Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Project Updates
User Name
Password

Old 01-19-2016, 09:40 AM

Default IRONWORKS - 1967 Camaro with LT4, Forgeline's, Wilwood, Lots of new custom parts

Coming SUMMER of 2016

We were asked to build a 1967 Camaro for a very good customer of ours that we purchase a few years ago. He wanted to wait for the LT4 engine and run a T56 transmission. Well they unveiled the new dry sump LT4 at SEMA last year at that point we had the car mini tubbed and had the new Extreme Front suspension clip with Torque arm from Speedtech. The plan was to make the Camaro cool, but no major body mods.

We started with a super nice rust free car I bought off Craigslist to flip. Well I flipped it to the customer 10 minutes after picking it up in Lancaster.

We are so busy here at the shop I sent the car to a great fabricator in Northern California that is doing some Sheetmetal work for us to help us keep up. I'm not sure he wants to be public, but if you have been around long enough you will figure it out. He did the mini tubs and aligned all the sheetmetal along with the front and rear suspension install. This really sped up the process for us so we could stay focused on the work we had in the shop and satisfy and already happy customer.

Just like most projects they are never what they seem. Either way better then first thought or worse. Well this one was a little worse. We decided to do the passenger quarter repair some small sections that had been repairs 20 or 30 years ago. We also mini tubbed the car and performed some tricks to the rear outer wheelhouse to allow us to clear and 335-19 wheel at a descent ride height. I won't bore you with the pages of possible minor fab pics.

When we got the car back it looked like this. It was jacked up on some sweet IROC's.

Last edited by ironworks; 01-19-2016 at 09:43 AM.
Old 01-19-2016, 09:59 AM

So the plan was a simple car.... Right

So
LT4 engine - Dry sump engine
T56 Magnum trans
Big Wilwood brakes SL4's in a custom color
19x11 and 19x12 Forgeline Monoblock wheels
Michelin tires
Fixed back racing seats
Seat sliders that work
Custom front and rear spoiler
Rick's tank that fits into the trunk floor
Speedtech Extreme front subframe
Speedtech rear torque arm
Ron Sutton Secret Sauce Ridetech shocks
Billet gauge cluster
Dakota Digital Gauges - Custom
Vintage air AC
AutoRad core support with intercooler and external cooler
Firewall 3 master cylinder
Electric power steering
Raingear wiper system
LED headlights
And a bunch of other typical stuff

In order to clear the super wide front tires on the 67 Camaro we will have to considerably rework the inner fenders. We are in process of that now.

Then it was decided we would make some seta brackets to mount some off road seat sliders to make the seat adjustable. You pull the pin and slide it forward and repin it where you want.

We used a removeable column adapter I found online that seems to work pretty good. This will make entry and exit from these seats easier.

Old 01-19-2016, 10:19 AM

We had some old Anvil hood vents laying around from my old Camaro years ago and put them on there and liked the hood. So we went with it. We also thought we wanted a little more then the stock hood latch incase it was not going to clear on the coolers we hung on the front of the AutoRad core support.

Then we mocked up some Aero Latches. Warning the carbon ones they sell are just painted plastic to look carbon even though they are 20 bucks more.

Old 01-19-2016, 10:23 AM

After getting the radiator and core support set up we started looking for a place for the stock dry sump tank. This thing is super tall. So it looks like it will have to go right square in the center.

We wanted to build some kind of fuel door that was little different.

Old 01-19-2016, 10:30 AM

Cool Nice work there!

Wow .... that Camaro is a lucky car!!!!

Keep us up to date, following fer sure.

Michael

Let the house go .... NEVER give up your car!!!!
Old 01-19-2016, 10:31 AM

Is that really where you will mount the tank. Not trying to be a smartass but really curious. Very weird, can you run a custom tank or shrink that one?

72 Chevy Nova in pieces trying to rebulid this bucket of bolts (really just a labor of love)

Crew Chief's: Helping pilots get laid since 1947
Old 01-19-2016, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98ssnova View Post
Is that really where you will mount the tank. Not trying to be a smartass but really curious. Very weird, can you run a custom tank or shrink that one?
How come you don't use a question mark when asking a question? Not trying to be a smart ass, But really curious.

Well there are alot of reasons why. As much as I'm sure a dry sump tank is a dry sump tank. The new LT4 tank has alot of stuff in it that was not in the LS7. I also think the guys at GM may have their hands tied on some things but when you look at the tank they use in the new LT4 and you make a few phone calls for an engine that most people have never seen inside at this point. I went with the Engineers at GM that work on the performance ZO6 cars at Bob Bondurant Driving school that have gone through a few engines. If you doing any research on these cars you will find the new bearings are lead free and as soon as they get hot the engine is done unlike the old LS stuff.

If you have a better idea on a place to put something like this I'm all ears. It's 23" tall and has 2 tanks.

And thirdly and most importantly, the Customer likes the OEM vibe of stuff and a dipstick that fits in the tank and works like it should and is pretty user friendly is an aspect he likes. Plus he gets a deal on GM parts and we know without a doubt this set up works.

Last edited by ironworks; 01-19-2016 at 10:59 AM.
Old 01-19-2016, 11:03 AM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Nice work on everything. I will be following this one.
Old 01-19-2016, 11:57 AM

Nice work! That dry sump tank is interesting for sure. Ideally a tall, skinny tank like that is what you want for best function, but fitting it in the available space is a challenge. I wonder if the second tank is a vent can, or if it serves some other purpose.
Old 01-19-2016, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironworks View Post
How come you don't use a question mark when asking a question? Not trying to be a smart ass, But really curious.

Well there are alot of reasons why. As much as I'm sure a dry sump tank is a dry sump tank. The new LT4 tank has alot of stuff in it that was not in the LS7. I also think the guys at GM may have their hands tied on some things but when you look at the tank they use in the new LT4 and you make a few phone calls for an engine that most people have never seen inside at this point. I went with the Engineers at GM that work on the performance ZO6 cars at Bob Bondurant Driving school that have gone through a few engines. If you doing any research on these cars you will find the new bearings are lead free and as soon as they get hot the engine is done unlike the old LS stuff.

If you have a better idea on a place to put something like this I'm all ears. It's 23" tall and has 2 tanks.

And thirdly and most importantly, the Customer likes the OEM vibe of stuff and a dipstick that fits in the tank and works like it should and is pretty user friendly is an aspect he likes. Plus he gets a deal on GM parts and we know without a doubt this set up works.

Fair enough you got me sorry. I will look into your question. And good luck with your build.

72 Chevy Nova in pieces trying to rebulid this bucket of bolts (really just a labor of love)

Crew Chief's: Helping pilots get laid since 1947