Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > EFI and Forced Induction
User Name
Password

Old 05-14-2007, 10:13 PM

No problem.

The timing #'s sound right. We were at 24* prior to adding an intercooler. I have a firend w/ a 406 SBC running upper 20's on pump gas with his blowthrough system.

You hit the nail on the head as for timing/detonation. My best advice is to stay conservative. Have a couple sets of NGK's on hand (we used 9's hot-air and 8's with cooler temps) and you should be able to read the ground strap. Pull all 8, keep a real close eye on the porcelean and sneak up on it. Tuning via mph is still a good process if you know your car and are willing to weather correct.
Old 05-14-2007, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64duece
You hit the nail on the head as for timing/detonation. My best advice is to stay conservative. Have a couple sets of NGK's on hand (we used 9's hot-air and 8's with cooler temps) and you should be able to read the ground strap. Pull all 8, keep a real close eye on the porcelean and sneak up on it. Tuning via mph is still a good process if you know your car and are willing to weather correct.
Thanks again Dennis.

Wow, those are cold plugs. I think I'm running BKR7ES plugs at the moment; I'm trying to balance street driving vs "beat on it" driving and the 7's seem to be OK; if I cruise the car lightly they look a little loaded up (even though I have the engine running quite lean at light loads) and if I beat on it then shut it down they look a little on the hot side but not scorching hot. Think I should go a little colder? I am running water injection so that is probably helping my plug choice quite a bit.

Still wishing an ion-sensing knock detection setup was cheaper than $20K or so.

Last edited by Blown353; 05-14-2007 at 11:21 PM.
Old 05-15-2007, 06:40 AM

Most of our stuff is pure race, not much idle cruize time I've run the 7's in the mid boost levels (10-14) and did have them in at 18lbs without "noting" problems but, I wanted to work out the timing without having a glow plug being a cause of problem. I played it safe and went to the 9's, they we're a little cold for sure. The 8's were fine, I was playing it safe.

I'll probably run 7's in my twin turbo 565 street beater. defiantly want to keep the plugs clean in there. It'll never see more than 12 to 14lbs and has water to air w/ heat exchanger.
Old 05-15-2007, 11:28 AM

To answer the question, no you dont need an IC to drive the car around and will make decent HP most of the time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qH13mJ3-vSk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZYB1PtiOng
Old 11-13-2007, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64duece
As Jody pointed out....cooler charge means more power per/lb of boost.

A few years ago we tested intake air temps on a well built 355" SBC running 18lbs of boost. We started our testing w/ 240* intake air temps and made 720hp. We made controlled pulls on the dyno and lowered the intake air temp to a respectable 140*. Our next pull was really lean indicating there was more air density. Once we added the fuel, we noted 807hp.

With our new intake air temps, the engine now responded to added timing. Our first 2* netted 20hp across the board. Our next 2* netted an additional 20hp across the board totaling 847hp. That's a 20% increase in power! We stopped there as the combination was out of fuel pump and injector.
In your last sentance, That would not have happened if you were using Methanol Injection! 1). Methanol Injection would pick up where your fuel system falls short seeing it's a fuel and another injector! with this said that also means it lowers your injector duty cycle quite a bit and you don't have to wory about intercooler heat soak.. Plus you loose the weight of the intercooler and don't spend a fortune on race gas...
ALOT of possitives to Methanol Injection..

1986 Buick T-Type "Test Car"
DSE Equipped!
Old 11-14-2007, 12:08 AM
Administrator

Thanked 1,443 Times in 625 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by boosted6
In your last sentance, That would not have happened if you were using Methanol Injection! 1). Methanol Injection would pick up where your fuel system falls short seeing it's a fuel and another injector! with this said that also means it lowers your injector duty cycle quite a bit and you don't have to wory about intercooler heat soak.. Plus you loose the weight of the intercooler and don't spend a fortune on race gas...
ALOT of possitives to Methanol Injection..

and some negatives. For example, if you're using the methanol as additional fueling as you state, and there's a failure in the system or you run out of alky then you have a good chance of damaging your engine. Many people do not tune for it for that very reason, although then you are losing most of the benefits of running alcohol injection (the ability to run more boost and timing on pump gas). Although I run water and/or alky injection on all my forced induction builds, running an intercooler is never a bad idea. There are cases where an intercooler is very hard to package, and the alky is a great way to go Actually, for heat absorption straight water is even better, but you lose the additional fueling and the slight octane boost of using alky.

My opinion, run both if possible.

Jody

PAST CAR PROJECTS

Like Lateral-G on Facebook!

Follow Lateral-G on Instagram!

