Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Project Updates
User Name
Password

Old 09-24-2014, 01:13 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Looks awesome Eric! How do you like the seats? I see some SLC guys are using Tillet seats. Have you looked into them?

Old 09-24-2014, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in SoCal View Post
Looks awesome Eric! How do you like the seats? I see some SLC guys are using Tillet seats. Have you looked into them?
I have looked into them and even sat in one, they are really really nice, but for the price... yeeeeeeeshhh... My butt will just have to be in the stockers
Old 09-29-2014, 02:46 PM

I've added a couple videos:

Car overview:
http://gearheaddaily.com/gearhead-da...alled-grifter/

Clutch explanation:
http://gearheaddaily.com/rcr-superli...che-transaxle/
Old 09-30-2014, 07:15 AM

I love the SLC! I have often thought of trading out projects for one of these. Thanks for sharing.
Old 10-12-2014, 07:48 PM

More updates can be found on www.gearheaddaily.com too if I don't always post on the build threads. Just throwing it out there

Well folks, fall is officially here in Minnesota and it’s starting to get colder. I hope you enjoyed summer because completely over with. Kaput.

I’ve been working a couple hours per night on the car whenever I get a chance. I’m not that confident with fiberglass so this has been a decent learning experience. Let’s get down to it.

I was able to finish installing the lights and lens cover on the passenger side of the from clam. This is a bit of work to get everything just right. I know it looks a bit chaotic from some of the previous pics, but if you take it slow and take it in small chunks, it makes life a lot easier.

The tail lights provided their own challenge as there isn’t a clear way to attach the lenses (borrowed from a Dodge Dakota, seriously, take a look at one some time!). I took the better part of an afternoon to make sure these fit tight and as close as possible. I will have to back fill them with fiberglass at some point, but that point isn’t now.

Now, as parts get put on the car, so does my list of custom tools. This is the first “fun car” that I have owned that will have AC so I’ve had no need for an AC hose crimper.

I decided that since the name “Stormtrooper” came up a bunch lately, it made sense to add a few black accents to the body. When the doors are closed you won’t be able to see much of the black, but when you open that and the front and rear clam you’ll see the accents to the color. I had some issues with tape sticking to the body after using some “Goof-Off” sticker remover so that’s why I have all the over spray issues. I tried several kinds of tape and had come to the conclusion that there was some residue on the body keeping it from sticking. I tried a couple solvents with no avail. I reinstalled the doors and will attack the overspray soon. I’ve found that brake cleaner eats right through this type of paint! Easy and cheap fix!

I think I may have figured out the engine situation for “Griftrooper”, here’s a small hint…. Giggity.

Old 10-24-2014, 08:27 AM

I've been making some videos that I've uploaded to my channel if people are interested

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCac...uEfISr3ktwQW-A
Old 10-24-2014, 09:19 AM

Erik, for the tape not sticking, it's most likely the release agent for the fiberglass body and the molds. if you go to your local paint supply store they will have an anti-staic cleaner that will remove the mold release agent.

Great progress on the car, it's just sooooo bad azz!!!

[SIGPIC]https://neversaynever0304.files.wordpress.com/2014/07/you-didnt-see-anything.gif[/SIGPIC]
Old 11-18-2014, 01:31 PM

Hey hey say hey sports fans! We’re back with some progress on some of our projects on Grifter.

Pictured above is what the car looks like right at this current moment. I was able to finish the passenger side head lights and light cover. I finished off the masking the body for the black accent pieces. It should look pretty good when I finally get around to taking care of the overspray (don’t ask). Ugh.

I also added a battery box I made with some left over aluminum pieces I had laying around (you can see going here to YouTube!)

The seats needed seat belts so I made sure to get some stout ones and mount them to the frame with grade 8 bolts and 1/4 thick plates holding the belts in place.

The shifter needs a bracket made and installed. It’s ugly, but it works. Shrug.

I had to pull the transmission out to get at some of the points in the chassis to do some minor work. It had to come out regardless to fit the engine so I just went ahead and did it.

I’m no good at wiring but this ISIS system makes this fairly straight forward. Pigtails for the lights already built in and minimal connection points makes this one of the most straight forward systems I’ve used.

Finally, I picked up a STACK 8130-B unit with the GPS Speedo, it’s a bit of a tight fit into the dash, but holy macaroni is it going to be Awwwwesssoomme!

Old 11-18-2014, 06:33 PM

Looks great Eric, can't wait to see this thing done.

Lots of cool lightweight parts.
Old 11-20-2014, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valve Lash View Post
Looks great Eric, can't wait to see this thing done.

Lots of cool lightweight parts.
Super hack to the rescue! LOL