Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Open Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 03-30-2015, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregWeld View Post
I did an international fireworks competition in Seoul - set up on barges in the Han river..... The Kimchee isn't bad -- it was the "roasted snails" and the long drop toilets that were hard to get used to.... LOL
Seoul is awesome. Very clean, friendly folks, very safe, great public transportation.

I like kimchee, but not something that I'll miss much when we leave.

Car scene in Korea/Seoul is a bit strange -- the status symbol is the big black 4 door Hyundai sedan. Don't see many sporty rides; very small percentage of what you see on the roads. And almost no vintage iron; locals are not fans of older cars.

Scott
1966 Fairlane GT Convt, 428 CJ, owner built toploader 4 sp
Old 03-30-2015, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asifnyc View Post
Hey Scott,

couple of comments... first, NAPLES???!! you're supposed to be moving to CALI! what's the hold up??? although it will be amazing if you finish the Javelin and do a track day at Monza!

second, don't know if you ever saw the video I made of the dash I built for my car? it's just a few pieces of aluminum rivited together. weighs nothing and gets the job done. don't know if you're looking for a less home brew style?
Asif -

Good to hear from you! Not sure if you saw the progress on the custom adjustable UCA's on the AMC forum, but the prototype is done. Last I heard the fabricator wanted 5 sets pre-ordered before he did a run. He was going to work on LCA's, too. Need to remind him to ship your stuff back when he's done with it.

Dash is close to what I'm looking for; thanks for posting the video. Haven't seen it yet.

Yeah, I was hoping for California after Korea, but can't really argue with Naples! Will be looking for something to zip around in while I'm there - maybe late 60's/early 70's Alfa GTV 1750 or 2000, Fiat Dino coupe, or perhaps a Lancia Delta Integrale HF.

Scott
Old 03-30-2015, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solid LT1 View Post
Like I told the guys running the Pontiac motored Trans Ams and AMC Javelins one year at the Monterey Historics, I have nothing but the greatest respect for the guys running the "othermobiles" Camaros and Mustangs are a "piece of cake" compared to running one of these (although a $3K timing cover to run Holley Domiantor IR carbs on a 69 Boss isn't any cakewalk...)

Nice project, I always loved the fender lines on those AMC 2nd gens...right out of the T/A 'cheaters handbook"
Definitely not as much out there for an AMC build, but it's not always a bad thing. If you wanted aluminum heads for a Gen 1 SBC, how in the hell would you choose? For an AMC, you really only have two choices.

What's painful is the suspension bits and brakes. Not much aftermarket support at all if you want something that's suitable for a track car.

If I do another similar car, would love to to a 69 Trans Am clone. It's not a 69 Camaro, but can use same suspension packages. Would run a Pontiac motor, of course.

Thanks

Scott
Old 03-30-2015, 04:53 PM

Fellow Javelin owner here, and from the looks of it you have just about everything you need with all the hard stuff done. If you want a car heavily focused on track use, I would pretty much copy what Asifnyc has done.

It gets tricky when you want a street/track car

My car is 100% street car, so I've had plenty of compromise on cam choice, and interior comfort and things like that.

As far as suspension and brakes, the basics are available from control freaks suspension, and Wilwood brakes.
Old 03-30-2015, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike343sharpstk View Post
Fellow Javelin owner here, and from the looks of it you have just about everything you need with all the hard stuff done. If you want a car heavily focused on track use, I would pretty much copy what Asifnyc has done.

It gets tricky when you want a street/track car

My car is 100% street car, so I've had plenty of compromise on cam choice, and interior comfort and things like that.

As far as suspension and brakes, the basics are available from control freaks suspension, and Wilwood brakes.
Well, Control Freak has a suspension package for about $4,000, I think. Not optimized for track use. Their UCAs and LCAs are quite expensive and not adjustable. Nice stuff for a street car, but not really what I'm looking for.

Wilwood brake kit for the front is limited to smaller rotors. Again, more of a street kit.

Thanks

Scott
Old 03-31-2015, 07:47 AM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulletpruf View Post
Seoul is awesome. Very clean, friendly folks, very safe, great public transportation.

I like kimchee, but not something that I'll miss much when we leave.

Car scene in Korea/Seoul is a bit strange -- the status symbol is the big black 4 door Hyundai sedan. Don't see many sporty rides; very small percentage of what you see on the roads. And almost no vintage iron; locals are not fans of older cars.

Scott
We did two years in Seoul back in 86-88 living in Hanam Village outside of Yongsan. The compound we lived in backed right to Itaewon and was completely surrounded on all sides by Korean houses. They cleaned it up ALOT getting ready for the 88 Olympics and it sounds like they've kept it clean which is good.... our experience there was far different. Dirty, nasty, smelly, heavy, smog, tear gas a couple times a year from riots at the college down the road protesting Americans being there by jumping off buildings on fire killing themselves. A month after we left the housing area was raided, gate gaurds beaten up, numerous residents vehicles stolen or flipped and burned The general population in the city was a mixed bag... some were very very nice people, some were very very shifty. A couple times a year there would be a GI that would get beaten up from getting stupid in the local bars and then subsequent riots- likely a well deserved beating but it just reinforced that there were times that we didn't go out of the compound without parents.

