Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Project Updates
User Name
Password

Old 04-30-2015, 06:18 PM

Default JCG Restoration & Customs 70 LT-1 Corvette

My new toy! It has been some time now that I have wanted to get into an early Vette.. I had been looking around & bought a 69 but really did not do anything with it other than just sit in my garage.. So around the USCA event in Thunder Hill I was sitting @ the shop wishing I could be out there racing with my friends but did not have a car built.. I have a bunch of started projects but just don't have the time to complete them.. So I opted to find a car that I could bolt on some parts & go out & have some fun racing.. I remembered this 70 Corvette that Mary Pozzi told me about up north.. So I called her & asked her about the car & asked to see if it was up for sale! I was in luck.. Mary had me on the phone with Jan & Speedy Knudsen within a hour but also have one of my friends from American Auto-X Jesus Villarreal in NoCal also knew about the car.. I always wanted a NoCal old Auto-x car.. So with the advice from Jesus I bought the car without even looking @ it.. Especially because it was an original LT-1 Vette

This is the memorable car purchase in my life.. Jan & Speedy were some of the greatest people I have ever met.. She boxed & labeled every original part that had been removed off the car.. She sent me pictures & made sure that I had all the information I needed with the before I left to Napa to go pick it up.. I also happened to be traveling the weekend that Speedway was having a SCCA Auto-x event in Crows Landing & wanted to test the car that weekend so they gave me a full tank of gas & installed a new set of Hoosier R7's! This car had been Autocrossed most of its life & was a bite tired & needed some maintance but still ran great...

My goal for the car is make it a street car that I can race.. I wanted to bring something different to the USCA events & have always had a soft spot for old Corvettes.. I will update with changes as I find the pictures but in the mean time here is picture of me driving it in the rain in Vegas! Upgrades since purchase: Ididit column, Sparco wheel, new bolt on cage, Van Steel suspension, Moog Steering linkage, JRI Shocks, Wilwood Brakes, & Forgeline wheels.. I happen to be selected to get a new Legend transmission @ the Vegas event which is great with the new LS conversion I have coming.. My USCA Vegas experience! I had a great time @ this event.. Me & the crew busted late nights to get the car completed as best as we could & was not sure how the old corvette would do but managed to hang in the with the best of them.. The car performed great for its first event out.. I was a bit nervous driving the car on the road course for the first time because I did not know what to expect.. but let me tell that that is where I felt most comfortable driving it! The only thing that kept me from going faster was that the car was popping out of 3rd gear on the straights & had a hard time down shifting to 2nd gear.. Only managed to drive for 3 sessions & then my power steering pump decided to stop working.. I guess it did not like those long sustained stretched in 3rd gear up to 7800 rpm! The brakes worked awesome with the suspension.. The Auto-x was a struggle because it was a cold day out there & could not get the wanted grip out of the tires.. but still managed to place well.. The speed stop was also struggle due to not being my favorite thing to do.. I did not want to lock up my front tires & get flat spots..

Last edited by Cris@JCG; 05-17-2015 at 11:45 AM.
Old 04-30-2015, 06:27 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Nice job out there Cris, it was sweet hearing that thing fire up and run...

Where did you find that Optima pic online? i cant find their link to the pics they took this weekend...please dont tell me its facebook...lol

Mike
Old 04-30-2015, 09:23 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

That's awesome, Cris! Congrats on the purchase. I'd keep it a solid lifter SBC just to be different, but I understand the desire to go LSx. Good luck with the build and competitions.

Current rides: 2000 BMW 540i/6 and 86 C10.

Former ride: 1979 Trans Am WS6: LT1/T56, Kore 3 C5/6 brakes, BMW 18in rims
Old 04-30-2015, 09:41 PM

It sounds like this car has some history behind it and came from a loving home. With the caliber of cars you build its definitely in good hands. I'm looking forward to seeing more!
Old 04-30-2015, 09:46 PM

That's one great looking car Cris, congrats. I know it's going to be a handful by the time your done!
Old 04-30-2015, 10:05 PM

You should put a hemi in it...

Cool car and neat that it's got the history. Have fun with it!
Old 04-30-2015, 11:50 PM

Sellers should have screened the buyers a little better....

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBasher View Post
2004 NASA AIX Mustang LS2 #14
1964 Lincoln Continental
2014 4 tap Keezer
Old 05-01-2015, 10:40 AM

Thank you Mike! Yeah all the action pictures I have gotten right now are from FaceBook..

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassman View Post
Nice job out there Cris, it was sweet hearing that thing fire up and run...

Where did you find that Optima pic online? i cant find their link to the pics they took this weekend...please dont tell me its facebook...lol

Mike
I was thinking about keeping the SBC but 13.1 Compression ratio & have to run it on pump gas for 500 hp.. It just dosen't make sense when I can get 600 HP on pump gas out of a LS somthing.. I have a plan on keeping it looking vintage under the hood with a LS engine..

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSSix View Post
That's awesome, Cris! Congrats on the purchase. I'd keep it a solid lifter SBC just to be different, but I understand the desire to go LSx. Good luck with the build and competitions.
There is history behind this car & that is why I luv it! I don't plan on making it look super nice.. I just want something I can race the crap outta it & not worry about paint or other things

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilcraigford View Post
It sounds like this car has some history behind it and came from a loving home. With the caliber of cars you build its definitely in good hands. I'm looking forward to seeing more!
It will be something AL! as long as I am having fun..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Moreno View Post
That's one great looking car Cris, congrats. I know it's going to be a handful by the time your done!
I would "NEVER" put a Mopar motor in a Chevy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBasher View Post

Cool car and neat that it's got the history. Have fun with it!
I agree!! but they luv all the new changes that I have done.. Jan will be coming down to Camarillo one of these days & take a spin in it.. Or I will take it up to NorCal..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash68 View Post
Sellers should have screened the buyers a little better....

Old 05-02-2015, 02:39 AM

Love the 69 Cris!
Old 05-02-2015, 03:24 AM

First time I watched that Vette race was back in the 70s. The LT-1 was owned by a guy named Denny Greenwood....then Lynn Anderson....it's one of the reasons why there are 2 LT-1 Corvettes in my garage. You have a real 70 LT-1 there with great racing history. Speedy and Jan were great people to hang around with at the races.

I would go over the frame with a fine tooth comb looking for stress cracks and check the differential out....they tend to be fragile