Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Project Updates
User Name
Password

Old 09-24-2016, 08:40 PM

Default My 1967 Mustang

Hello, my name is Trevor and I'm pretty new to this website but have been following the pro-touring scene for a while now. I'm the proud owner of a pile of rusty metal that vaguely resembles a '67 Mustang coupe, which I got as my first car when I was 15. I bought the car from a family who had owned it since new, but it had been a Southern California car so it's pretty rough. Long story short they moved to Northern California at some point then had to sell it and I was the lucky kid who had no idea what he was getting into. The plus side of the car is that it is completely mechanically sound, a little worn out, but everything works. I am now 17 and have been working at my buddies family's body and paint shop for almost 2 years. I currently have the car at the shop and am doing all the metal and body work. Any tips/suggestions are much appreciated.

Now this is my first time ever doing this level of work to a car, so naturally my plan is to build a "street legal" racecar. This will take me a while as I'm still in school, so I guess this leads to my list of projected parts.

Body: Already have 3.25" fiberglass flares all the way around, and the front clip, from Maier Racing. Not too sure on the paint scheme yet but I'll spray some primer on it in the meantime. Open to suggestions.

Chassis: Complete front coilover setup and rear leafs from Mike Maier Inc. Ford 9" along with some subframe connectors. I have some big Wilwoods and one of their master cylinders already for stopping power.

Driveline: This is the part where it gets crazy. SRI Performance will sell you a near complete 358 Roush Yates Cup motor for about the same price as building a high HP smallblock. Somewhere down the line I'd like to slap one of those in the car along with a Rankin 4 speed that can handle the power. This might not be very realistic but if I go this route it will be long down the road. A classic Mustang with a cup motor may sound familiar to some of you.

Interior: Not too concerned with this aspect of the car. I have a fixed back Sparco racing seat and soon to have a track-spec roll cage. I know it's against the norm of pro-touring cars to not have a decent looking interior but I'm on a budget.

When I first got the car:

After some disassembly:

What it will look like minus the grille and headlights:

I would love some insight on the car as honestly I'm coming in to this knowing nothing but what I read on the internet. Thanks for looking at my thread!
Old 09-24-2016, 09:17 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Welcome to the site, Trevor. I like the front end with those flares. Good luck with the build. My only suggestion is to make school your priority and start small. You can always make further changes through the years.

Current rides: 2000 BMW 540i/6 and 86 C10.

Former ride: 1979 Trans Am WS6: LT1/T56, Kore 3 C5/6 brakes, BMW 18in rims