Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > EFI and Forced Induction
User Name
Password

Old 03-27-2015, 07:45 PM

Default LQ4 with magnacharger

Hey guys
I have an 04 LQ4 with a Magnacharger kit. Wanting to upgrade a bit. It was refreshed and had forged pistons and studs installed. I was thinking about changing the heads out for L92 and a cam. Hoping someone with tuning experience will chime in.
1 - older model Maggie with rear intake and intercooler. Not even sure what L this charger is.
2 - recommendation on parts combo that's works. Would this combo of heads and a FI cam be to much for this charger.
3 - What else would I need to change (injectors, fuel pump)?
4 - thinking I would need a custom tune. Would this be a nightmare to find someone to tune it? Don't want to end up with something that won't even run.
Old 03-28-2015, 08:12 AM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69 Pilot View Post
Hey guys
I have an 04 LQ4 with a Magnacharger kit. Wanting to upgrade a bit. It was refreshed and had forged pistons and studs installed. I was thinking about changing the heads out for L92 and a cam. Hoping someone with tuning experience will chime in.
1 - older model Maggie with rear intake and intercooler. Not even sure what L this charger is. Most likely an MP112. So 112 cu inches displacement
2 - recommendation on parts combo that's works. Would this combo of heads and a FI cam be to much for this charger. What are your power goals? You can do a lot by just milling your current heads to raise compression and putting a small cam in there. No need for new heads most likely.
3 - What else would I need to change (injectors, fuel pump)? Those are probably 42 lb injectors on the blower now. What color are they? Power goals will dictate the changes. I'd bet fuel pump only.
4 - thinking I would need a custom tune. Would this be a nightmare to find someone to tune it? Don't want to end up with something that won't even run.Yes, you'll need to retune the engine.
My answers are in blue. You've got a perfectly good setup to build on. You need to determine exactly what you have now before you start changing parts though. You also should think about your goals so you can make the proper changes.

Current rides: 2000 BMW 540i/6 and 86 C10.

Former ride: 1979 Trans Am WS6: LT1/T56, Kore 3 C5/6 brakes, BMW 18in rims
Old 03-29-2015, 12:07 AM

Default Thanks

For the reply. I don't believe higher compression is the way to go. Your right though, I just picked up this engine and I will pull it apart and see exactly what I'm working with.
I thought a general rule for FI engines is low compression higher boost is more effective. I was thinking about the better heads because any engine regardless of aspiration is a pump and it's more about how much air u can move through it.
I dont think having a power goal in mind will help, rather the best way to upgrade and spend the money where I'll see the best returns.
Thanks for all replies there are a lot of very smart talented people on this awesome site.
Old 03-29-2015, 07:01 AM

You could definitely swap to a smaller pulley and up the boost. If the original pulley is on the blower, you're only producing 6 psi. Yes, lower compression higher boost can produce more power. However, there comes a point when the compression is low compared to power output of the engine that unless the engine is making boost, it's a turd. You're not there, but you can handle an increase in compression easily and increase boost at the same time. Add a cam and you can greatly affect dynamic compression within the engine. Admittedly, I'm biased towards higher compression lower boost engines on street cars.

Adding better flowing heads will do wonders. The issue is cost. Your stock heads are by no means poor quality heads. They can easily support more boost and a different cam. I would make other changes first. Your blower won't fit on L92 heads also.

Do you have headers and an exhaust system on this vehicle?

Without a power goal or budget in mind, you could end up running in circles. It's a great way to waste time and money. What is the intended use of the vehicle? That can help dictate what type of changes you should focus on so that you not only make great power but you make power where you need it.

Old 03-29-2015, 10:11 AM

Default Thanks Trey

"Your blower won't fit on L92 heads also."
These are the answers I'm looking for. I very much believe in doing my research before I start buying parts. Every part I choose will be because it works as a whole package.

I'm new to FI so I'm looking for advise. I do have a power number in mind, 600 hp with a good trq curve down low. My cars are street cars.

To be honest I'm trying to decide if I'm going to keep the blower. I would like to keep it because of throttle response,where they make power in the rpm range and of course the cool factor. I talked to the machine shop and I have a good forged piston with a static compression of approx 8 to 1 with my 317 heads. so a good base for a blower motor.
But there's some killer NA combos out there making the power I'm looking for, for a good price.
Any suggestions.
Old 03-29-2015, 05:47 PM

Personally, I love Maggies for the exact reason you specified. They make great street blowers. If you want 600hp crank, that's fairly easy. At the wheels is another story. I'd stay with the blower since you have it already.

What I would do is get in touch with a shop that does FI builds. Tell them your goals and see what cams they recommend. I'm no good at blower cam recommendations. You might be surprised at how small and mild the cam they spec for you ends up being. You should be able to reach 600hp crank with a pulley and cam. I would still prefer to see some head work simply to not push the blower so hard. That's my preference sort of like raising compression. If you jack up the boost, keep an eye on your intake air temps when pushing the motor. You may also need to invest in a water or meth injection kit. Doubtful if you're not beating on it hard and for longer periods but higher boost creates a lot more heat.

Make sure your exhaust is up to the task as well.

For reference, I did an LS1/T56 with a nonintercooled Maggie, so 5.5 psi, with a small blower cam, mild ported LS6 heads, and 1-3/4 inch headers with 3inch exhaust through a Random Tech cats. The result was 550hp at the wheels. Torque was 450-460 at the wheels and very flat. I stopped at 6200rpm and hadn't reached peak HP yet. Fun motor and very easy to drive with the mild cam.

Good luck.

Last edited by WSSix; 03-29-2015 at 05:52 PM.
Old 04-07-2015, 10:32 AM

Any recommendations on fuel pump requirements? Going in a 68 chevelle so starting from scratch. Psi? Gpm?
Old 04-07-2015, 06:14 PM

Check out Mark Stielow's builds for JackAss 2.0 and Hellfire. Also, look into Vaporworx who is a sponsor. There is a lot of information about pumps and fuel supply in the threads I recommended. I'd recommend a GM pump unit. I'd imagine a ZR1 or LSA piece will work just fine for you.

Old 05-08-2015, 01:06 PM

I, personally, feel as though 8:1 is far too low of a compression ratio. That thing must be a dog when not in boost... Good thing it has a positive displacement blower on it.

If you aren't cramming another atmosphere (15psi) or more into your engine, there is no reason not to maintain a 9.5+:1 compression ratio.

My advice to you is to keep the maggie, port/pulley it to around 12psi, add a second heat exchanger(*), and bump your compression to 9.5:1 or 10:1with new pistons or decking the heads (or a combination of the two).

Note (*): second heat exchanger...
Normally, the coolant leaves the blower, flows through a heat exchanger (HX) and into the reservoir, then from the reservoir to the blower.

In my proposed configuration, there will be a second heat exchanger placed between the reservoir and the blower. So:

Blower -> HX -> reservoir -> HX (#2) -> back to the blower.

The second heat exchanger doesn't have to be nearly as large as the main (1st) HX. But should still be large enough to make a difference.

If you aren't shooting for 30psi, and if you ever plan to drive it on the street, do yourself a favor and fix that 8:1 compression ratio first thing.