Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Transmission and Rear End
User Name
Password

Old 06-24-2016, 06:35 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Default LT1 T56 failed throw out bearing

Just wanted to post this here as well in case you don't wonder into my build thread. I lost all clutch control a few days ago. After pulling the transmission I found that my throw out bearing had come apart.

Clutch is a Luk replacement. I'm using a Fidanza flywheel if that matters. I've got 50k miles on this setup easily. Looks like the flange that rests against and is pushed by the fork sheared off the center section. Any ideas why or how? Just thinking there might be some other cause besides a failed throw out bearing.

Also, it looks like my fork was contacting the pressure plate. I'm guessing this may be a result of the throw out bearing starting to fail before it finally let loose.

Thanks

Current rides: 2000 BMW 540i/6 and 86 C10.

Former ride: 1979 Trans Am WS6: LT1/T56, Kore 3 C5/6 brakes, BMW 18in rims
Old 06-24-2016, 08:42 PM

Wow! Not sure why the part failed, but I'm hoping no other damage was done by all the loose pieces. Its a pretty flimsy design to start with...have you considered a hydraulic TO bearing replacement?
Old 06-25-2016, 06:28 AM

No, I didn't know that was available for these transmissions, Lance. Do you have any information you can link for me?

I didn't find any other damage thankfully. I think I'll just get a new bearing installed, put the car back together, and then worry about building the transmission once the engine gets pulled later this year.

Thanks

Old 08-13-2016, 06:59 PM

I know this thread is a little old but here's my dilemma .My T O bearing hasn't failed ....but I'm at a loss with my slave and master cylinder . It seems to hold pressure against the fork over time and eventually the fork makes contact with the pressure plate and then disengages the clutch . There is no bleeding except the line . What master cylinders are being used with a first gen Camaro ...anyone????
Old 08-29-2016, 10:43 AM

Sorry I missed this reply. So you're pumping the clutch pedal in order to get the slave to actually work? If so, you just need to bleed the slave. To do this, just take the slave off the transmission, make sure the reservoir has fluid, and with the slave pointed down, push the rod in and out slowly by hand until it's firm. After that, put the slave back on the side of the transmission and do that a few more times using the pedal. You have to make sure the reservoir has fluid the entire time. The system is self-bleeding. You just have to start the process by hand.

If this isn't your situation, let us know. Might be best to start a new thread though.

Good luck