SPECIAL THANKS TO:
Jacob Ehlers and Amsoil for the lubricants and degreasers for my 70 Chevelle project
Shannon at Modo Innovations for the cool billet DBW bracket
Roadster Shop for their Chevelle SPEC Chassis
Dakota Digital for their Chevelle HDX Gauge Package
Painless Performance for their wiring harness

Ron Davis Radiators for their radiator and fan assembly.
Baer Brakes for their front and rear brakes

Texas Speed and Performance for their 427 LS Stroker
American Powertrain for their ProFit Magnum T56 kit
Currie Enterprises for their 9" Third Member
Forgeline for their GF3 Wheels
McLeod Racing for their RXT street twin clutch
Ididit for their steering column
Holley for their EFI and engine parts
Lokar and Clayton Machine for their pedals and door and window handles
Morris Classic Concepts for their 3 point belts and side mirrors
Thermotec for their heat sleeve and sound deadening products
Restomod Air for their Tru Mod A/C kit
Mightymouse Solutions for their catch can
Magnaflow for their 3" exhaust system
Aeromotive for their dual Phantom fuel system
Vintage Air for their new Mid Mount LS front drive
Hydratech Braking for their hydroboost system
Borgeson for their stainless steering shaft and u joints
Eddie Motorsports for their hood and trunk hinges and misc parts
TMI Products for their seats, door panels, and dash pad
Rock Valley Antique Auto Parts for their stainless fuel tank
Old 11-14-2007, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by camcojb
, and some negatives. For example, if you're using the methanol as additional fueling as you stated there's a failure in the system or you run out of alky then you have a good chance of damaging your engine. Many people do not tune for it for that very reason, although then you are losing most of the benefits of running alcohol injection (the ability to run more boost and timing on pump gas). Although I run water and/or alky injection on all my forced induction builds, running an intercooler is never a bad idea. There are cases where an intercooler is very hard to package, and the alky is a great way to go Actually, for heat absorption straight water is even better, but you lose the additional fueling and the slight octane boost of using alky.

My opinion, run both if possible.

Jody
To reply to the bold print above. I like to try and eliminate Negatives!! Thats why it's nice to have fail safe's built into your system! I have several on mine. I have a LOW LEVEL sensor so you won't run out of Methanol (it's not that hard to check the tank before you drive it!)..
The low level issue. If you have an injection system installed, it must have a functioning low level warning device. If left to chance, at some point you will guess wrong! Whether it’s a light behind the dash, on top of the dash, a factory “Low Warning” etc., the location must be clearly visible.

The only exception to this rule is on professional race applications that require foam added to the fuel cell to prevent excessive sloshing. In these applications it is common for fuel, water, oil, and other liquids be inspected after every run.

Ok, we’re sure system has liquid. Now another “what if”.

Second:
System test. A “fail safe” injection kit MUST have test button readily available for diagnostics. our PAC controllers feature a low-pressure test of the system. It’s important to note that this is NOT a full pressure test that could potentially hydro-lock an engine.

Ok, we tried the test button and the air/fuel changed. Now what?

Third:
Diagnostics. A Progressive System: This feature allows the system to begin spraying early with very low pressure and substantially before detonation assistance is needed. Once spraying begins an LED light is illuminated, indicating system activation. As the signal (MAP/MAF/Boost) to the controller increases so does the drive to the pump. Once the system pressurizes, the LED color will change from red to green. This indicates the system now has developed pressure and that hoses, connections, and pump are in proper working order. The “rate of change” from red to green give a predictability of the system. Any noticeable changes to this “transitional time” will be an indication of a system issue.

Examples:
The filter clogs…the system will transition from red to green instantly.
Nozzle clogs. (oops, can’t happen…we have a filter.) Someone pours a bag of sand into the tank…system lights up red, can’t make pressure, no green condition.
Bottom line, a well-designed, basic setup provides a simple, easy-to-diagnose system that is RELIABLE.

Scot w.

DSE Equipped!

Last edited by boosted6; 11-14-2007 at 01:55 PM.
Old 11-14-2007, 08:12 PM
Administrator

Thanked 1,443 Times in 625 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by boosted6
To reply to the bold print above. I like to try and eliminate Negatives!! Thats why it's nice to have fail safe's built into your system! I have several on mine. I have a LOW LEVEL sensor so you won't run out of Methanol (it's not that hard to check the tank before you drive it!)..
The low level issue. If you have an injection system installed, it must have a functioning low level warning device. If left to chance, at some point you will guess wrong! Whether it’s a light behind the dash, on top of the dash, a factory “Low Warning” etc., the location must be clearly visible.

