Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Project Updates
User Name
Password

Old 12-15-2011, 09:39 AM

Default Ironworks is building a 1962 Bel-Air with a Blown LSX-376 and an Ironworks Chassis

UPDATE - after Greg's loss of interest in the big OL Bubble top, We did some trading for this car and my 57 Chevrolet and I put a chassis under this car and have had it in storage for a couple years. Well It is now under new ownership for a 6'8" customer from Las Vegas. Alot of the same concepts will be incorparated into this project as originally planned. We are looking for a 2016 debut with this car and ton of billet parts.

We have been hinting about this project for a while, so here we go. Greg asked me if I could build him a 1962 Bel-Air Bubble top for him earlier this year. He said he would let me use the car to promote our 58-64 Impala X frame replacement frames we have been working to bring to market for quite a while. He said the car had to have laser straight paint and have a bitchin interior. But he said he hated these cars but his son loved the 62's. I just happen to have a 1962 Bubble top clone I had bought off craigslist early this year for this very reason.

Well at SEMA this year my good friend and fellow car builder Neil Lea finished up a super slick 62 black bubble top with an fuel injected 409. Greg came home from SEMA and said that was one of his favorites of the entire show, I knew we were on to something when he went from hating them to actually noticing one and saying it was one of his favorites at SEMA. He may still hate them but times are changing.

So on to the build. Greg said he wanted big power, not the kind of race car big power that goes down the back stretch at Spring Mountain, but the kind that will plant you back in the seat as you get on the freeway. So we looked to GM Performance parts for their LSX-376 and put the big Magnuson Super charger on top with the Wegner front drive system. I have been told 700hp is easy with this. But we want the big torque number at 2500-3000 rpm. That should be no problem. As Greg and I began talking he wanted to make the car a driver but also wanted it built with some really nice one off parts. We have gotten pretty good at this Solidworks thing and have some guys who helps make up look good ( Bob, Eric, Matt ). So it was decided that we would machine a billet grille and headlight bezels like no one has ever seen. We would do the same with the side trim and a really bitchin dash. We purchased some SL500 front seats and are working to get those mounted in the car for the features they offer and the comfort. We are working to fill this car with top of the line features that you would find in a new car and hope we can do that with the ISIS system.

A few months back I stumbled on to this Lexus that I saw at SEMA that for some reason was the initial inspiration for this build.

Well I then found these other wheels from HRE that just really got my wheels spinning about how to build a 1962 Bubble top that was really quite different. I thought these wheels would do it. We have been selling HRE wheels for a long time and know there is no better quality then their wheels. I knew that these were a must have on this project. I got to tour their facility the day before Thanksgiving this year and let me tell you the work they put into them justifies the expense when you see the vast selection of details and colors of coatings. The styles of some of the wheels have to be seen in person to really understand. Pictures on the internet do not do them justice.

Last edited by ironworks; 03-23-2015 at 11:35 AM.
Old 12-15-2011, 09:52 AM

OH MAN I can't WAIT to watch this baby come together !!!!

Release the design hounds gentlemen !

Jim

https://lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=5109
Old 12-15-2011, 09:53 AM

wow really frames for a 58 thru 62 ! i have always wanted one for my 62 .
Old 12-15-2011, 10:03 AM

Oooohhh, I'm excited about this one!!!!

STZ
concept . chassis . body . paint

[email protected]

www.settintrendz.com

www.facebook.com/settintrendz
Old 12-15-2011, 10:04 AM

Well Time for some pics. Here is shot of the Magnuson Super charger bolted to the LSX-376 with the Wegner front drive system meant for these blowers. It runs the blower belt behind the water pump and relocates the drive system forward. The valve covers are from Katech. The engine will be DBW and will incorporate our new line of wiring harness's that will come wrapped and equipped with mil-spec connectors.

The car when I bought it seemed really solid. But after I got done having the car dipped we found that the outer rocker and floors were pretty solid but that somehow the inner rockers we junk I'm not sure how that happens. So of course that takes quite a bit of work to cut out perfectly solid rockers and floors to get to the inner rockers.

The quarters had the typical trace rust on the lower edge and the outer wheel tub was JUNK. Since we knew we wanted the car as low as possible and wanted to run a 295 rear tire. We went ahead and built some rear wheel tube to maximize the room over stock and not have to rework the stock wheel tubs because of rust and shape.

Now as you can see in this picture the peak on the replacement quarter was not the same as the doors. To some people that small thing might be addressed with Bondo, but we went ahead and cut in new metal we formed to match the doors so there are no paint shrinkage issues and its right.
Old 12-15-2011, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyd View Post
wow really frames for a 58 thru 62 ! i have always wanted one for my 62 .

You know it's comments like this that put you one step lower on the ladder everyday.

Mr Davis your "62" truck frame is completed.
Old 12-15-2011, 10:07 AM

I just wanted to post to say I was on the first page of the longest build thread on Lateral-G! This should be good, buckle up people!

68 Chevy Pickup Project
Build Thread: https://lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=7505

THANKS TO: A&M Machine and Fabrication, CCTek (http://www.candctek.com), Hermance Design(www.hermancedesign.com), Paradise Road Rod & Custom, Harry Opfer Welding, Wegner Automotive Research, Clayton Machine Works
Old 12-15-2011, 10:22 AM

Well Like I said we started with that Lexus as a direction. We really thought this car in a brown to Dark gray would be bitchin. Then Greg discussed the lava brown used on his wife's Audi R8. We had also been in disscussion with Sean Smith about doing a few sketches and working with us for some ideas on the details of the car. We started out with a really loose sketch of the side view of the car and ended up with this. We were trying some ideas on putting a recess into the side trim and some other details into the car at this point.

We then decided we wanted to have a smooth transition in the side trim and carry the reveal a bit further forward on the side of the car. We also had the HRE 943RL wheels drawn into the rendering. I really feel this rendering helps put Greg and I on the same page with this car and starts to give the car a really different but very bad ass vibe. I'm really excited about the direction of this build.
Old 12-15-2011, 10:25 AM

Greg, That's going to be the.......BADDEST Bubble Top In THE UNIVERSE!!!
Old 12-15-2011, 10:45 AM

Cant wait to see this thing finished. I am subscribing!