Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Brakes
User Name
Password

Old 03-25-2015, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72Z/28 View Post
Ok here is my problem I hope I can get a solution for it. I have a Ford 9" rear end with end flanges holes having dimensions matching the Big Ford New Style end flanges. The car previous had wilwood rear brake kit, dynalite 4 piston calipers. The calipers on both passenger and driver sides were biased towards the center of the car. The passenger side was much worse to the extend that the outboard pistons could not move to push the outboard pad.

Shims could not help obviously. So based on some members recommendations from another forum, I was advised to go with Wilwood floating rear brake kit(Wil-140-12209) D154 calipers. With offset of 2.50"

I installed the kit but I have no clue how the calipers are supposed to fit with respect to the rotor. I know the fixed calipers are supposed to be centered on the rotor.

However, with the floating caliper, the calipers are also biased towards the center of the car. There is almost 1/2 inch gap between the inboard pad and the rotor, which makes the brake pad too loose on the caliper. The passenger side outboard pad is binding on the rotor making it a tight fit and have difficulty in rotating the rotor.

So I need to rsolve this brake issue and would appreciate if you could share a photo of how the flaoting caliper is supposed to fit in terms of rotor between the inboard and outboard pads
You've got a lot going on and we have questions. Can you call (805) 987-STOP and ask for Jason?
Old 04-08-2015, 09:00 AM

If I run your 4 piston setup in the front of my Camaro, should I run your 2 piston setup in the rear? I remember you made a post about this topic, but I can't find it.
Old 04-08-2015, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jr View Post
If I run your 4 piston setup in the front of my Camaro, should I run your 2 piston setup in the rear? I remember you made a post about this topic, but I can't find it.
No, you should run a 4 piston caliper in the rear as well. The reason to use the 4 piston is not so much clamping force, but pad size. The bigger pad of the 4 piston caliper lasts longer and is more heat resistant for a given compound. We then use piston size in the rear caliper to balance the system. Post up what you have for front calipers/pistons (i.e. F4’s with 1.75 pistons), vehicle weight and use. Provide that, and we can get you a recommendation.

We would also recommend going to a dual master cylinder setup for fine tuning the bias with the balance bar.
Old 12-29-2015, 11:38 AM

As you're looking at ways to improve your car during the off season, think about your brakes. And let us know if you have any questions.
Old 12-30-2015, 10:49 PM

I have a 2016 a Mustang GT with the a performance Package (6 piston Brembos) and was curious if you make, or know of, a pad that doesn't create any dust... Or as much as I have now.

Also, do you make rotors for a 2001 Cobra?

Thanks

Jesse