The only exception to this rule is on professional race applications that require foam added to the fuel cell to prevent excessive sloshing. In these applications it is common for fuel, water, oil, and other liquids be inspected after every run.

Ok, we’re sure system has liquid. Now another “what if”.

Second:
System test. A “fail safe” injection kit MUST have test button readily available for diagnostics. our PAC controllers feature a low-pressure test of the system. It’s important to note that this is NOT a full pressure test that could potentially hydro-lock an engine.

Ok, we tried the test button and the air/fuel changed. Now what?

Third:
Diagnostics. A Progressive System: This feature allows the system to begin spraying early with very low pressure and substantially before detonation assistance is needed. Once spraying begins an LED light is illuminated, indicating system activation. As the signal (MAP/MAF/Boost) to the controller increases so does the drive to the pump. Once the system pressurizes, the LED color will change from red to green. This indicates the system now has developed pressure and that hoses, connections, and pump are in proper working order. The “rate of change” from red to green give a predictability of the system. Any noticeable changes to this “transitional time” will be an indication of a system issue.

Examples:
The filter clogs…the system will transition from red to green instantly.
Nozzle clogs. (oops, can’t happen…we have a filter.) Someone pours a bag of sand into the tank…system lights up red, can’t make pressure, no green condition.
Bottom line, a well-designed, basic setup provides a simple, easy-to-diagnose system that is RELIABLE.

Scot w.

Scot,

you obviously have a nice system, but there can still be failures, and a guy running through the gears at wot may not see the light changing, etc. Don't get the red to green instantly deal if the filter is plugged, seems like a red light is a better indicator of trouble. Now I have to watch how fast the led changes............I do know it's tough to watch lights/gauges when going wot with a 1000 hp street car. Unless your system would automatically cut boost and change the timing if there was a failure then you're still depending on the guy noticing the leds. I am not knocking it, as I said I use one on every build including my current twin turbo. Haven't tried yours, but have used 4-5 different ones and other than features they all seem to work well.

Also, you really should consider becoming a site sponsor.

Jody

PAST CAR PROJECTS

Like Lateral-G on Facebook!

Follow Lateral-G on Instagram!

SPECIAL THANKS TO:
Jacob Ehlers and Amsoil for the lubricants and degreasers for my 70 Chevelle project
Shannon at Modo Innovations for the cool billet DBW bracket
Roadster Shop for their Chevelle SPEC Chassis
Dakota Digital for their Chevelle HDX Gauge Package
Painless Performance for their wiring harness

Ron Davis Radiators for their radiator and fan assembly.
Baer Brakes for their front and rear brakes

Texas Speed and Performance for their 427 LS Stroker
American Powertrain for their ProFit Magnum T56 kit
Currie Enterprises for their 9" Third Member
Forgeline for their GF3 Wheels
McLeod Racing for their RXT street twin clutch
Ididit for their steering column
Holley for their EFI and engine parts
Lokar and Clayton Machine for their pedals and door and window handles
Morris Classic Concepts for their 3 point belts and side mirrors
Thermotec for their heat sleeve and sound deadening products
Restomod Air for their Tru Mod A/C kit
Mightymouse Solutions for their catch can
Magnaflow for their 3" exhaust system
Aeromotive for their dual Phantom fuel system
Vintage Air for their new Mid Mount LS front drive
Hydratech Braking for their hydroboost system
Borgeson for their stainless steering shaft and u joints
Eddie Motorsports for their hood and trunk hinges and misc parts
TMI Products for their seats, door panels, and dash pad
Rock Valley Antique Auto Parts for their stainless fuel tank

Last edited by camcojb; 11-14-2007 at 08:17 PM.
Old 11-14-2007, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by camcojb
Scot,

you obviously have a nice system, but there can still be failures, and a guy running through the gears at wot may not see the light changing, etc. Don't get the red to green instantly deal if the filter is plugged, seems like a red light is a better indicator of trouble. Now I have to watch how fast the led changes............I do know it's tough to watch lights/gauges when going wot with a 1000 hp street car. Unless your system would automatically cut boost and change the timing if there was a failure then you're still depending on the guy noticing the leds. I am not knocking it, as I said I use one on every build including my current twin turbo. Haven't tried yours, but have used 4-5 different ones and other than features they all seem to work well.

Also, you really should consider becoming a site sponsor.

Jody
The LED's are placed right by your boost gauge or the gauge you would look at the most.. but Your right, there can still be failures on anything but the more fail safe's taken, the better. I will become a site supporter and pay for advertising when the funds are better. right now i'm recovering from a ankle fusion and recovery is 3-4mo. short term disability only goes so far.
Scot w.

DSE Equipped!