Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Project Updates
User Name
Password

Old 05-24-2016, 10:01 AM

Perfect testament to a well built vehicle, being run hard, put away wet and taking it like a champ. Thanks for the update and keep the pics and updates coming. Love reading about others out thrashing on the cars (and trucks) they've built with their own hands.
Old 05-24-2016, 10:06 AM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Thanked 1,076 Times in 384 Posts

Just fantastic Sean!!!

Give your brake question to Ron Sutton - I'll guarantee he'll have something that will help.
Old 05-24-2016, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregWeld View Post
Give your brake question to Ron Sutton - I'll guarantee he'll have something that will help.
Ask Ron about the springs as well, if the 450's are needed let me know.....what are you at now? 450F/250R?
Looks good and I'm glad you're hooked!
Old 05-26-2016, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSLance View Post
Perfect testament to a well built vehicle, being run hard, put away wet and taking it like a champ. Thanks for the update and keep the pics and updates coming. Love reading about others out thrashing on the cars (and trucks) they've built with their own hands.
Thanks Lance, the truck really has done very well. Not even the around the track stuff, just staying in one piece. I have to say coming from a love of the LS engine that this engine is pretty fantastic. It is very docile around town and has excellent driveability. Just the truck staying together, no leaks of anykind to speak of and its a great driver. Probably my personal favorite of all the cars I have built so far.

Quote:
Just fantastic Sean!!!

I plan on it. I am going to attend his class in Ohio before the Goodguys event in July, hoping to get some good info on setup, since I really know very little it should be fun =)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBasher View Post
Ask Ron about the springs as well, if the 450's are needed let me know.....what are you at now? 450F/250R?
Looks good and I'm glad you're hooked!
Will do. Yes, 450f/250r springs still. I know I need stiffer springs but love how it rides on the street. Starts to blend the line between street car and track car. Maybe stiffer springs and soften up the coilovers on the street?

Went and picked up the KTM from my buddies house the other night in the f100. Whats nice is you dont really need a ramp to get it in or out

Shooting for autocross out in the gorge on Saturday.

See if I can get the brakes all cleaned up again, they are glazing over after a track day.

Sean
Old 05-26-2016, 09:35 AM

Too "unglaze" those -- you're going to probably have to have .005 turned off of them - or more if they're warped from your track day.

You won't be able to drive them "clean".
Old 05-26-2016, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Too "unglaze" those -- you're going to probably have to have .005 turned off of them - or more if they're warped from your track day.

You won't be able to drive them "clean".
After the last track day a friend told me to hit the rotors with red scotch brite and it worked very well. I got the bite back that I was missing. I also hit the pads with some 220 grit stuck to a flat board and it worked very well.

Pretty sure I have the wrong pads on the truck, need to get that sorted out soon.

I read that the glazing is caused by getting the pad too hot for too many cycles, is that correct?

Sean
Old 05-26-2016, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hackster View Post
After the last track day a friend told me to hit the rotors with red scotch brite and it worked very well. I got the bite back that I was missing. I also hit the pads with some 220 grit stuck to a flat board and it worked very well.

Pretty sure I have the wrong pads on the truck, need to get that sorted out soon.

I read that the glazing is caused by getting the pad too hot for too many cycles, is that correct?

Sean

You're info is right on! And yes - you can deglaze the pads with some 80 grit -- and "rough up" the rotor..... but obviously that's real stop gap.

Brake pad glazing is caused when the brake pad friction material is overheated.
This results in crystallized friction material on the pad surface and the brake disc.
Typical symptoms of glazed brake pads include: Poor stopping performance, vibration or brake judder, and cracks or fissures in the brake pad material.
Pad glazing is typically caused by operating the brake pads at a temperature above the specified temperature range of the friction material or not properly following the 'Bedding-in' instructions for the brake pads. Always follow the manufacturers brake pad bedding-in instructions and use a brake pad that has a temperature range that is sufficient for its intended use.
Old 05-27-2016, 11:51 PM

Quote:
You're info is right on! And yes - you can deglaze the pads with some 80 grit -- and "rough up" the rotor..... but obviously that's real stop gap.

Brake pad glazing is caused when the brake pad friction material is overheated.
This results in crystallized friction material on the pad surface and the brake disc.
Typical symptoms of glazed brake pads include: Poor stopping performance, vibration or brake judder, and cracks or fissures in the brake pad material.
Pad glazing is typically caused by operating the brake pads at a temperature above the specified temperature range of the friction material or not properly following the 'Bedding-in' instructions for the brake pads. Always follow the manufacturers brake pad bedding-in instructions and use a brake pad that has a temperature range that is sufficient for its intended use.
In prep for getting ready to autocross this weekend I pulled the front brakes apart again and found the pads still had plenty of meat on them but were severely glazed over and one had some pretty good cracks and even a spot that looked like it was going to break out of the middle of the pad on one.

I scuffed the rotor and put in a set of new pads (They were the only ones I had and a backup I kept in my tool box).

Holy crap, I did not know how bad those other pads were until I went for a spin to bed in the new pads. Brakes are back.

Going to get through this weekend, see how it does and order up some proper pads for it next week.

Truck and trailer are all loaded up and ready to headout first thing in the morning.

Hope you all have a good holiday weekend.

Sean
Old 05-28-2016, 08:18 AM

Go out there and get 'em Sean!
Old 05-30-2016, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Go out there and get 'em Sean!
Thanks Greg,

Truck did great Saturday and I had a really good time. It was just a fun run but they were timed and the ORPCA posted up some results. Truck was fastest in its class of Non porsche RWD street tire. I was happy with that. The fastest cars out there were really fast, some of those guys are all about autocross all the time.

69 cars, an I was in the top 20 or so with the loose results.

I have a few things I need to work on. Driving the truck harder for one. Stiffer springs for another. Its going to get more body roll when the tires get bigger so it needs more spring. Going to order those tomorrow.

Looking forward to working on the truck again soon. Been working on house projects the past few weeks....wife is happy about that though

Ill see if I can post some pics of the weekend up.

Thanks for the support.

Sean