Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > EFI and Forced Induction
User Name
Password

Old 01-07-2016, 06:10 PM

Default FAST XFI Parts questions

DISCLAIMER: I posted this on the other site too so I apologize for the double post to anyone who frequents both but I know a lot guys are only on one or the other

I recently purchased a FAST XFI sportsman TB EFI kit off the used parts section here. Its going on a mild SBC in 1969 camaro. My current set up makes maybe 300hp, if i can get a few hp and a couple mpgs from the EFI thatd be great.

The real reason I bought it is to eventually fully utilize it when I swap to a LS motor at some point in the future. This way my build can be done in stages and Im(hopefully)not buying things twice. I figure I can just buy a aluminum truck engine with no harness/computer put a carb manifold on it and be ready to rock since the fuel system is already done. Plus the LS will still look old school retro which stylistically i like.
Well thats the plan anyway...

Anyway, on to the questions about fuel system.
Return Style or Returnless?
I am leaning towards return style since everyone tells me its easier to tune. FAST actually recommends it even though it can be run either way. Most of the installs i see are return style. Anyone running a FAST returnless and why?

Fuel Pump:
Definitely going intank for the fuel pump. Looked at the aeromotive phantom retrofit, the tanks inc complete with notched corners and the ricks stamped with notched corners.
Leaning towards a new notched corner tank to get some more room for my exhaust. I have a 2.5" and it rattles against my anti rollbar and is generally annoying

The price of the 3 systems isnt as far apart as you'd think. The aeromotive phantom 340 retrofit is $500. The tanks inc is $600 with an aeromotive 400 and the ricks is $825 with an aeromotive 340

Pros and cons:
Ricks pickup system is renowned the world over as hands down the best for EFI conversions. It also comes with a fancy billet hat that looks cool and allows you to run a 2nd pump in the future if need be.
CON:The paint job on the outside isnt great and it is recommended to either respray it or powder coat it. Price is $225 more(the price of an single plane intake mani)

Tanks inc comes powdercoated and has much more generous notched corners then the ricks and since its 1" deeper actually holds more fuel. The price is right.
CON: Possibly not the best pick up and baffles in the world but I havent read any negative comments of fuel cutout like with the aeromotive stealth tank. The place I got the quote from said they havent had any complaintsand they sell a bunch of them.

Anybody out there using either of these 2 fuel tanks with a FAST system?

Other than that Im going to need a bunch of -6 fittings and PTFE line and prbly a 10 micron aeromotive filter to go with my 100 micron. That should square the fuel system away I think unless anyone has any other suggestions. I was thinking of maybe getting a external vent of some kind also

1 more thing..I just watched episode 2 of engine masters on youtube where they tested EFI vs CARB and the dual plane intake messed up the Holley EFI so they swapped it for a single plane. So I'm planning on getting one of those also
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2sQJPZYSoUI

Otherwise the only other thing I can find that screws these installs up is EMI from the distributor or somewhere else sending the ECU "noise" and messing up the calibration. I have a fairly new msd Streetfire with brand new MSD 8.5 wires that I'd rather not replace if i dont have to..
Thoughts on this?

Thanks in advance
Attached Images

Old 01-21-2016, 04:10 PM

My .02 is to run a return style system. Much less pressure fluctuation. I run an XFI 2.0 setup with a tanks inc clipped tank with aeromotive pump...zero issues. I have also used the standard aeromotive stealth tanks multiple times with zero issues. Aeromotive actually uses a tanks inc. tank and they send it in the original tanks inc. box. Cant go wrong either way. But definitely do get the clipped tank, it makes exhaust clearance much better. When it comes to ignition noise, I always run an MSD noise filter and have had zero issues.
Old 02-04-2016, 12:10 AM

Good to hear another positive review for the tanks inc set up
I am still collecting parts and haven't installed anything yet
I ended up going with a clipped tanks inc with a walbro 255. Got a deal on it from Schwartz when had them on sale. Will be run return style.
Also ended up just buying the FAsT ignition box/coil and distributor. Figured it would save me some headaches with noise/ease of install and I would for sure be able control timing when switching between the e85 and 91 maps.
Still need a single plane intake mani to eliminate all possible FAST bugs(besides install error) some -8 ptfe fuel lines and I should be ready to rock

Last edited by Decline; 02-04-2016 at 12:15 AM.
Old 04-28-2016, 07:32 AM

I have a 540 BBC with the FAST 2.0 Sportsman system. I am using a Ricks Stainless tank with the Aeromotive A1000 in a return configuration. No issues with fuel supply in this configuration.