Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Project Updates
User Name
Password

Old 10-28-2013, 11:40 AM

Tubbed 69- Your Camaro is unreal. I read through most of your build thread the other night. Amazing and good motivation for a guy like me.

Wanman- 75 ford two wheel drive f350. 1"bore as well.

Dropped off a load of stuff at the coater this am. Front bumper, grille, headlight bezels to get coated dull aluminum and cleared. Also the core support to get sand blasted.

Converter should have shipped from Chris at circle d on Friday.

Still battling a nasty cold so progress is kind of slow.

Sean
Old 10-29-2013, 06:03 AM

Thanks hackster, and aggie91

My 68 Torino
Old 10-30-2013, 09:59 AM

Now after seeing some of the sheetmetal work that is done on these board, my at home hack job doesn't seem very special, but gotta keep the build thread going so bare with me.

Trying to get the front engine bay sheetmetal work done this week while I am waiting for the converter.

There was a good bit of rust below the battery box and that area was not very good looking and flowing with the rest of a pretty good looking inner fender. So I cut it out bent up some sheetmetal and welded it in for a nice straight and flush fender.

Here it is in raw metal, still needed a bit more metal work at this point but I was running out of time.

All bodywork and high build primer done. Still needs a little more attention before paint but its getting close.

The plan for the engine bay is just have mechanical parts in there, very little if any wiring. Going to tuck the headlight, turnsignals under the inner fenders and mount the battery in the rear of the truck. Trying to make it a very clean and pleasing engine bay.

Sean
Old 10-30-2013, 10:14 AM

Nice build! Welcome to the site!
Old 10-30-2013, 11:33 AM

Cool build, like it a lot!!

My 1957 project:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=334552
Old 10-31-2013, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckDriver View Post
Cool build, like it a lot!!
Thanks man, looked at your thread as well, looks like we think a lot alike

Made good progress on the fenders last night, passenger got several hours of body work, priming and sanding and little bit of spot putty. They are far from perfect but pretty sure they will do just fine for inner fenders. Drivers side got the battery box cut out of it and the new flat patch panel put in it's place. Everything is all welded up and ready to start grinding and body work, I hope to be done with body work tonight and shoot these on Saturday.

Got a nice little box in the mail yesterday....

Got this amazing piece from Chris at Circle D. He was amazing to work with and this thing brings the beef. Full billet triple disc 4l80E converter along with an SFI approved flex plate. The plan is to get that bolted up and installed this weekend.

Sean
Old 11-02-2013, 10:36 PM

Well, did not get much done last night other than make a big mess of the garage.

I did get the entire steering column torn down prepped and painted in hopes of getting it installed today.

Today I got some help from a friend, more productive after lunch =) (Thanks for the hand and the company Ole)

Managed to get the column all rebuilt today, new bearings and all new hardware, all brackets were powdercoated gloss black, inside and outside. Stainless hardware installed on this as well as new rubber boot.

Looks like a tiny bit of progress, but it was a suprising amount of work to get it all nice, much better than it came from the factory.

Very happy with how this area has turned out so far, hope I can keep up this theme with the rest of the engine bay.

With the column finally back together and in the rig, I could layout the final steering linkage from the rack to the column. I had picked up all the linkage from a 05 crown vic earlier in the week and cut off the bottom of the steering column so I had lots to work with.

I machined down a little spacer with what I have here to work with to mate the crown vic stub to the 68 steering column. Welded the crown vic stub to the spacer then welded the spacer to the shaft. They were both an interference fit, hammered together and then welded. I know its not flaming river pretty, but it looks pretty descent and did not dig into the wallet, not even a dollar.

Got the 6.0 torn down to just a long block with covers and a pan, cleaned up everything and prepped it for paint. Shot it with several coats of gloss black. Planning on doing the Holley black valve covers with the coil mounts on them directly, should look pretty descent. Happy so far with the little engine clean up.

Another round of blocking and sanding and a couple rounds of real eopxy primer laid down on them, a well as the freshly sandblated nice straight core support.

Not really worth taking pics of but I also got the final upper braces for the frontend painted and installed with the proper spacers under them and measure for the tranny, its gonna be close if it clear the crossmember at the pan or not. Hope to find out tomorrow.

Sean
Old 11-03-2013, 06:26 AM

Dang Sean,

"Well I didn't get much done last night", So the next day you made up for it, lol.

You are moving along! You must have a way to powder coat in your shop?

Joe

My 68 Torino
Old 11-03-2013, 07:37 AM

Very nice! You're gettin' it done pretty quick, when do you want to be driveing it?

My 1957 project:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=334552
Old 11-03-2013, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckDriver View Post
Very nice! You're gettin' it done pretty quick, when do you want to be driveing it?
No real goal for an on the road date other than spring. Would like to take it on the power tour this year, maybe make it to the LS Fest this summer, both are a long ways from home though.

Not the best day of work in the garage for me, but I did manage to get more sanding on the inner fenders, they are at this point done and ready for paint... Tired of taking pictures of them though.

Got the tranny all cleaned up and put a nice dusting of aluminum paint on it to freshen up my freshened up tranny before it went into its new home.

Asher came over and we bolted up my new SFI approved flex plate, filled up the amazing circle d triple full billet converter and stabbed it in the tranny. Holy crap this tranny is a big heavy girl, but up to the task of holding big power for the long haul.

Keep in mind, never even a test fit on the tranny into the hole and over the crossmember....and into the truck we go.

I took lots and lots of measurements and was pretty sure that it was going to be close on the tunnel and at the crossmember.

It fit like a glove, plenty of clearance all around the big girl and the motor sits nice and low in the chassis, looks good in there.

So now my big debate is to go turbo now or finish the build na and go turbo later. Going to take a lot more $$$ and time for the turbo setup but it sure would be nice to do it all now before it goes in for paint.

Sean