Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Project Updates
User Name
Password

Old 12-01-2015, 11:09 AM

Default 66 Corvette Coupe Resto Mod

Just retired and had always wanted a Corvette C-2 coupe to build. I was successful in finding a 66 coupe (15 miles from my house) that had been out of service since 1982. It was complete except for front bumpers. It was a matching number's 327 CI/300HP/4 Speed car which I really didn't want because my goal was to convert this 49 year car to modern susp/engine/trans/etc (got lot's of grief from the Corvette restorers group on this plan!). Someone had added a 67 Stinger hood to the coupe and aluminum Corvette Valve covers which were the only non-stock items on car. I purchased this car in mid March of this year and after a couple of weeks of cleaning years of dust/rodent nests, etc. I was successful in getting the original engine running . The engine had 90K miles and after driving awhile and checking the compression it needed a rebuild.

Fast forward to today.......I installed a complete "Ridetech" stage one front/rear susp system with coil over shocks, sway bar, Borgeson quick ratio p/s, late model Corvette Z06 brakes, 17" rims, C6 leather sests and various other upgrades. I also installed a 383 storker motor with 400HP/420 lbs torque and just recently added a Tremec TKO 600 5 sp overdrive trans. My plan is to drive it awhile and sort out things and probably have body/work paint next year. I kinda like the great Patina the car currently has but will eventually have the car painted. I've started working on the interior where I added upgrades like 2008 C6 leather seats, modern 3-point seat belts, Ididit tilt, and completely covered interior with Dynomat. It's been a fun ride so far and look forward to putting some miles on this classic Corvette with modern susp/drivetrain/ etc.! Here's a few of the project pictures:
Attached Images

Old 12-02-2015, 06:32 AM

nice toys
Old 12-02-2015, 01:59 PM

Looks like it's a great platform to start with!

And congrats on retirement, enjoy it!
Old 12-02-2015, 03:37 PM

Cool! I like the contrast of the new parts with the patina of the car itself. But the starter and oil filter have got to go! ; )
Old 12-02-2015, 08:13 PM

Default Corvette touring build

Hope you will come out in 2016 to participate in some of the auto cross and speed events with us old Corvette guys
We have a blast in our old C2 & C3's
Scott
Old 12-04-2015, 08:20 AM

Looks great. I also really like the patina of the paint with the new parts. Great color too
Old 12-06-2015, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69LS1SixSpeed View Post
Just retired and had always wanted a Corvette C-2 coupe to build. I was successful in finding a 66 coupe (15 miles from my house) that had been out of service since 1982. It was complete except for front bumpers. It was a matching number's 327 CI/300HP/4 Speed car which I really didn't want because my goal was to convert this 49 year car to modern susp/engine/trans/etc (got lot's of grief from the Corvette restorers group on this plan!). Someone had added a 67 Stinger hood to the coupe and aluminum Corvette Valve covers which were the only non-stock items on car. I purchased this car in mid March of this year and after a couple of weeks of cleaning years of dust/rodent nests, etc. I was successful in getting the original engine running . The engine had 90K miles and after driving awhile and checking the compression it needed a rebuild.

Fast forward to today.......I installed a complete "Ridetech" stage one front/rear susp system with coil over shocks, sway bar, Borgeson quick ratio p/s, late model Corvette Z06 brakes, 17" rims, C6 leather sests and various other upgrades. I also installed a 383 storker motor with 400HP/420 lbs torque and just recently added a Tremec TKO 600 5 sp overdrive trans. My plan is to drive it awhile and sort out things and probably have body/work paint next year. I kinda like the great Patina the car currently has but will eventually have the car painted. I've started working on the interior where I added upgrades like 2008 C6 leather seats, modern 3-point seat belts, Ididit tilt, and completely covered interior with Dynomat. It's been a fun ride so far and look forward to putting some miles on this classic Corvette with modern susp/drivetrain/ etc.! Here's a few of the project pictures:
Nice alloy wheels in the photo shot outside the garage - what make are they and what size tires please ?

Last edited by kiwigt; 12-06-2015 at 04:44 PM.
Old 12-09-2015, 08:53 PM

Default C-2 Rims

The rims are 17"x8" BMW rims off a 2010 5 series that I had kept after adding 19" custom rims to that car. The tires are Continentials 225/50/17" that were BMW factory installed on car when new. I used these rims while setting up all the new suspension by installed hubcentric spacers and they fit perfectly on hubs. I had offset trailing arms which handles the wider 8" rims on rear and I adjusted the front steering stops to eliminate the 8" front rims from hitting frame.

I added the polished 5 spokes rims a couple of months ago as this is my favorite style of rims!

I like the looks of these BMW rims as nobody else was using these "Euro" styled rims on a C-2. FYI....I used BMW rims on my custom 55 Chevy and my 69 Camaro over the years and have always gotten nice complements on the looks.

I would consider selling the BMW rims/tires if interested as I'm running out of storage space

Chuck
Old 01-13-2016, 09:25 AM

Default 66 Vette Restro Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil B View Post
Cool! I like the contrast of the new parts with the patina of the car itself. But the starter and oil filter have got to go! ; )
That picture was of the original 327 CI. here's some updated pictures with the new 383 stroker and Tremec 600 5sp. Also added some daytime running lights as a safety enhancement.
Attached Images

Old 01-13-2016, 12:55 PM

Nice! Can you show a close up of those LED running lights?