Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Project Updates
User Name
Password

Old 07-23-2014, 07:29 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Very nice fab work,awesome car
Old 07-24-2014, 11:37 PM

Very cool...I would love to have a Grand National. It sounds like that engine is a beast.
What kind of wheels did you go with?

1989 Camaro RS
Old 07-25-2014, 07:03 PM

Weld Rts in 18x11 and 18x9.5. I have the 15" version on the rear now and I think the lines fit the cars shape very well. They compliment the car and don't stand out too much. I'm not usually a fan of black centers on wheels, but I figured I would try something new. I was thinking about ccw lm5's or Simmons, but I just couldn't justify the extra money.
Old 08-01-2014, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeanMike View Post
Weld Rts in 18x11 and 18x9.5. I have the 15" version on the rear now and I think the lines fit the cars shape very well. They compliment the car and don't stand out too much. I'm not usually a fan of black centers on wheels, but I figured I would try something new. I was thinking about ccw lm5's or Simmons, but I just couldn't justify the extra money.
Sounds good, I can't blame you going for something priced lower than CCWs.

1989 Camaro RS
Old 08-11-2014, 06:17 PM

I do a lot of side work to pay for parts for my car. I've just finished the latest round of parts, so now I can get back to mine. It's a good thing because the pile of parts is starting to cover the car up.

I feel like there should be a picture with a $100 bill across the lip. They look kinda big.

Old 08-11-2014, 06:21 PM

Nice build, I have a friend that is big into GN's still just drag but nice stuff!! I like the wheels they still give it the mean street look!

[SIGPIC]https://neversaynever0304.files.wordpress.com/2014/07/you-didnt-see-anything.gif[/SIGPIC]
Old 08-11-2014, 08:02 PM

Those rims are going to look good on there. Good choice!

Current rides: 2000 BMW 540i/6 and 86 C10.

Former ride: 1979 Trans Am WS6: LT1/T56, Kore 3 C5/6 brakes, BMW 18in rims
Old 08-11-2014, 09:04 PM

those wheels are going to look amazing, love the car

1967 GTO, LS2 T56

WILWOOD FORGELINE RIDETECH
$10k Budget driver/ track car
Old 08-18-2014, 08:06 PM

Finally after months of tearing the car apart, something finally got bolted back on.

The front suspension is back on the car and the garbage man picked up the masive pile of boxes today.
Pretty much a complete Sc&c package. SPC uppers and lowers with tall ball joints, Eibach springs, Hellwig sway bar and I went with viking shocks. A GN power steering box also went back on the car.

On to the rear of the car. I had wilwoods on the rear, but they didn't match the new Baer's up front and honestly I didn't think they were as nice as the Baer's. So, I had to buy Baer SS4 rear brakes. They also gave me a parking brake (that the wilwoods didn't have). Those will be useful down the road when I swap in a 6 speed.

The new brakes required a different brake standoff than what I had. My old axles had 5/8 studs also and were used when I got them, so I bought new ones. "While I'm at it" I went ahead and bought a 35 spline detroit truetrac to replace my spool. Waiting on a new set of ring gear bolts to put it back together. A transbrake and 15lbs. of boost can do neat things to ring gear bolts.

I have a matching hellwig rear sway bar to go on the rearend, but my old drag race anti-roll bar required a lot of bracing under rear end that had to be cut off. (Compare to pic below)

Since I was doing so much rearend work I decided it would be easiest to pull it out. I was also going from trunk mounted fuel cell to a stock fuel tank. The previous owner of the car had put a lot of extra bars under the back of the car to prevent buckling the quarter panels. A common problem on these cars when drag raced. Some of it wasn't as nice as I would have liked and in my opinion most of the bars were doing nothing but adding weight. Rearend is out of the car so "while I'm at it" I might as well ditch all that extra tubing.
Before

After 4 sawzall blades, two 4.5" cut off wheels and 6 24 grit grinding discs. There are still two stubs hanging from the upper control arm crossmember that I cannot get off now. I may hot wrench them off when the interior is out down the road.

Last edited by MeanMike; 08-18-2014 at 08:16 PM.
Old 08-18-2014, 08:20 PM

There was one tube connecting the mess under the car to a couple weird bars in the trunk. I've already got the tools out, so I "might as well".
before.

After two more sawzall blades and I'm guessing another two cut off wheels and three grinding pads. I hope to grind the rest of the tube bits off this week. I still have to patch the old fuel cell and fuel pump holes on the trunk pan. I don't think trunk pans are made yet (or needed for that matter), so I'll be making my own. I'm thinking of adding a nice access panel for the fuel pumps "while I'm at it".