I always remember driving anywhere was an adventure. Driving laws were just suggestions out there.... anything was fare game... sidewalks, wrong ways.. Scooters piled with 10' of crap strapped on the back would zip between traffic and down the sidewalks. The Busses ruled the road and they let you know it- if they wanted your lane they would push you out of the way A friend's mom had a 80s Chevy station wagon well appointed with the purple marks from multiple run ins with the Korean busses... after a while they learned to stay out of her way. Kias and Daewoos were everywhere and were disposable... I saw so many small wrecks where they crushed like aluminum cans. My Dad had a green 75 Chevy C10 Van that they were always trying to buy off of him because they did LOVE American cars.

Outside of the city was beautiful but the people were very poor. We traveled around outside of Seoul a few times... went up to the DMZ...(the "Demilitarized zone" supposedly "neutral ground" right on the border between North and South Korea where they would have talks) walked on the North Korea side of the conference room. Walking up to that building is definitely intense.

The smell of KimChee was everywhere- everyone had their giant ceramic pots on their balconies to ferment. I massively expanded my comic book collection in the countless comic book shops where you could pick up old issues for the equivalent of about .05, mastered Shinobi in the numerous arcades, and got into racing RC cars. Definitely an interesting time in my life. I wish I was older and could have appreciated it more.

Sounds like your project is heading in the right direction! Good luck and enjoy your time overseas!

1970 Chevelle I built years back as a Lat-G Feature https://lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=43116
Old 03-31-2015, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revved View Post
We did two years in Seoul back in 86-88 living in Hanam Village outside of Yongsan. The compound we lived in backed right to Itaewon and was completely surrounded on all sides by Korean houses. They cleaned it up ALOT getting ready for the 88 Olympics and it sounds like they've kept it clean which is good.... our experience there was far different. Dirty, nasty, smelly, heavy, smog, tear gas a couple times a year from riots at the college down the road protesting Americans being there by jumping off buildings on fire killing themselves. A month after we left the housing area was raided, gate gaurds beaten up, numerous residents vehicles stolen or flipped and burned The general population in the city was a mixed bag... some were very very nice people, some were very very shifty. A couple times a year there would be a GI that would get beaten up from getting stupid in the local bars and then subsequent riots- likely a well deserved beating but it just reinforced that there were times that we didn't go out of the compound without parents.

I always remember driving anywhere was an adventure. Driving laws were just suggestions out there.... anything was fare game... sidewalks, wrong ways.. Scooters piled with 10' of crap strapped on the back would zip between traffic and down the sidewalks. The Busses ruled the road and they let you know it- if they wanted your lane they would push you out of the way A friend's mom had a 80s Chevy station wagon well appointed with the purple marks from multiple run ins with the Korean busses... after a while they learned to stay out of her way. Kias and Daewoos were everywhere and were disposable... I saw so many small wrecks where they crushed like aluminum cans. My Dad had a green 75 Chevy C10 Van that they were always trying to buy off of him because they did LOVE American cars.

Outside of the city was beautiful but the people were very poor. We traveled around outside of Seoul a few times... went up to the DMZ...(the "Demilitarized zone" supposedly "neutral ground" right on the border between North and South Korea where they would have talks) walked on the North Korea side of the conference room. Walking up to that building is definitely intense.

The smell of KimChee was everywhere- everyone had their giant ceramic pots on their balconies to ferment. I massively expanded my comic book collection in the countless comic book shops where you could pick up old issues for the equivalent of about .05, mastered Shinobi in the numerous arcades, and got into racing RC cars. Definitely an interesting time in my life. I wish I was older and could have appreciated it more.

Sounds like your project is heading in the right direction! Good luck and enjoy your time overseas!
Sean -

Sounds like it's changed a lot.

I suppose Seoul and Korea are a bit dirty compared to some of the nicer cities, but not filthy.

We live on base - Yongsan. Hanam Village is still open, but shutting down. Much of Yongsan and Area I (2ID) is moving down south to Camp Humphreys.

We have periodic protests, but small, quiet, and peaceful.

VERY little violence against servicemembers. The violence is usually US servicemembers against each other. Sometimes US against local national. Very rare for Korean to attack US servicemembers.

Driving is still pretty intense. Zero traffic enforcement except by cameras. Red lights are just a suggestion to stop. Scooters are nucking futs! All over the sidewalks, running lights, passing on the shoulder, etc. Love the homemade scooter pickups, too -

See all sorts of types of transportation - not sure exactly what this is, but I've seen a few:

Lots of Kias, Hyundai's, Daewoos, etc. Most folks buy a $1,000 Hyundai Sonata beater for their tour. They're everywhere and the locals can easily fix them. I got lucky and bought a 99 Yukon 4x4 for $1,000.

Have been to the DMZ; definitely intense.

Thanks,

Scott