Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Project Updates
User Name
Password

Old 12-29-2015, 07:28 AM

Marty that's some great advise and couldn't agree with you more.
Old 12-29-2015, 07:58 AM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Maybe I missed it. Is that an original hugger orange z28 split bumper? Very desirable car if so!

Syborg nailed it. My advice mimics his. Keep is running as much as you can during the build. It will keep interest up.
DEFINITELY paint it last.
2018 GMC Denali HD
Old 12-29-2015, 08:47 PM

Doing all the labor yourself? If so the $35k seems about spot on. That's about what I had in parts doing a similar project, bought a nice, restored running 72 w/ a 355 and changed every single part until it's a pro-touring setup w an LSA supercharged LS lol. I got burnt on labor for the stuff I didn't do myself going multiple times over budget due to a variety of things out of my control.

My advice, be very specific w/ vendors on what fits and how, even reputable ones can be totally wrong and not want to admit it, costing you a ton of time (or labor $). I specifically had this issue w/ custom works who is very big in the second gen world (all over Nasty z28). Same thing w/ Hurst Driveline, they both made things right but not after I paid God knows how much extra in labor trouble shooting "bolt in" parts they sent which were flat out the wrong part that had to go back.
Old 12-30-2015, 06:31 PM

I like the orange and white stripes also. Remember some of these guys have been working on pro-touring cars for years. Myself included, although I am now finished.

One step at a time...

Roger
Old 12-30-2015, 09:53 PM

Marty's advice is great! I completely agree about going with Kore3 brakes and SpeedTech suspension. I'm biased or experienced. You decide. Whose control arms are on the car now? They may be good and worth keeping.

Here's my honest opinion about the car. It looks great until you open the hood. There is so much just thrown into the engine bay with no real thought. This is a good thing. It means you have a good running car with loads of potential. With only a little bit of change and some elbow grease you can have a great looking car. Even better, it won't cost you a lot so you can save your money and spend it later on modifications but it will have a substantial impact on how the car looks.

You can do simple things like paint the inner fenders and hood hinges maybe. How's the under side of the hood look? Clean up the wiring and brake lines. Absolutely no color coded crimp connectors like that yellow one on the wiper motor. Get an electric fan on there. Change the radiator hoses to ones that fit and look good. Those valve covers are fantastic and expensive. I'd keep them because I personally like them. Get the headers recoated and get rid of the cheap chrome dipstick or anything else that's auto parts store chrome simply to be one more chromed part under the hood. Is the battery mounted correctly? Get the cables changed out to better looking and fitting ones.

These are all ideas that I pulled out from a glance at the car. The point is not to pick on it and show you all that's wrong. It's to show you all that's just waiting to be changed and will make the car look great. You just have to decide what direction you want to go before you start. Having a consistent theme or look makes a world of difference no matter what your tastes are. If you'll notice, all high end builds or builds in general that turn heads hold a theme or style throughout the entire car.

So I'd concentrate on maximizing what you've got so you can enjoy driving the car. After all, it's a running driving car now. Save you money and collect the parts as you go. Build in stages with a game plan and stick to it. This will allow you to have a lot of fun with the car while sticking to a budget.

Good luck! You've got a great looking car to start with.

Current rides: 2000 BMW 540i/6 and 86 C10.

Former ride: 1979 Trans Am WS6: LT1/T56, Kore 3 C5/6 brakes, BMW 18in rims
Old 12-31-2015, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by syborg tt View Post
Trust me paint it last.

Marty-MJ
www.garagescene.net

Considering the amount in my budget that is a gaurantee. LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by will69camaro View Post
Maybe I missed it. Is that an original hugger orange z28 split bumper? Very desirable car if so!

Syborg nailed it. My advice mimics his. Keep is running as much as you can during the build. It will keep interest up.
DEFINITELY paint it last.
That is the plan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLJ676 View Post
Doing all the labor yourself? If so the $35k seems about spot on. That's about what I had in parts doing a similar project, bought a nice, restored running 72 w/ a 355 and changed every single part until it's a pro-touring setup w an LSA supercharged LS lol. I got burnt on labor for the stuff I didn't do myself going multiple times over budget due to a variety of things out of my control.

My advice, be very specific w/ vendors on what fits and how, even reputable ones can be totally wrong and not want to admit it, costing you a ton of time (or labor $). I specifically had this issue w/ custom works who is very big in the second gen world (all over Nasty z28). Same thing w/ Hurst Driveline, they both made things right but not after I paid God knows how much extra in labor trouble shooting "bolt in" parts they sent which were flat out the wrong part that had to go back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Poirier View Post
I like the orange and white stripes also. Remember some of these guys have been working on pro-touring cars for years. Myself included, although I am now finished.

One step at a time...

Roger
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSSix View Post
Marty's advice is great! I completely agree about going with Kore3 brakes and SpeedTech suspension. I'm biased or experienced. You decide. Whose control arms are on the car now? They may be good and worth keeping.

Here's my honest opinion about the car. It looks great until you open the hood. There is so much just thrown into the engine bay with no real thought. This is a good thing. It means you have a good running car with loads of potential. With only a little bit of change and some elbow grease you can have a great looking car. Even better, it won't cost you a lot so you can save your money and spend it later on modifications but it will have a substantial impact on how the car looks.

