice car when complete. What color is that by the way? I like the color on that car.
Keep us posted.
Old 06-25-2009, 10:13 AM

Thanks for sharing my enthusiasm, guys!

Baer Brakes, complete Hotchkis TVS system, Lee quick ratio steering box from Savitske, my wheels and BF/Gs are all going to happen in the next 2 weeks before I leave for Columbus. Like I said, Summer's here and I'm not that patient!

Thanks Tom, I love your Rambler and totally sympathize with the long road a car like that goes on and seen it happen 100 times with friends and clients so I bought the cleanest car I could find that wasn't totally mainstream but had a lot of aftermarket support and some style and a full frame under it and it just so happens, great paint and interior! Bonus! I was totally fixated on wheels and stance so I was willing to buy a car with some patina bit when I found this, I had to pull the trigger. Another guy came to buy it from the craigslist ad 3 minutes after we shook on the deal. He got out of his car to see what he missed, shook his head, congratulated me and said "You snooze, you lose and I snoozed!".

From what I've learned doing a little research, the color is 64 Buick Marlin Blue.

The paint is base/clear and is in good shape but I've had some time to play with it while I wait for parts so I've been cleaning and detailing and even had some help from my daughter on Father's Day.

Here she is polishing the coat hook with Eagle One NEVR DULL. No, I didn't misspell that. Good stuff and I've used quite a bit of it cleaning up the stainless and neglected chrome like the interior and exterior mirrors, door handles, and all the various gingerbread. Good stuff but use it in an open area or you'll get dizzy.

Ever used paint clay? Think it's snake oil? It's frikkin' magic! For little spots, just use your spray detail but if you have a 17' long car with dry feeling paint, fill up your wash bucket with soapy water and keep your area wet and well lubed and rub gently with the clay spread out flat and you will be blown away by what the clay picks up and what your paint looks and feels like afterward. The paint is fine and there's lots of clear on it but it needed a little love and just had that dry feeling like it hadn't been waxed in a few years. Now it feels like it's freshly waxed and I haven't even taken any polish to it. The clay works on aluminum and glass as well.

So easy, an 8 year old can do it!

How's that for an endorsement? Hey Mother's, need a spokesmodel?
Old 06-25-2009, 11:08 AM

aren't u aware of child labor laws in this country?

as far as the project goes...

It's your turn Jay! enjoy - This car is going to be awesome, there needs to be a magazine build article for this take lots of pics
Old 06-25-2009, 11:16 AM
Supporting Member

Cool cars. I kinda like the side trim on it, makes the car less Chevelle-like and more unique.
Old 06-25-2009, 12:12 PM

hmmmm are those black or grey Whiplash Rushforths..... least you have good taste and didn't go with Rated X like the rest of the guys .I still hope I have the only set of black center Whiplash wheels