Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Project Updates
User Name
Password

Old 10-20-2016, 09:14 AM

I finally had some free time to take the Corvette out - and beat on it.

2 weeks ago - the local 1/4 mile drag strip was open. Zmax is never open for Test and Tune - but they where open one night for the Nascar shops - so I went racing with them.

I got 3 runs in - and managed not to break the car.

My times where:
13.1 @ 111
13.7 @ 115
13.5 @ 121

I didn't launch the car hard off the line - I barely have 1k miles on the clutch. I rolled into the throttle and screwed up the 1-2 shift twice.

My video of the runs:

Last weekend I was able to go autocrossing finally.

I autocrossed with the local CCR-SCCA chapter - and went autocrossing in the big parking lot at Zmax Dragway.

I was in the first run group - and on my first run - it was only 54* outside. On the last turn of my run - I gassed it to hard and ended up kicking the rear end out and I slid right into the timing box.

This ended up cracking my side splitter in 3 spots - but luckily the door and rest of the car where fine. There is a small scratch in the clear coat on the door - that will probably buff out.

My times for the day where:

Run 1: 95.752
Run 2: 90.086
Run 3: 90.022
Run 4: 86.403

I managed to drop time each run - I just wish we had one or 2 more runs and I might have been able to drop more time.

Video of the runs:

Last edited by bonecrrusher; 10-20-2016 at 09:16 AM.
Old 11-08-2016, 11:17 PM

Tons of potential left for AutoX. Video looked like a nice Sunday cruise. When you get everything broken in and some more track time, car should be killer!

2002 S-10, Daily Driver and autoX
1966 Chevelle MALIBU ( mine since 1971) Drag car converting to a track car!
Old 11-20-2016, 11:06 AM

Not my Region, not my issue to worry about. But... Those timing lights are way too close to the course for a finish line that close to the final turn.
Old 12-13-2016, 11:14 AM

Long time no update!

A few weeks back I took the Corvette out on Charlotte Motor Speedway for their charity laps. I drove for one session - and rode along in my buddies new Z06 for the second session.

I ran into a lot of traffic on the session that I drove - here is some footage from my laps:

SS Update:

I have had the V wheels on the SS for well over a year now - and I have never really been happy with the center caps that I put on there. I had a set of ACE Wheel center caps leftover from the Zr1 replicas that I had on my C6. I had plastidipped them and put them on.

They looked alright - but I wanted something new. I happened to find out the 6th Gen Camaro center caps are the same as the C6/C7/V - and so I ordered a new set of "SS" center caps for the new Camaro. I got them in a few days and really like them.

Heres an overview of the centercap install:

Old 01-20-2017, 04:16 PM

I just finished updating the front end of the truck.

I had installed the 2014+ 1500 rear bumper on my truck - but I always felt that I need to do something about the front.

So I looked at my setup - chrome 2500 grill, billet bro truck grill, and the red GMC logo.

I already blacked out the billet grill as I posted earlier - but I wanted to change the front end of the truck.

I wanted my 2500 to look like the midnight/black series that the current trucks are doing.

So I picked up a 1500 GMC work truck grill and decided to paint it body color.

I rattle canned the rear bumper and that turned out really well - so I decided to use Duplicolor on the front grill.

I had some paint supplies left over from the bumper project - so I only had to pick up a few cans of paint to paint grill.

I sanded the grill - primed/base/clear coated it - and then wet sanded and buffed it. I think it turned out great!

While I was in there I decided to install the new fog lights that my girlfriend had gotten me like 2 years ago.

After I installed the grill and the fogs - I had to raise the front bumper approximately 2" to fill the gap between the grill and bumper.

I cut the 2500 brackets to clear the frame - and then I added washers/spacers to raise up the mounting points for the bumper and bolted everything together.

Here are some pics of all of the projects - I also removed the GMC logo and plastidipped it black. I think the final product turned out pretty kick ass:

I also filmed these mods - if you are interested I added all 4 videos to my Youtube channel below:

Last edited by bonecrrusher; 01-20-2017 at 04:23 PM.
Old 01-20-2017, 06:22 PM

Corvette Updates:

Awhile back I posted where I crashed the Corvette and tore up the side skirt.

I got the side skirt after a few weeks - and finally had time to install it!

Here is the old skirt vs new - the install went pretty smoothly with no issue.

