Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Project Updates
User Name
Password

Old 05-03-2015, 03:17 PM

Very cool car. I will be watching this.
Old 05-03-2015, 09:41 PM

I love it! And a 13:1 SBC fits this car's attitude perfectly.
Old 05-04-2015, 08:25 PM

It is so cool that somebody know the history of my car! funny thing about this car that even though it has been raced pretty much of it's life.. they kept all the orginal parts... I have the orginal transmission & engine.. smog pump, carb, alternator, starter, intake, valve covers & etc.. They even had the protecto plate with owners manual..

The whole suspension & diff have been completely rebuilt.. I will show that progress later.. Here are some images of what the interior looked like.. Accusump in the car had me a little worried but now has been relocated.. The roll bar that was done by Maier a long time ago was re-done too.. It just was not that easy for to drive.. so the changes are being done to fit me as the primary driver..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solid LT1 View Post
First time I watched that Vette race was back in the 70s. The LT-1 was owned by a guy named Denny Greenwood....then Lynn Anderson....it's one of the reasons why there are 2 LT-1 Corvettes in my garage. You have a real 70 LT-1 there with great racing history. Speedy and Jan were great people to hang around with at the races.

I would go over the frame with a fine tooth comb looking for stress cracks and check the differential out....they tend to be fragile

I will admit that the 13:1 SBC does fit the attitude of the car.. But I want to make it easy to drive on the street.. In SoCal we are blessed with pretty much great yearly weather.. plus my daughter luv's it when I pick her up from school in the Old Corvette! Here is what it currently looks like.. Have not changed much here yet..

I am only gathering parts right now for the LS Conversion.. But promise I will be doing it in a traditional way.. Here is my set-up motor.. I will be running a single plane intake.. Plus Have these valve covers being made right now so that I can put the GM cross flag logo on it...Plus doing my belt drive system to fight the issue they have on pass side for heater hoses.. I will detail the engine bay.. Goal is to make all the changes & test the car.. then blow it apart for paint & detail!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil B View Post
I love it! And a 13:1 SBC fits this car's attitude perfectly.

Last edited by Cris@JCG; 05-04-2015 at 08:29 PM.
Old 05-05-2015, 08:41 AM

Default getting busy

Cris,
You are hard at it dude!
Glad to see your early results.
Old vettes rule ....
Thanks for taking the time to give my father & I the shop tour the other day.
I look forward to hopefully seeing you at some USCA events this summer
Scott " Bubba "
Old 05-05-2015, 09:00 AM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Thanked 1,077 Times in 385 Posts

1000hp still won't make you Danny Popp....
Old 05-05-2015, 02:34 PM

No problem Scott! Looking forward to seeing ya next time..

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfsvettes View Post
Cris,
You are hard at it dude!
Glad to see your early results.
Old vettes rule ....
Thanks for taking the time to give my father & I the shop tour the other day.
I look forward to hopefully seeing you at some USCA events this summer
Scott " Bubba "
I totally agree with you Greg! but You also have to consider that you won't be faster than Jennifer Hobaugh in her old Miata!!

Miss ya!! OXOXOXO

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregWeld View Post
Old 05-05-2015, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cris@JCG View Post
.. Goal is to make all the changes & test the car.. then blow it apart for paint & detail!!
Thats what I keep saying but keep getting stuck on the "make changes & test the car" part. Something about this is just soo much fun I just keep repeating it and cant seem to break the cycle. Details can come later when Im ready to park it for a while.

Its not a Vega!!!!

Total Cost Involved - Total Control Products - Gateway Performance - Fatman - MaverickMan Carbon
Old 05-07-2015, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregWeld View Post
Talking to Danny@SEMA it seems his 72 has a destroked LS7 with solid roller cam.....probably makes mid/high 500HP output.....I see many people on here trying to build too much HP for the intended use of their cars. If your planning on autocrossing that Vette the LS7 should give plenty of power, going to a solid roller set-up will give you a little room at the top RPM range to over-rev between corners without pumping up hydraulic lifters. The problem I see with LS motors and high RPM is their oiling systems SUCK! You will need to pay attention to oil routing and massage the internal block passages to make a LS live at 7000+ RPMs for extended periods of time....on a Drag Strip you will never see the short commings, banging a motor against the rev limiter (if its set above 7000RPMs) like happens on a road course or auotX and you will discover the shortcomings of an LS.

I doubt that LT-1 will ever return to NCRS standards, if it were mine, I would go onto the Corvette Forum or NCRS Driveline and start selling some of those wanted parts....that windshield wiper motor has a rare 5 port pump unit on it....probably worth over $200 to a NCRS guy, the front grilles and headlamp surrounds on a 70 LT-1 are worth some money too if they are original.

The Ridetech 48HR Corvette (that turned into a 60+ HR Corvette because lets face it, its not as easy to build as an Fbody!) is a great reference on a decent C3 build. I intend to put a Greenwood 5 bar in my 72 LT-1 to deal with the rear toe change problems of the C2/3 Vettes, if your interested in info....Email me, I basically have 2 set-ups and might sell the extra one. This stuff was designed by Bob Riley.....pretty decent car designer.
Old 05-21-2015, 12:06 PM

Got some time finally to post what I did to upgrade the suspesnsion.. The car had already been set up for Auto-X but need to freshened up.. So I just went ahead & rebuilt the whole suspension with Van Steel, JRI Shocks & Wilwood brakes.. I built my own front sway bar.. Modified the the rear trailing arms so that I could run the shocks on the back side where the leaf spring would go for quick adjustments & spring changes.. The car already had a quick ratio steering box in it.. Very basic simple bolt on stuff with just some minor changes..

The LS Conversion has begun! We already built the gas for the car.. Went ahead & changed the location by dropping it to get the center of gravity lower.. New thing we are doing in our gas tanks is Vapor domes.. Next step is to build an Aluminum radiator support using a C6 Corvette radiator to bring the cold air tube out the front of the car..

Last edited by Cris@JCG; 05-21-2015 at 12:31 PM.
Old 05-21-2015, 07:57 PM

Very nice, how is the rear spoiler attached/secured? Keep the posts coming. Thanks

https://lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=44704

Last edited by vstol; 08-11-2015 at 08:16 PM.