Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Project Updates
User Name
Password

Old 05-11-2017, 09:18 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Default 1969 Firebird chapter IV

I would like to reintroduce my 1969 Firebird. I posted a series back in 2009 on the last round of updates in the new vehicles section, but let me summarize what has been done and the plans for this new chapter. I have owned the car for 28 years now. Bought it as a nice driver and started to restore it 7 months later. I did a total frame off resto including new outer tubs and quarters and rockers and got it back on the road in mostly stock form back in 1994. yup that took 5 years, I should have seen the writing on the wall at that time.

I upgraded to disk brakes in front (only 11" rotors) posi in the factory 10 bolt, and a fresh 462 mill under the hood backed by a TH400. In 2004 I added fuel injection and drove it that way for a few more years until I smoked the tranny.

This is where 2009 comes in and I pulled it off the frame...again. added my own welded subframe connectors, including crossmembers and driveshaft loops. I installed a T56 I sourced from a 500 mile Viper that was totaled(ouch!) I upgraded to a larger sway bar up front and added Speedtech tubular LCA's to match the uppers and their solid body bushings. I also installed Ridetech's rear 4 link and 18 inch wheels.

After all these improvements, it was way more fun to drive, got 20mpg on the highway, and was starting to perform better.....BUT... 11 inch front rotors with rear drums didn't give much confidence in stopping, and the factory steering leaves you sawing at the wheel (with one finger lol) just going straight down the highway. I also was one of the "lucky ones" to by the spectra efi tank that doesn't allow you to take a 10 mph corner with less than 1/2 tank. I wanted more.

Which brings us to last May when after looking at all the sweet rides on this site I made a call to Ron Sutton. Those of you that have, know this is when it gets seriously out of hand, and we love it!

Here's the new plan.
I bought a used DSE super tank that will allow me to actually turn the car without starving the engine. This will also allow me to remove my return line and regulator which will simplify things nicely.

I purchased a Speedway Engineering Grand National floater and have that mocked up already I also came upon a Schroeder rear sway bar that is going to work great after I attach a mounting tube to the four link cradle and install the tabs on the axle housing. Of course because I went with the 13 inch rotors on the rear, I had to upgrade the fronts too!

The front is going to have 14 inch rotors with 6 piston aero calipers, Ron's fabricated spindles with adjustable steering arms and custom hubs. Gone is the 1 1/8 front sway bar in it's place will be a splined 3 piece bar with diameter TBD.

I went to Ron's workshop last year and it helped me to engineer all the front geometry, but I still wasn't exactly happy with the way things were sitting, i.e. still had a hard time getting enough caster, and then the wheel was too far back in the wheel opening. So the project stalled a bit not wanting to do something I wasn't entirely excited about.

During my "down time" I also acquired a Holley HP computer complete with DIS and a new throttle body to upgrade my commander 950. See, not being in the shop can get expensive, so I need to get back out there.

After this year's workshop at Ridetech, Ron says "come look at this". Oh crap, this is going to cost me. So today I received my Ron Sutton track control arms. these are designed with big time caster while centering the wheel, screw in ball joints, beefy cross shaft with slugs, improved motion ratio and true eye to eye coilover mounts. These are definitely not bolt in, as they come uncoated and no sway bar tabs. the frame also needs to be clearanced and a top shock bracket needs to be mounted on top of the frame but this is exactly what I needed(ok what I wanted).

I am now reinvigorated to do this the right way and invite all to follow along and maybe even help keep me going on it. I do suffer from "life getting in the way of life", so its not going to go really quick, but it's time for forward progress.
Attached Images

Old 07-21-2017, 09:49 AM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Hi Chris,

Any update on the car?