Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Project Updates
User Name
Password

Old 05-02-2015, 09:11 AM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Thanked 1,076 Times in 384 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad-1stGen View Post
I sat out my 4th session figuring I was done for the day but then "one ore time" syndrome started and I decided that on my 5th and last session I would try and get near the back of the lineup and just go run some laps for fun. Which is exactly what I did. I decided not to even try and toe heel shift and to just focus on the braking in a safe and controlled manner. I got 3 laps in before I boiled the brake fluid again but I was having a lot more fun as I had taken the pressure off myself. Funny enough I ran my best time of the day in those three laps too.

The "pros" will all tell you "slow is fast"...... You're more relaxed - you're not sawing the wheel - stabbing the gas then slamming on the brakes.... so the average speed carried ramps up. You watch Hobaugh run an auto cross and you'd swear he's the slowest guy out there... til they post his time.

Not saying I can do this or drive like this - just relating what I hear and see all the time.

Glad you had a great time. Those that HAVE NOT gone to one of these events are really losing out.
Old 05-04-2015, 04:30 PM

More Autocross footage

63 Nova 'Low Budget G-Machine' *SOLD*
Old 05-04-2015, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregWeld View Post
The "pros" will all tell you "slow is fast"......
Not ALL... watch Popp or Maier sometime -- I know you have -- I am just saying... HAIR ON FIRE FTW!

2004 NASA AIX Mustang LS2 #14
1964 Lincoln Continental
2014 4 tap Keezer
Old 05-04-2015, 11:05 PM

So I finally made it out to an SCCA autocross this past Sunday. The San Diego Region gets a great turn out for the CAM class and are a great group of folks that I've seen around at some of the other SoCal events. They took me in and showed me the ropes of getting signed in and working a run session. Also, a great turn out on Sunday with 11 folks driving in the CAM class.

I don't know if all of the SCCA courses are this big but I was stoked to see how big the course was when I showed up. Also, it was cool that for the SDR guys when they get to use the west lot at Qualcomm there is a decent amount of rolling elevation changes that makes for some fun on and off camber turns. The only draw back to this location is the pavement there is way slippery. The slipperiest surface I've driven at an event. According to my GPS the course was .7 miles long. This compares to the Hotchkis Fontana event at .4 and GoodGuys Del Mar at .5.

Some pics of the SD CAM guys.

I still have all the Optima stickers on and my temporary SCCA number and info.

Lined up for our session

This pic is horrible but at least shows the lot. If you look at the light posts way in the back left, the course goes back there.

You only get 4 timed runs that count so I kicked off my first run by spinning at the finish. Did I mention this surface was slippery? This is one of the only times I've run the car that I didn't once have to worry about push and was chasing rear traction that whole time.

Here is the video of my spin and my last and best run. I came in 4th in the CAMT class.

Lots of autocross & track day videos of my car: https://www.youtube.com/user/TheDude023
Old 05-04-2015, 11:39 PM

Chad, you really get around these days.

I dig that spoiler as is... I say leave it. It'll disappear and blend in to the background if you paint it black.
2004 NASA AIX Mustang LS2 #14
1964 Lincoln Continental
2014 4 tap Keezer
Old 05-05-2015, 12:06 AM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Thanked 1,076 Times in 384 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash68 View Post
Not ALL... watch Popp or Maier sometime -- I know you have -- I am just saying... HAIR ON FIRE FTW!

When you have their seat time - and their skills -- then you can drive like that.... very few can do that.
Old 05-05-2015, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash68 View Post
Chad, you really get around these days.

I dig that spoiler as is... I say leave it. It'll disappear and blend in to the background if you paint it black.
Haha thanks Dave! I'm trying to get to as many events as I can. I penciled in Streets of Willow 5/9 but it looks like I'm not going to be able to get my brakes sorted before then. I know I don't have to tell you but man driving it is sure a lot more fun that working on it!!

The spoiler has definitely grown on me and does help the car stand out from every other red first gen Camaro out there. I'm still not sure if I will leave it or paint it black. Though I refer you to my comment about driving it instead of working on it... it may be a while before I paint it Been thinking about adding some black vinyl sticker "war stripes" on the front fenders to help distinguish the car more too, which if I did that I would for sure paint the spoiler black. Tired of everyone asking me if I'm driving Sal's car from TCI ha ha

Lots of autocross & track day videos of my car: https://www.youtube.com/user/TheDude023
Old 06-02-2015, 12:41 AM

I have a few updates on the car.

I finally got the manual brake upgrade completed and replaced my brake pads after toasting them in Vegas at the Optima Challenge. The brake effort is only slightly more on the street but the effort is actually less at threshold braking and now hopefully more consistent than my intermittent assist I got before from my low vacuum motor. Also, installed a new bracket that Currie makes for their rear end to help reduce pad knock back when on the road course.

New master cylinder set up sure looks a lot better than the old one.

The car became drivable again on Saturday so I headed straight to San Diego for the SCCA autocross the next day on Sunday. What better way to test out my new brakes! Both times I've gone, the courses they have at Qualcom for the SDR SCCA are the funnest autocross courses i have done. They are really big and nice and spread out.

Shot of the pits. There were 19 competitors between the three CAM classes.

I had a very fun and successful outing and won the CAM T class!! Very excited about that.

Any most of my winning run. Had some trouble with my phone so it cut off part of my run. My best time was 58.8 as seen in the above pic.

Old 06-02-2015, 01:32 AM

Nice work Chad!!! Talk about hitting it running.

Looks great with the silver front spoiler too.

Dealer for
ACCUAIR rideheight control systems
ENTROPY RADIATORS XXX radiators for your pro-touring vehicle
FORGELINE MOTORSPORTS Highline custom 3 piece wheels
WEGNER AUTOMOTIVE Custom engines and LSX drive systems
SPEEDTECH PERFORMANCE Bay Area stocking dealer

NEVER FORGET -11
Old 06-02-2015, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince@MSperfab View Post
Nice work Chad!!! Talk about hitting it running.

Looks great with the silver front spoiler too.
Thanks Vince! It was a fun day. The silver color has grown on me. Will probably leave it like that for a least a little while.

I've been thinking about painting it black and adding some black war stripes / fender stripes to the front quarter. It gets old having everyone think this is Sal's TCI car