Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Wheels and Tires
User Name
Password

Old 02-13-2008, 10:59 PM

Default Best big brakes for the money

I have been reading posts on this site and pro-touring for the past several weeks. Everyone is running a different brake set up. I am looking for suggestions on what is the best brake setup for the money?

C5/C6 setup, wildwood, bear, ccp or something i haven't mentioned? Looking to run 13" front 12" rear with 17" or larger wheels.

I have a nearly original 69 camaro, for now. Since the car has a fresh motor I think it makes since to add as much new horsepower to my braking system. This car will be occasionally driven hard (to pick up a burger) and hopefully nice enough to make it to some shows.

suggestions are welcomed!
Old 02-14-2008, 01:38 AM

I'm looking at www.touring-classics.com for brakes on my Chevelle. I may go a bit more expensive for some higher performance brakes on the Camaro. Anyway, touring classics kits seem to get good reviews on this and other forums I've checked. They're just about the same stuff as Baer in form and function, but without the brand name and high cost. This, of course, is not my personal experience, just what I've heard... good luck.
Old 02-14-2008, 03:17 AM

It's all about the dollar. We really need more info on your project. From you description, cutting holes in the floor boards and a good set of metallic shoes would cut it.
Old 02-14-2008, 09:36 AM

I think the wilwoods are great for the money. Sure there is better, for alot more money. I run the road race set up on my mustang track car and they brake work great all day long. Good brake are not cheap and cheap brakes are not good.

If you need a deal on a set give me a call.

Rodger
Old 02-14-2008, 05:59 PM

Default Additional info

I guess what they say is true "write to your audience" you guys are quite technical and I should have given you more details. OK here we go.

My car is currently all original currently with drums all around. The rear is a 10 bolt. All original suspension and subframe. I do have a fresh 350 with aluminum RPM heads and intake, 650cfm carb, estimated at 375hp.

I will be getting an LS motor and T56 trans sometime in the next year or so. I plan to run about 400 hp and retain the original subframe. I will likely remove the subframe and weld the entire seam and add connectors, but I don't think it will be worth while (for the extra money) to replace the subframe.

I am considering GW control arms, QA1 coils, and tall spindles. Not yet sure which vendor is best on the spindles, Heidts price is nice, ATS spindles seem really great but pricey. Any suggestions here would also be great.

I guess I should consider the rear end when swaping the brakes, but I am not sure 10 bolt, 12 bolt or 9". I will likely do mini tubs, but I don't think I will narrow the rear end.

Cutting a hole in the floor would be noisey, but the sparks from the steel shoes would be cool at night! But I think I will stick to more conventional braking methods.

I don't think I will ever do any real road racing in the car, but I may take an occasional drive on Mulholland.

I hope I have given you enough info if not let me know what else I should include. Thanks for the suggestions so far.
Old 02-14-2008, 06:12 PM

Touring Cassics is a nice, inexpensive way to go, or as previously mentioned, the Wilwood kit. We sell both, so if you are looking for an outlet.

As for your project, the Global West arms are still a very good upgrade, and you might consider upgrading that 10 bolt to something a little more durable. All this and a nice set of at least 18" wheels would give you a much more positve feel. Not a big fan of the QA1's, you might consider the Varishocks from Chassis Works as an alternative. Same price, perform great!
Old 02-14-2008, 11:17 PM

Well, you will not beat this Package. A super complete kit. We use these kits in our own high volume Pro Touring shop, and we sell quite a few of these kits to members here.

Prodigy Customs introduces our Total Car G-Machine Brake Packages for Camaro, Chevelle, Nova, F body, A body, G Body, Ford, Mustang, Mopar and many others featuring the worlds best brakes, Wilwood Disc Brakes! Prodigy Customs EXCLUSIVE Total Car G Machine Brake Packages takes all the guess work out of your 4 wheel disc brake conversion. Our kits include front and rear Wilwood brakes in the size of your choice, front sizes from 10.75" - 14" rotors for all popular applications, Rear brakes include INTERNAL E BRAKE in sizes from 12.2" to 14" for all popular applications. Calipers are available in Four Piston to Six Piston, Dynalite and Superlite Calipers Our exclusive Total Car G-Machine brake packages include everything required to convert you original brakes to monster 4 wheel disc. Call for your exact application.

Kits include:

Wilwood Parts Include:

Front and Rear Wilwood Kits

New front Hubs

3 pints Wilwood DOT 4 high temp Brake Fluid

Prodigy Customs Parts Include:

Front Braided Brake Hoses

Rear Braided Brake Hose

E brake Cables for Internal E Brakes

Master Cylinder

Adjustable Proportioning Valve

We even include Safety Wire and Safety Wire Pliers for proper 2 piece rotor assembly

12.2" (4) piston F / 12.2" (4) piston rear with internal E Brake is only $1750

NOTE:

($1750 Kit includes BLACK CALIPERS and NON Drilled / Slotted Rotors)

Options include:

(6) piston calipers $300

Red, Blue, Yellow, Silver and Polished Calipers are A + $200 Option,

Drilled and Slotted Rotors are a + $200 Option

Wilwood Polished Aluminum Dual Reservoir Master Cylinder is a + $170 Option

Dual Diaphram Polished Stainless Power brake Booster $200

KIT AS SHOWN WITH RED CALIPERS, DRILLED AND SLOTTED ROTORS, AND POWER BOOSTER IS $2350.

Old 02-14-2008, 11:34 PM

As for suspension, We install everyday and we sell lots of Hotchkis, DSE, Art Morrison, Chris Alston, SpeedTech, ATS, QA1, Varishock.

In just the last 3 weeks, in our shop we did 2 Hotchkis TVS installs, A built DSE stock subframe, 2 DSE Subframes, A Art Morrison Subframe, a G Bar rear and a Quadra Link Rear, And A Ari Ride set up. And that is just the last few weeks.

We do free technical calls (no purchase required) and pass our experience to members, We work with builders all over the world and all over the states, many of these builders are here on these forums, helping put together packages that fit ones budget and goals.

Because we have such a variety of suspension products, we are uniquely qualified to make financially UN bias opinions. Instead make recommendations based on our vast experience. We install and use the product lines we sell. There are also many products we WILL NOT sell because we have used them.

So if you need some advice, you welcome to call no purchase necessary.

four zero seven 832 1752
Old 03-12-2008, 05:18 PM

Default conclusion

Just to finish this discussion for others like me who spend hours here doing research.

I decided to go with CCP. I am sure some will agree others will disagree. I want good quality for good value. Although I can't brag about having 6 piston calipers CCP provides GM calipers with 13/12 rotors. I got a complete package from them including new stainless hard lines (pre bent), braided soft lines, powder coated calipers, drop spindals and everything I needed.

Oh yeah, I also purchased there upper and lower tubular control arms.
Old 03-12-2008, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aray327
Just to finish this discussion for others like me who spend hours here doing research.

I decided to go with CCP. I am sure some will agree others will disagree. I want good quality for good value. Although I can't brag about having 6 piston calipers CCP provides GM calipers with 13/12 rotors. I got a complete package from them including new stainless hard lines (pre bent), braided soft lines, powder coated calipers, drop spindals and everything I needed.

Oh yeah, I also purchased there upper and lower tubular control arms.
well hope you got it for a better price than kore-3 or touring classics cause... its the same thing just a differnt color. thier not gm calipers though thier pbr calipers. and gm uses them also the baers are pbr's also so as long as thier price on the kit was better you made out good. its basically the c5 setup so youll be very happy with it whn its said and done.

1970 1/2 rs z28...pro-touring?...i wish...soon?