Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Project Updates
User Name
Password

Old 10-02-2019, 04:24 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

I’ve read some negative stuff about using the 1 wire method on alternators but don’t have any experience with them...

Jeff-
Old 10-20-2019, 08:49 AM

Update...…. First of all Thanks again to Mark and Gordon for helping me out getting the car shipped back home…..So... PowerMaster shipped a new alternator to Gordon and he and Mark were going to put it on for me..... But after having concerns about the way I had the GM Connect and Cruise Fusepanel wired up I asked them not to install it as I didn't want to take a chance on ruining it if the wiring was a problem...…

So...…. I get the car home and when I tried to install the new alternator I found out they sent the wrong one...…..So.... I went out and bought a "Original" GM internally regulated alternator...…. Getting back to basic's....Got it installed and although it bolted right in I had to get a longer belt as it wasn't the same dimension from the mounting holes to the pulley C/L...……. Then I changed the wiring around to the Correct way of doing it...Took me a while to find the alternator plug in the GM harness as originally I didn't need it so I taped it up and moved it out of the way.....LOL...… Anyhow...… Originally when I would start the car up the Voltmeter would always be right at 15 Volts Never moved..... Humm !!! I didn't like that but I didn't understand why that was..... Now that I have everything wired correctly, when I start the car for the first second or two the Voltmeter is at Battery voltage then the ECM starts talking to the Alternator and it go's to between 13.5 and 14 volts...….. Just like GM designed it...…… So.....In retrospect , the way I had it wired sure didn't help the Powermaster unit...….. After driving the car most of the day yesterday I now have a greater degree of Trust in the car...…..(and I got a Edumacation)….LOL
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kwhizz For This Useful Post:
clill (10-23-2019), NAPA 68 (10-22-2019), waynieZ (10-22-2019)
Old 12-22-2019, 10:11 AM

Update on this old issue from last fall...... After the stock GM alternator install I thought everything was OK....... After driving the car for a while.... I noticed that after starting, the alternator (Hooked up with the stock Connect and Cruise wiring) wouldn't start charging until I stepped on the gas...... ?????..... So, in the mean time I received the correct alternator from PowerMaster........ and since the GM alt wasn't powdercoated black..... It looked sort of out of place...… So I installed the Black Powermaster unit (wired correctly) and it's happy again...….LOL...… For now...Looking good again...…… Just need the weather....

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to kwhizz For This Useful Post:
camcojb (12-22-2019), Sonar Chief (12-22-2019), warhawkchevelle (12-22-2019), waynieZ (01-02-2020)
Old 02-29-2020, 06:16 AM

Bought some new wheels for the Nomad from Billet Specialties...…… Just wanted to change it up a little...….. LOL

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kwhizz For This Useful Post:
clill (02-29-2020), waynieZ (02-29-2020)