Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Transmission and Rear End
User Name
Password

Old 02-26-2013, 10:39 AM

Default T56 Magnum White Lightning Shifter - update on the way

I just spoke to American Powertrain regarding the White Lightning shifter, and specifically asked them about leaking issues. I was talking to Jason in tech support, and he was quick to acknowledge that there is a leaking issue on the original design, but they have a new base design being machined right now which has a lip on the base to use a seal to stop the leaks. My guess would be that they are going to use something like the original Tremec seal, but I didn't ask for sure.

He said that they are expecting these to be ready within about a week. I didn't order one yet, I may try out the stock Tremec shifter first. But for those of you who have had problems in the past, maybe there is finally a solution.

On a related note, I recall reading that Hurst has updated the Blackjack similarly. Does anyone have experience with this updated version to know if the leak issues have been resolved? I'm trying to line up the shifter I want to use for TOW.
Old 02-26-2013, 11:46 AM

Spoke with Hurst end of last week, their's should be ready to ship in couple of weeks. They completely re-engineered the design and are standing behind their product for those of us that bought the original unlike the other company who promised their's was far superior to Hurst's and wouldn't leak.

Video's worth a thousand words..........

It leaked 60-80% more than the "inferior" Hurst product
Shifter feel and throw is similar, the WL may have a very slight edge but that's debatable. Hurst has went out of their way to take care of this situation financially and re-engineering the product with input from myself and others. This started in the summer of 2011 and I wasn't swept under the carpet.
Old 02-26-2013, 11:53 AM

Wow, now this shifter too? I know a few folks who changed from the Black Jack shifter to the White Lightning shifter specifically because their Black Jack shifter was leaking. That right there would be irritating. Thanks for sharing this information. I was interested in the White Lightning, but I think I'll just stick with the Tremec shifter and avoid the issues, regardless of upcoming 'revised editions' that don't leak like the first edition should have done. Where's the testing on these products? I guess we're the testers, using our own $$$ of course. Now, if a compay steps up and does a free replacement of the defective first edition with the corrected edition, then they're doing it right.

Last edited by chr2002ca; 02-26-2013 at 11:55 AM.
Old 02-26-2013, 11:54 AM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

I'm looking forward to the new White Lightning too. I installed 3 versions of the previous design -- and they all leaked.

For now, the customer is using the stock shifter. It doesn't leak, but it rattles.

I need a shifter that doesn't rattle or leak.

II Much Fabrication's Blog New products, Fabrication sequences, etc.
Old 02-26-2013, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chr2002ca View Post
Wow, now this shifter too? I know a few folks who changed from the Black Jack shifter to the White Lightning shifter specifically because their Black Jack shifter was leaking. That right there would be irritating. Thanks for sharing this information. I was interested in the White Lightning, but I think I'll just stick with the Tremec shifter and avoid the issues, regardless of upcoming 'revised editions' that don't leak like the first edition should have done. Where's the testing on these products? I guess we're the testers, using our own $$$ of course. Now, if a company steps up and does a free replacement of the defective first edition with the corrected edition, then they're doing it right.
Where the engineering lacked was consideration for utilizing the shifter in forward position which places it over the top of this gear........

A machine fit without an internal seal compounded by an internal case pressure of up to 10 psi won't control the oil slung by that gear.

Now if I hadn't built this cover to gain tunnel clearance which also conveniently serves as a shifter access panel............I'd have been seriously PO'd.

In the rear mounting position neither shifter leak, they just weep a little. So until the new shfter was engineered I'm running the Hurst in the rear position with these tunnel and console plates.

All said, having some redesign insight gives me confidence in Hurst's redesign. Being under the B&M umbrella is good and bad in that they have the resources but the corporate processes take time.
Old 02-26-2013, 01:36 PM

Sieg,

Thanx for the update on the BlackJack as well! I unfortunately read somewhere that they don't sell them independently though, only as part of a kit. Do you know if that is true or not?

For now, I'm going to start out with the stock Tremec and see how I like it. I'm going to use a short stick, since my transmission is raised. We'll see how that combination works out.
Old 02-26-2013, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbuff View Post
Sieg,

Thanx for the update on the BlackJack as well! I unfortunately read somewhere that they don't sell them independently though, only as part of a kit. Do you know if that is true or not?

For now, I'm going to start out with the stock Tremec and see how I like it. I'm going to use a short stick, since my transmission is raised. We'll see how that combination works out.
Good question!
The original was somewhat of a prototype, I'm guessing they'll take this one to the general market to recoup the investment. I'll inquire.
Old 02-26-2013, 02:30 PM

Scott
Thanks for the thorough explanation. Our original Blackjack was tested and didn't leak but over time as design changed to improve shift feel we started getting feed back of fluid weeping up through the shifter. Our re-engineered design incorporates a seal that will hold up even when power washed from the gear below. Anybody who owns one of the affected shifters can call me to discuss a replacement.
Jim Goodlad

Hurst Driveline Conversions
www.hurst-drivelines.com.
760-859-6635 Tech Department
[email protected]
"Specializing in Tremec TKO & T56 Magnum overdrive conversion kits".
#1 Tremec Elite Distributor!
#1 In Customer Service and Support!

Last edited by GMJim; 02-26-2013 at 02:34 PM.
Old 02-26-2013, 02:36 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sieg
In the rear mounting position neither shifter leak, they just weep a little.
That wasn't my observation. I had to stop by the drug store and buy maxi-pads to keep the car from pouring fluid all over the exhaust with the shifter in the rear position. And that was with a seal on the bottom. (one generation newer than the WL pictures above).

I'm hearing there is a newer/better seal on the way for the White Lightning, which would be their 3rd seal design trying to fix this problem.

II Much Fabrication's Blog New products, Fabrication sequences, etc.
Old 02-26-2013, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by parsonsj View Post
I had to stop by the drug store and buy maxi-pads to keep the car from pouring fluid all over the exhaust with the shifter in the rear position.
Most creative explanation for standing at the checkout line with maxi-pads that I've seen yet.

Last edited by chr2002ca; 02-26-2013 at 03:02 PM.