Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Open Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 07-20-2017, 07:00 PM

Default Help needed, what to do to first fire up LS engine.

Good afternoon all, I am at a point in my project to add fluids and fire up. Application is a 2004 GTO LS-1 installed in a 69 Firebird Trans Am convertible clone, motor is factory stock and as built by the factory. ECU reflashed by Speartech, same for original engine harness, reworked by Speartech. All fluids have been drained for a couple years now while I finished the restoration. Please walk me through a detailed process to make this fire up successfull.

Also what kind of fluid to use for my hydraulic clutch.

Thank You very much, pretty excited and do not want to make a preventable mistake.

Tim john---
Old 07-21-2017, 12:12 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim john--- View Post
Good afternoon all, I am at a point in my project to add fluids and fire up. Application is a 2004 GTO LS-1 installed in a 69 Firebird Trans Am convertible clone, motor is factory stock and as built by the factory. ECU reflashed by Speartech, same for original engine harness, reworked by Speartech. All fluids have been drained for a couple years now while I finished the restoration. Please walk me through a detailed process to make this fire up successfull.

Also what kind of fluid to use for my hydraulic clutch.

Thank You very much, pretty excited and do not want to make a preventable mistake.

Tim john---
Tim,

I always use DOT3 in clutch hydraulics.

For start up, ideally you want to prime the engine. There are a bunch of videos on youtube on how to do that. That said, when I did the GTO, I unhooked the coils and took the oil filter off. Cranked the engine until oil started dripping from the oil filter ports. Put everything back together and fired it up...

On my Cougar, I just turned the key...LOL

As they say, YMMV...

Andrew
Old 07-23-2017, 11:02 PM

Not sure if you started the car yet, but if you haven't done this already it's a good idea that before you turn the key to "start" to just turn the key to "on", let the fuel pump prime the system and then look for fuel leaks all around the car. The last thing you want is a fire.

Good luck!
Old 07-24-2017, 05:05 AM

Thank you guy's for the advice so far, have not fired it just yet, adding fluids, double checking everything but soon. My original convertible top switch decided to give up the ghost this weekend while adjusting the windows so now I get to pull the dash to replace that so it looks like the motor will have to wait just a little bit longer. But please do continue to offer advice on firing the motor.

Tim john---
Old 07-24-2017, 08:54 AM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

When I started mine and a friend's (5.3 LM7 junk yard pullouts), I removed the plugs, disconnected the fuel pump/fuel injector harness, and cranked the engine in 10 second intervals. Did that about 4 times and oil pressure came up on the oil pressure gauge. Plugged/installed everything back up and fired up the engine.
Old 07-24-2017, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickpaw View Post
When I started mine and a friend's (5.3 LM7 junk yard pullouts), I removed the plugs, disconnected the fuel pump/fuel injector harness, and cranked the engine in 10 second intervals. Did that about 4 times and oil pressure came up on the oil pressure gauge. Plugged/installed everything back up and fired up the engine.
Good advice here. Pulling the spark plugs helps the engine turn over faster, and will relieve the un-oiled rod bearings from any load. To add to this, fill the oil filter BEFORE you install it.
If you can get to the oil pressure sender behind the intake...you probably cannot...you can put 4 quarts of oil in the engine the usual way, and squeeze the last two quarts of oil with the proper attachment, through the oil pressure sender hole. This method fills MOST of the oil galleries in the block, and the oil pump.
70 velle' on custom chassis w/custom RideTech coilovers, RED sleeved 434” with Mamo 265’s, F-body Magnum, 12 bolt 3:73, wilwood 6/4's, bla, bla, bla...build. thread https://lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=39631
New 434” engine build here https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...ved-block.html

Thanks Dad!!

My Chevelle is old school... It has a belt driven power steering pump.
They're 17's, but I keep em clean!

Last edited by Che70velle; 07-24-2017 at 12:52 PM.
Old 07-24-2017, 04:27 PM

So glad I posted the question, additional great advice.Thank You.

Tim john---