Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Open Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 01-21-2017, 09:40 PM
Supporting Manufacturer

HydratechBraking.com

Default Discontinued GM Parts help

Hi Guys - I hate to bug you with such a trivial thing, though sure could use some help finding two discontinued GM parts if possible:

GM 22527023, which is a factory Olds rollercam thrust plate used on the '86 - '90 Olds 307 VIN Y / 9 with roller cam (retrofits perfectly into the '68 - '76 Olds 455). An overlooked fantastic factory item that I have run before in many Olds big block roller conversions over the years that I wish the aftermarket would now reproduce. (works way better than the puny little thrust button cam bolt conversion that everybody has) (shaped like a thermostat housing gasket and fits behind the timing chain secured by the two oil gallery plugs).

and

GM 8655976, which is the factory Grand National / Monte SS 200R4 governor assembly (auto shift points at 5200 +/-). A nice plug n play item that will save me from having to putz around with spring and weight changes.

After a solid decade, I am FINALLY closing in on getting my 8 liter / 488 Olds stroker project on the road this spring - hooray! But... parts that used to be commonly available have since evaporated into "unobtanium" and I cannot find them anywhere today for any amount of money (of course, right?). I have ordered these in through GM SPO many times over the years. Had I had the foresight to know better, I would have ordered in multiples, but that's a whole different discussion... Yes, I could work around these two items, though I'd rather turn the earth upside down to find them if needed. I will gladly pay a finders fee / premium for anybody that can score these two parts for me! I prefer Genuine GM NOS, though will consider good used in perfect condition if certified as in excellent condition.

Never mind Coker Tire discontinuing the reproduction 15 X 10 Olds SSII Rallye wheels I have used many times literally 6 weeks before I was ready to order (!)

I know these parts exist somewhere on somebody's shelf or stash, but cannot seem to turn them up for the life of me.

Jody / mods, I know this shouldn't be here in open discussion, though please let it stay for a moment - thanks!

Please contact me at "paul at hydratechbraking.com" or respond to this forum post - thank you kindly!

Paul M. Clark <-- the Ukrainian - Slava Ukraini !
Founder / Master Engineer
Hydratech Braking Systems ®
www.hydratechbraking.com
Old 01-23-2017, 05:41 PM
Supporting Manufacturer

HydratechBraking.com

Angry Damn...

Add another little gem that has now also become UNOBTANIUM when I wasn't looking:

https://www.cantonracingproducts.com...ILTER-ADAPTER/

Anybody have a time machine?

www.hydratechbraking.com
Old 01-23-2017, 10:11 PM

Paul

I've got a buddy who's an Olds guy. Ill check with him for you.
Old 01-23-2017, 10:21 PM

Check eBay:

Oldsmobile V8 Except Diesel Steel Roller Camshaft Thrust Plate
Part No. CC-224
$71.46

Shipped from Australia
Old 01-24-2017, 08:06 PM
Supporting Manufacturer

HydratechBraking.com

Hi Jim - thanks much for taking some time to check into this for me. I do appreciate it! The Aussie Ebay deal turns out to be the Comp Cams 224 package, which I already have on hand, finding it is just the usual cam bolt with the brass bumper on it package. That is what drives me nuts about the internet searches, in that even Comp Cams doesn't have the listing details accurately in place:

http://www.compperformancegroupstore...=ThrustBearing

And then Summit is showing the same generic image, which is actually a Ford spec item - note how it uses the same image as the Aussie Ebay listing:

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/c...b/applications

Here is an accurate image of the live CC-224 part:

https://www.amazon.com/Cams-224-Thru.../dp/B001GBVJK2

I have found some of these factory roller cam equipped Olds engines in the local Nashville area salvage yards, though they only want to sell me the entire engine / core as opposed to digging out just the part that I want (even though I would pay the same!). Push come to shove, I'll buy a whole core just to scrap everything out except for the little gem that I need (but dayam, talk about going a hundred miles out of your way to get to the neighbors house LOL!). For all of the hassle, I am contemplating patterning this Olds cam thrust plate once I have it in my hands for reproduction, though it seems there is no market for it. Same with the discontinued Canton Racing oiling system block adapter.

The only option I have found with the discontinuance of the 15 x 10 Olds SSII Rallye wheels is to ship my 15 x 7 factory wheels out to have them widened - here is a place I have been contemplating to do the work:

www.thewheelsmith.net

Let me know who else I could also look to for doing a superb job of widening the factory chromed SSII wheels if needed?

Yes, I am working real hard to keep this 442 looking as stock as possible to the untrained eye, while packing one helluva an unsuspecting punch should I decide to open up the can of whoopass. Here is it's predecessor:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5lNicZS-L4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=daaTT2Igrus

www.hydratechbraking.com
Old 01-31-2017, 09:15 PM
Supporting Manufacturer

HydratechBraking.com

Thumbs up Bringing parts back from the dead

In today's modern LS world, I actually do wish that I could afford to put the latest LT4 supercharged direct injected Vette engine into my build instead of the 45 year old dinosaur Olds 488 stroker

The good news is that I am in discussions about having the Olds roller cam thrust plate and the Olds oil filter relocation plate reproduced:

http://classicoldsmobile.com/forums/...ust-plate.html

If there is anybody else out there that may be interested in these two parts, please chime in either here or at the Olds 'site! Bringing parts back out of extinction!

www.hydratechbraking.com

Last edited by Hydratech®; 01-31-2017 at 09:17 PM. Reason: fix link
Old 05-28-2017, 10:17 PM
Supporting Manufacturer

HydratechBraking.com

Talking Back From Extinction Now :)~

I have finally reproduced the factory Oldsmobile camshaft thrust plate!

http://www.hydratechbraking.com/imag...hrustplate.JPG

http://www.hydratechbraking.com/imag...rustplate2.JPG

After a TON of research into materials, and very extensive testing and study of the original part, I decided to have these run in an expensive heavy duty bearing grade bronze material. I also changed the design a bit, as the factory thrust plate provided a whopping .030" of end play, which I modified in our design down to .010" end play. The OEM version was made out of an annealed steel - Rockwell hardness testing was surprisingly soft at 38. These will fit all standard Oldsmobile engines with any type of camshaft, and every timing chain design I have tested - total control of camshaft end play = no timing light bouncing around, overall smoother engine run as a result. Remember, this is not something I came up with, this is a very rare Oldsmobile "million dollar engineering" part that unfortunately went extinct about 20 years ago that I have now very carefully reproduced. Original part number GM 22527023.

I have eleven of these currently in stock as of this writing, because I haven't had time to even post about them yet, much less market them. Let me know if you are interested - $105 plus UPS ground shipping. If / when these do go into regular production, costs may come down with larger production runs. And yes, the stock non roller oil gallery plugs work just fine to mount it. Private message or e-mail if interested at the e-mail address below. Please don't call the standard Hydratech phone, as Jim is not aware of this product (essentially no idea).

NOTE: WILL NOT FIT THE 403 DUE TO REVISED OIL GALLERY LOCATIONS

Paul M. Clark
Hydratech Braking Systems
www.hydratechbraking.com
[email protected] <--------

www.hydratechbraking.com