Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Help, Feedback and Testing > Vendor/Member Feedback
User Name
Password

Old 04-05-2014, 09:12 PM

Thumbs down Jake Parrot aka Jake's Rod Shop 8 month wait for a spoiler empty promises shoddy work

So I was warned by numerous people on a couple forums not to do business with Jake Parrot. I have been running his rear spoiler on my car, which took 2 months to get and numerous emails. I can understand a 2 month wait for a custom fabricated spoiler and I've been happy with the product.

You can order from the guy, pay the guy, but to actually get the product took 38 emails, 9 of which he told me he was "Sending me tracking info."

So here is the story, its a long one, so I'll try and post emails and dates.

Bottom line is, 8 months later and I'm still trying to get the struts for the spoiler. I remodeled my ENTIRE KITCHEN in 6 months!

Fast forward from 2009 to 2014. I decide to order up a front spoiler for the car. Jake tells me the following:

Quote:
D, good to hear from you.
Yes we make a front spoiler with strut rods
I will see if I can send a pic over
They are 500 as well plus shipping
I can powder coat as well and if you bought one would powder coat for free for you.
Jake
So pricing for the front is the same for the rear, no biggie, I sent payment that day 8/13 expecting a 4 week wait time per his email:

Quote:
Pricing is 499.00 will be ready for shipment in 4 weeks or under, we are finishing them and assembling now.

Jake's Rod Shop
I never heard back after my payment was sent so I reached out 2 months later and am told on 10/9/2013
:
Quote:
Spoiler is all done, waiting on pins for strut bars.
I will send email for update now.
Sorry had been traveling last two weeks I meant to update you.

Jake
I check in with him 10/24

Another excuse about parts "enroute"

Quote:
d, it should ship this coming week, the parts i needed are enroute.
jake

Jake's Rod Shop
Still nothing, I ask for status yet again 11/12/13 and create a post on lat-g asking if anyone can locate Jake Parrot for me regarding my spoiler order, his customers call him. I am told that sadly, he has to be called out to get things done sometimes. (Thank you guys, and he finally ships me the spoiler)

I finally receive the spoiler 4 months later in March 2014 and this is what I receive:

https://plus.google.com/photos/10204...CMqW_ZWEhqmWGQ

I'm blown away by the weld quality, the powdercoat job and at this point am pretty much chock it up to a loss, this up to a lost cause. Luckily the welds were not visible but the powdercoat job is amazingly bad. I will post better pictures tomorrow, even taken with a cell phone you can see the quality.

March 4th 2014 After inspecting the spoiler I notify him that its been 22 emails 3-4 phone calls and that I'm missing the spoiler struts and rear window straps he offered for my trouble as well. I ask him to make this right once and for all.

That same day I am told he'll get it wrapped up.

Quote:
I will get it wrapped up.
That def should not be that sloppy
Let me know how it works and if I can ever do anything for you .
Not sure how many sweat shirts I have left but are you a large as well in a hoodie?

Jakes Rod Shop
March 7th I am told the stuts and window straps are on their way with tracking info.

March 21rst, nothing, I email him again. Same day he says it was shipped Wednesday or tuesday and should be with me midweek.

March 26th, still nothing, I email him the following. I had been polite up until this point:
Quote:
was this sent out? I am sick and tired of riding you like a 10 year old doing his homework. This is insanity Jake. 7 months for a front spoiler and its been like pulling teeth every time I ask for shipping info.

Do us both a favor and send me the parts so we can be done with this.
I get an excuse about weather and winter (despite me ordering this in SUMMER?)

March 31rst, still nothing, he replies:
Quote:
d, you should get email with tracking info, i upgraded it to 3 day shipping so you will get the straps etc quick
jake

Finally I told him that I am sick and tired of the damn thing, the shoddy worksmanship and that if I DO mount it up on my car, I'll be reminded of this stupid 8 month wait. I tell him I am finally sick of it all and posting it on the forums.

I get this
Quote:
D,
I did send your rear window straps and your struts left Motorstate thurs or Friday
I am away now but will screenshot the tracking on the window straps I included your email when I created the label.
While my business doesn't and can't afford to be hurt I hear you.
I understand the issue but I did include the straps and tabs for free which were a few hours of labor which I guess I understand doesn't help with the wait.
Sorry but the stuff is enroute.
I will send email with screen shot now
So 8 months later, and I've got my cracked OEM spoiler on the car still and jakes shoddy spoiler sitting waiting for parts which will never come.

Bottom line is, the guy cannot be held to his words, either by phone or by email. Hes the kind of guy that should be fabricating, not dealing with customers. I have a few friends like this, so I'm willing to give the guy the benefit of the doubt, but I have had enough. Screw the spoiler, I have chocked it up to a total loss of $500 and a lot my time dealing with someone who doesn't give a crap about their business.

I get the following final email:

Quote:
Dane,
I did send your rear window straps and your struts left Motorstate thurs or Friday
I am away now but will screenshot the tracking on the window straps I included your email when I created the label.
While my business doesn't and can't afford to be hurt I hear you.
I understand the issue but I did include the straps and tabs for free which were a few hours of labor which I guess I understand doesn't help with the wait.
Sorry but the stuff is enroute.
I will send email with screen shot now
For 8 months hes been hearing me, being polite, asking for my parts.

Unbelievable.

Do yourself a favor and find someone else for an aluminum spoiler. Avoid Jakes Rod shop like the plague. He may be a nice guy, but cannot be held accountable for anything. I have friends like him that work in Fabrication, but should not deal with sales or business management. I can understand, but this is unreal.

Sadly it takes threads like this to even get the parts.

If the spoiler was up to par quality wise like the rear, I'd give him a chance to redeem himself, send the parts, YET AGAIN, and I'd run it. But it looks like utter crap and reminds me of this whole thing. I don't want it on my car.

Just sharing my 8 Month adventure....

Have a better day than I'm having folks

-d

1961 Lincoln Continental Convertible
1969 Camaro Z-28 Vintage Trans Am Track toy
1970 Austin Mini Yamaha R1 Swap
2014 Cadillac CTS-V Wagon