You can do simple things like paint the inner fenders and hood hinges maybe. How's the under side of the hood look? Clean up the wiring and brake lines. Absolutely no color coded crimp connectors like that yellow one on the wiper motor. Get an electric fan on there. Change the radiator hoses to ones that fit and look good. Those valve covers are fantastic and expensive. I'd keep them because I personally like them. Get the headers recoated and get rid of the cheap chrome dipstick or anything else that's auto parts store chrome simply to be one more chromed part under the hood. Is the battery mounted correctly? Get the cables changed out to better looking and fitting ones.

These are all ideas that I pulled out from a glance at the car. The point is not to pick on it and show you all that's wrong. It's to show you all that's just waiting to be changed and will make the car look great. You just have to decide what direction you want to go before you start. Having a consistent theme or look makes a world of difference no matter what your tastes are. If you'll notice, all high end builds or builds in general that turn heads hold a theme or style throughout the entire car.

So I'd concentrate on maximizing what you've got so you can enjoy driving the car. After all, it's a running driving car now. Save you money and collect the parts as you go. Build in stages with a game plan and stick to it. This will allow you to have a lot of fun with the car while sticking to a budget.

Good luck! You've got a great looking car to start with.
I am paying for labor which sure eats the budget. Met with the mechanic last night and here is what we are doing so far.

Painless wiring harness will eliminate and rewire all those goofy wires
Needed power steering pump
Needed new air compressor all vintage stuff other than that was good
Ididit steering column
MSD atomic fuel system
New gas tank and set up for new fuel system
New battery
New radiator
New inner fenders
New billet specialties hood hinges with the gas shock
New Hood latch
Car has a 4l80 e so going get a converter for it.

Bought SW rims even though was not ready but will be eventually for wheels some time. HAHA

Where we stand now.
Old 01-01-2016, 11:05 AM

Sounds great. Nice score on SW's rims. I love those rims and might have a set one day.

Current rides: 2000 BMW 540i/6 and 86 C10.

Former ride: 1979 Trans Am WS6: LT1/T56, Kore 3 C5/6 brakes, BMW 18in rims
Old 01-01-2016, 11:08 AM

First thing is to clean up everything that you already have on the car. You are mentioning billet hood hinges, steering column etc. You already have those things that are currently working on your car. Upgrade parts last, replace bad parts first.
I would clean everything up in your car, replace the rubber floor mats as the rubber looks cheesy and Replace the steering wheel. Now your interior looks better than most of them out there

After that address the inner fenders and wiring at the same time. Route the wires behind the fenders for a cleaner look. If you have access you can then paint the subframe while your at it, address suspension issues etc

You won't learn how to fix your car if you don't try. Thats how most of us started. I now know every stinking wire on my car
Old 01-01-2016, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSSix View Post
Sounds great. Nice score on SW's rims. I love those rims and might have a set one day.
Thanks alot

Quote:
Originally Posted by randy View Post
First thing is to clean up everything that you already have on the car. You are mentioning billet hood hinges, steering column etc. You already have those things that are currently working on your car. Upgrade parts last, replace bad parts first.
I would clean everything up in your car, replace the rubber floor mats as the rubber looks cheesy and Replace the steering wheel. Now your interior looks better than most of them out there

After that address the inner fenders and wiring at the same time. Route the wires behind the fenders for a cleaner look. If you have access you can then paint the subframe while your at it, address suspension issues etc

You won't learn how to fix your car if you don't try. Thats how most of us started. I now know every stinking wire on my car
I work 60 -70 hours a week and have a five year old involved in gymnastics. If had to do work on the car it would never get done and would not want to post those pics either. lol I respect people who can do all that work there self and can feel proud of it. I am just not that type of person really wish I was but am in no hurry for this car to be done want it done right and way it is if need more time to save money that is the way it is.

My shop is going make all new a/c hoses and make the wiring look super neat and clean. I bought a NRG steering wheel and quick release with the new column. I am going to dynamat and replace all the carpet with new floor mats but just not worried about that until that happens. Trying figure out which front seats to go with looking at cerullo, tmi, or 05/06 gto seats. Will tackle that once car is done with this shop and is mini tubbed.

Will keep everyone posted once some progress is made waiting on parts to come in and couple things before anything will be done. Guessing month to six weeks from now fuel system, wiring, and a/c should be completed but will see and will post pics when it is.
Old 02-02-2016, 11:01 AM

Well stopped by the shop yesterday doing the work on my car. It is coming along so far say the least. HAHA I have the motor at the machine shop being repaired from the flat cam that did some damage. Having a hydraulic roller cam installed and everything redone. While the motor is out have the transmission at the transmission shop being refreshed just cause bought a used car might as well and having them installing a yank 3200 converter in the 4l80e I ordered from Yank.

Since no motor and transmission went ahead had the subframe taking off to send to get repowder coated. I also sent the spindles, springs, and few other things to get powder coated as well.

Had the shop take all the interior out since going to rewire the whole car with a painless wiring kit and install all new dynomat. Soon as subframe comes back and other parts will go to mini tubber to get that done and going have him smooth out the firewall since the redneck just cut a huge whole for the vintage air.

Making progress trying have car done before Hot rod power tour that is my goal but will just have to see.