Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Off Topic Forums
User Name
Password

Old 12-14-2014, 03:01 PM

Cool

for investing your time into this thread, I have been reading this post for some time now (long time listener, first time caller, LOL), anyway .... I am beginning to understand most of the terminology because of my classes I'm taking for my MBA. I do have some money in a Roth and a 401K, but now I can read INTO the report and determine what is best for me.

I do appreciate the comments from other folks too ... keep beating the dead horse, I'm listening

Michael

Let the house go .... NEVER give up your car!!!!
Old 12-14-2014, 03:54 PM

Any one have any experience with capital one sharebuilder?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1969 mustang fastback - Lots of secret surprises to keep under wraps.

2012 boss 302 - BMR lower control arms, relocation brackets and pan hard bar, cortex racing coilovers, enkei 18x10.5's front and rear with 315/30/18's, offroad x pipe, lethal performance over axel pipes, SLP loudmouths.

"Your boss's exhaust when you floor it sounds like Jesus stepped on a lego in the middle of the night while going to the bathroom!"
Old 12-14-2014, 05:51 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Thanked 1,077 Times in 385 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikLS2 View Post
Greg, did the time frame change? I know the last time I checked it was 31 days to repurchase and be ok, but that was a long time ago.

I originally typed 30+ days -- then decided I'd better double check my facts and found the 60 day info so posted it. I was ALWAYS under the ASSumption it was 31 (30 plus a day).
Old 12-14-2014, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonar Chief View Post
for investing your time into this thread, I have been reading this post for some time now (long time listener, first time caller, LOL), anyway .... I am beginning to understand most of the terminology because of my classes I'm taking for my MBA. I do have some money in a Roth and a 401K, but now I can read INTO the report and determine what is best for me.

I do appreciate the comments from other folks too ... keep beating the dead horse, I'm listening

Michael

Awesome Michael!!!

Been over to Pinkee's and checked out my '40?? Okay.... LOL -- me either.
Old 12-14-2014, 06:37 PM

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregWeld View Post
Awesome Michael!!!

Been over to Pinkee's and checked out my '40?? Okay.... LOL -- me either.

No I haven't been over to Pinkee's .... homework is keeping me pretty busy, I take the day after my assignments due to work on the Camaro and then its back at it.

Michael

Let the house go .... NEVER give up your car!!!!
Old 12-15-2014, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mach1stang View Post
Any one have any experience with capital one sharebuilder?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I've been using them for quite a few years now.

My Toy... is actually a 1973 Camaro LT and a '09 HD Dyna.
Old 12-17-2014, 01:57 PM

Holey Crap... Nice run up today...

I've been busy shipping Christmas packages all week and haven't paid attention, what'd I miss?
Old 12-17-2014, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSLance View Post
Holey Crap... Nice run up today...

I've been busy shipping Christmas packages all week and haven't paid attention, what'd I miss?
FOMC meeting - no rate hike announced

Also, oil prices are actually up today.
Old 12-18-2014, 10:21 AM

I don't even know what to post in this thread as far as NEWBS -- i.e., 102 investing -- which to me - is entirely different than say - what "I" do.

You've all now witnessed the roller coaster ride the market can take you on. This is why I've preached to all --- buy great companies -- that pay dividends -- and then sit back and relax.

This last couple of weeks wiped half a million of gains (paper) from the account that I use here for examples. Did I sell or panic or freak out? NO. Why? Because I've seen it all before. WHAT DID I DO?? I began to look at where the damage was done -- and began to think about what I'd do differently or how I'd REBALANCE going forward should the opportunity present itself.

In other words --- I didn't act --- but I did put on my thinking cap.

There's an old old saying about "BUY THE DIPS -- SELL THE RALLY'S". I warn against this "trader" mentality. You should be thinking longer term - calm - steady - invest when you are ready. Not firing from the hip. If you're a seasoned pro -- then that kind of thinking "can" work. We're not seasoned pro's. We're investors in this thread -- just working our way to retirement - looking for ways to get us there over time.

Now - in full disclosure - I thought about where I'd lighten up and I waited for this mornings rally (I had no idea the market would fall so quickly - nor did I think we'd have a two day rally that snapped a lot of stuff back so quickly!) - and pulled the trigger on some trades. I have really large positions. When you're holding 10 or 20 or 30,000 shares per name -- you can lighten up by 5 or 10,000 shares while still maintaining a healthy investment. It's year end -- I see some losers that could be trimmed if we got a rally where I could hide (cover) those losses with trimming some gainers. That's what I did. I also had some stuff in very small positions that weren't paying much dividend that I looked at and thought --- okay --- going forward is it really worth it to me to have less than a 2% dividend, and in such small amounts (500 or 1000 shares). When I could just take that gain - and reinvest it going forward in something that will pay me north of 5%. I answered that question with the sell button.

Now I have way too much cash -- so I'll discuss with my banker dudes some of their ideas (an email was already sent)... and I'll see what's what going forward.

Now -- I pay attention to this stuff big time! You could say that I make my living paying attention to the market, because I do. I'm already retired -- and the gains and dividends I get from the market are what puts fuel in my race cars. So what "I" do is different than what YOU should be doing if you're a long way from retirement or your money is inside a retirement account. There - you just keep putting money in - come hell or high water - you plug that money in!! The LAST THING you want to do is to quit putting money to work because this week the oil complex tanks... THAT IS HOW NOT TO REACH YOUR GOAL!!
Old 12-18-2014, 12:26 PM

Greg, I have to tell you...during these last two large drops and subsequent rallys the DOW has taken...I've just sat back and watched smiling the whole time. Watching the charts from this different angle that I now see things from has been so much easier to stomach. These quality companies this thread has helped us pick just don't take the violent rides the rest of the market does. They also seem to be the first ones to recover as well.

I briefly thought about dribbling some more in during this last drop, but I was busy MAKING MONEY at the shipping store and by the time I got a break, the dip was over. No biggie, I'll get them next time.

Merry Christmas everyone!!