Here is an overview of the install:

I also decided to clean up the Elite Engineering Catch Can. The catch can came with some nickel finished fittings that I never liked. I ordered some black 1/4" NPT to 3/8" Hose barbs from Fragola - and Vibrant performance. I installed the new fittings with no major issue - I really think it cleaned up the catch can installation.

SS Updates:
The next mods where to finish removing more of the old man chrome on the exterior.

I did a group buy here in the Carolinas and ordered 3 upper black trim - and 3 lower black trim pieces to go around the windows.

Lower Trim Install:

Upper Trim Install:
Old 02-01-2017, 12:56 PM

SS Update time!

Back on Black Friday - I saw that a KZ Coatings was offering 25% off powder coating for a set of Brembos calipers.

So I placed an order to get a set of Brembo cores powdercoated red for the SS.

While I was waiting for the brakes to come in - I happened to see that the new C7 Z06 Corvettes (Non CCB) are the same front brake calipers as the 09-13 CTS-V and the first gen ZL1's. What makes the C7Z different from the V/ZL1 are the pistons within the caliper themselves. The calipers on the Z are vented - vs your traditional brake piston. These vents supposedly drop brake temperatures by 90* F.

I figured since the brakes are torn apart - I might as well do the upgrade since I'm in there. I worked with KZ coatings - and ordered the upgraded pistons from RockAuto and had them shipped there.

The Part Numbers are:
C7 Z06 Vented Stainless Caliper Pistons: 23242510

KZ assembled the calipers with the new vented Z pistons - and shipped them my way. The install went pretty quick as I had already done this upgrade once - everything bolted on.

After bleeding the brakes and going for a test drive - I packaged up my silver brembos and sent them back to KZ and got my core refund back.

Some pics:

Overview of the install:
Old 02-01-2017, 11:09 PM

All vehicles looking good!

2002 S-10, Daily Driver and autoX
1966 Chevelle MALIBU ( mine since 1971) Drag car converting to a track car!
Old 03-14-2017, 07:07 AM

To start the build of my SS - I picked up a set of Kooks 1 7/8" Long Tube Headers.

I picked these up on Cyber Monday 2 years ago - and spent less then $600 for the long tubes.

I've had these sitting for awhile because I was busy with the E-Force install on the Corvette.

That has been finished up - and its time to start this winters project.

These headers are stainless steel - and a vast improvement over the stock restrictive exhaust manifolds.

The install was pretty straight forward - remove the stock air intake, remove the coil packs/spark plugs/spark plug wires - and you will have plenty of room to get the stock parts out.

Remove the exhaust manifolds by starting at the bottom - remove the factory catback pipes.

Remove the O2 sensors - and then go back to the top of the car.

Remove the exhaust manifold bolts and let the exhaust manifold rest on the frame/motor mounts.

Get back under the car - and pull the stock manifolds out.

While still under the car slide up the Kooks headers from the bottom - let them rest on the frame/engine mounts.

Go back to the top of the car - grab the headers and put in one bolt to allow you to mock them into place.

After you get the headers in place - install the gaskets - install the rest of the bolts and you will be done.

Install the O2 sensors - and whatever catback you go with - and you will be good to go!

Now for some pics:

For my full review/install please watch my video here:

Old 03-15-2017, 02:50 PM

After I installed a set of Kooks Long Tube headers on the SS - I needed a way to connect my headers to the Corsa Catback. To accomplish this, I welded in a set of High Flow Cats to my Kooks/Corsa connection pipes.

I used a set of Offroad J-pipes from Kooks for a Pontiac G8.

When used on the SS - they are 3" short so I needed to added in 3" of pipe.

To make up the difference I cut a few inches out of each J pipe - and added in the high flow cats.

I cut the J pipes in 2 - removed a few inches - and then added in the cats. I then took these assemblies to the car - and tacked everything together after I tightened down the front and rear hardware.

After getting everything mocked up - I removed the pipes/cats - fully welded them on the table - and then cleaned up the welds.

I installed the finished pipes, installed the O2 sensors - and the project was finished.

Parts Used:
Kooks Corsa J Pipe: 24203150 - http://amzn.to/2qXBjXh
Kooks Long Tube 1 7/8" Stainless Headers for Chevy SS - http://amzn.to/2rWD4Hr

Now for some pics:

Last edited by bonecrrusher; 06-07-2017 at 04:18 PM.