Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Chassis and Suspension
User Name
Password

Old 11-30-2011, 12:52 PM

Default Install Pics

I know I am very late commenting on this,but I'm still looking for suspension ideas.So far I've been contemplating a torque arm setup or 3 link.I just don't think the 3 link is the way to go for me as there are too many variables in setting one up.Seems like you're on to something with the simplicity.Any installed pics yet?
Old 12-02-2011, 11:58 AM

This system would turn your rear axle housing into a huge anti-roll bar placing a LOT of stress on the housing perches & up-down forces on the Johnny Joints which is not the best way to apply load to them, it should be push-pull, but they are probably beefy enough to not bend. Roll-bind would be a big issue with this design. When the car rolls in a turn, one front eye goes up, the other down, trying to twist the axle housing. I really hate to say anything negative about someone's product that they have worked hard to produce. I nearly didn't post this but felt I had to put it out there.
David

Last edited by David Pozzi; 12-02-2011 at 02:25 PM.
Old 12-02-2011, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Pozzi View Post
This system would turn your rear axle housing into a huge anti-roll bar placing a LOT of stress on the housing perches & up-down forces on the Johnny Joints which is not the best way to apply load to them, it should be push-pull, but they are probably beefy enough to not bend. Roll-bind would be a big issue with this design. When the car rolls in a turn, one front eye goes up, the other down, trying to twist the axle housing. I really hate to say anything negative about someone's product that they have worked hard to produce. I nearly didn't post this but felt I had to put it out there.
David
David your totally correct, that is alot of the reason we took it out of my camaro. We knew it would have alot of roll bind and if your going to drive the car hard this is not the way to go. When i built the car I didnt have much money to throw at it and thats why we went with this rather than the four link. We were going to re work the two link to fix the binding issues because it actually worked fairly well until I pushed the car hard enough it unloaded the inside rear tire (wheel hop). But we decided to go with ridetechs 4 link and i have been super happy with how it has worked in my car. For normal street driving the two link works okay but has its limitations and binding issues when driven hard. Scott and i both try to point everyone towards ridetech when asked what rear suspension to use because we have been really happy with their components and they are super nice guys.

thanks,
kevin miller
Old 12-02-2011, 08:41 PM

With a few more parts, a torque arm could be made. When I started autocrossing, I had home made traction bars that were clamped to the mono leaf springs at the forward ends. I had inside wheel lift & it felt nervous on higher speed corners. Eventually the right rear spring pad tore off the housing.

I drove the RideTech 48 Hour Camaro at Del Mar last weekend & I loved it!
David

Last edited by David Pozzi; 12-02-2011 at 08:46 PM.
Old 12-02-2011, 09:48 PM

thats awesome! the 48 hour camaro is a cool car and im sure its a blast to drive. hope to get the chance to meet you and mary at some events next year.

take care,
kevin miller
Old 12-03-2011, 01:33 PM

Kevin, You are doing Awesome and making the right steps with your car.
David
Old 12-03-2011, 02:21 PM

Default Good advice

Thanks for clarifying some of the issues with this type of suspension.I applaud Scott for his fab abilities and his willingness to tell you the truth.I would put you Mr. Pozzi(I have too much respect for you to call you David)this question.Which suspension type would be more fitting for someone on a budget and with a somewhat limited knowledge as far as rear suspension goes, a torque arm or 3 link?
Old 12-03-2011, 03:01 PM

I will not be building this system anymore.While it work's OK for the street,It is not at all what you want for any type of competive driving.I have found for the money,ease of installation,The Ride Tech 4-bar system is the way to go.And if you want to step up,Go W/their rod end upgrade.While alot of folk's will tell you they really want to save money,Deep down inside they really want the best.So Buy Qualtiyfrom the start go W/ Ride Tech or DSE componet's.These two company's are the 2 that alway's show up at every event, so they are alway's around for advise on any ajustment's you might need to make.Brett V.of Ride tech/Kyle & Stacey of DSE are awesome folk's.Easy to talk to and don't mind anserwing any question's.And Their phone's are alway's anserwed when you call their business's.When you send them hard earned money,you will get the best part's they have to offer. Good luck. Scott Mock.
Old 12-05-2011, 07:41 PM

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesinark View Post
Thanks for clarifying some of the issues with this type of suspension.I applaud Scott for his fab abilities and his willingness to tell you the truth.I would put you Mr. Pozzi(I have too much respect for you to call you David)this question.Which suspension type would be more fitting for someone on a budget and with a somewhat limited knowledge as far as rear suspension goes, a torque arm or 3 link?
Thanks for the kind words, believe me, at home I'm no one special. Please call me David. If you want cheap & simple, use leaf springs, they don't ride as well as a link suspension due to higher unsprung weight, but handle well. I like a rubber front eye bushing, poly rear eye bushing & Delrin (Acetal) bushing in the rear frame for best support. At some point you want wider tires & have to go to mini tubs then money spent relocating the leaf springs is best spent on switching to a link suspension. I think the Ride Tech Rear suspension (called Airbar with coil overs) is the easiest to install & it works great. A torque arm like Speed Tech is a bit more to install but not too big a deal. The new Hotchkis 3 link will be the same amount of work to install as the Ride Tech. & has loads of adjustment available. It does require cutting a top link hole in the rear seat area next to the driveshaft tunnel. The DSE Quadralink requires more cutting & welding, but is well proven.
David

Last edited by David Pozzi; 12-06-2011 at 11:28 AM.