Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Project Updates
User Name
Password

Old 04-09-2016, 04:04 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Default Still plugging away !

Still plugging away. Not much progress. I will upload some photos when the rear exhaust routing is almost complete.

Last edited by SlowProgress; 01-22-2021 at 12:47 AM.
Old 04-19-2016, 12:41 AM

Default A bit exhausting!

Well I did make a little progress although nothing like I expected. Stainless just cuts really slow and is hard to work with. I always forget that until I mess with it. This was my life the last few days.

I got the hole roughed in on the right side. I went really slow because I kept working on making it fit a little better. The cover needs some modification but here is how it will look.

This is my high tech way of aligning the segments. This fits pretty well so the left side I will just copy and it should be faster.

I think my hanger idea is going to work out ok. I thought I could just use a simple off-shelf part but I had to cut them all apart and weld the bits back togher at the right angles. I wasted too much time messing with it trying to use it as-is. Once I cut it apart it only took an hour to get it all aligned and tacked back up. The mufflers will get V-band couplings when the angles are all worked out.

Also, this wasted too much of my time this weekend. Seems like I was just stuck doing one sort of plumbing or another !

Next week finish the hangers, cut the left side hole and hopefully tack the whole exhaust together and have some feeling of getting this done!

Last edited by SlowProgress; 01-22-2021 at 10:52 PM.
Old 04-19-2016, 09:10 AM

Great job on your car, attention to detail top notch........like the hanger bracket- really nice.
Would you mind sharing the source of that flattened exhaust tubing or did you fab that yourself, Thanks!
Old 04-19-2016, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by F'in mine View Post
Great job on your car, attention to detail top notch........like the hanger bracket- really nice.
Would you mind sharing the source of that flattened exhaust tubing or did you fab that yourself, Thanks!
I bought it from Burns Stainless. There are other companies that sell it as well. I think Vibrant also sells an oval tube. The burns quality was pretty good. I bought a few odds and ends from Vibrant but haven't seen their oval tube. It should be pretty easy to find. Stainless is really expensive for sure!
Old 04-19-2016, 10:53 AM

Great fab skills, that exhaust is beautiful...your car off the chart.... 24 pages of wow

Last edited by ragz; 04-19-2016 at 11:20 AM.
Old 05-02-2016, 01:09 AM

Default A bit more exhaust progress

I didn’t get nearly where I wanted to this weekend but progress is progress.
I finished the trunk cutouts after routing the RH exhaust pipe. It seems like it took forever, definitely something that was slow and challenging to me
Once the RH was done, I just made a paper template and rolled the mirror image for the LH side.

Cutting and tacking the LH side took about a quarter of the time it took to do the right. It is nice to have the trunk roughed-in. I probably won’t finish the welding until I have all the other parts removed for bodywork. It will be much easier that way.

I moved on to start working on the LH tail pipe. It is pretty much just a copy the RH side, except where it is mirror image. There are quite a few compound angles and I got the pieces rough cut but not trimmed to the final shape.

I lost my cleco pliers, shop was dirty and I am tired so I quit for this weekend.

Next week I will just keep plugging away on the exhaust, hopefully I won't make a career out of it!

Last edited by SlowProgress; 01-22-2021 at 12:52 AM.
Old 05-02-2016, 02:59 PM

Exhaust looks nice, great progress.

Old 05-02-2016, 06:37 PM

Looks awesome Scott. I like the style of the the trunk reliefs, they turned out nice too!
Old 05-02-2016, 08:17 PM

Thanks guys. I was sort of burned out this weekend. That is a general sign I need to wrap up and move on to something else!
Old 05-26-2016, 12:39 AM

Default Cobwebs

Well the last few weeks have been busy with everything around the home except the Camaro. I figured I better post a short update so I could still find my thread. I had to wade through cobwebs just to find it!
Ole Yeller broke down a couple weeks ago and cost me a whole weekend repairing the cooling fan. I have toyed with the idea of buying a new TIG machine but I am so close to being done with metal work on this project I thought best to save the money for paint.

My dryer, pool pump, mountain bike and son’s car also decided to check out. Hot weather is upon us in Phoenix and everything needs to be done outside in preparation for a long hot Summer. I always forget how busy the end of Spring is here!
I haven’t really spent much time on the exhaust, ordered a few parts and fine tuning the fit a little.
I did pick up a new workbench which should be fun in the coming weeks!

Scott

Last edited by SlowProgress; 01-22-2021 at 12:53 AM.