Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Safety Equipment
User Name
Password

Old 10-07-2014, 08:23 PM

Default Roof rail help

Has anyone made roof rails? I know they are usually 3/4 high, 1/2 base L shaped .050 aluminum and usually riveted to the roof, but it's more the shaping i'm concerned about. Any tips and tricks? Any other ideas for fastening to the roof so the roof stays waterproof but they are removeable and stay on the car at high speed? Do they tend to distort when shaping to the roof? It's something I may attempt over the winter time.
Thanks for any ideas.
Old 10-08-2014, 11:49 AM

I did a quick search over on one of the landracing sites and didn't see anything specific. Radrides Torino and Barracuda are good examples of roof rails done well. I'd imagine at the speeds you'll be seeing, Velcro or double back tape isn't going to cut it! Love the camaro, I'll keep looking.
Attached Images

Old 10-09-2014, 01:03 PM

For shaping, I'd use strecher to strech the top long edge. I'd use thread-riveds with gaskets. You need to drill holes for them but before installing the rivets, use a pressing tool both sices w/center bolt to make a little recess so that rivets bolt would be flush with the roof surface. Then make the same recess to same place to rails so they will fit perfect.

We made one off those to one track race car way back ago and they came wicked and nice. I think I dont have any pictures left from that. They went with my last computer crash. Now have everything at harddrive.

Last edited by SuperB70; 10-09-2014 at 01:07 PM.
Old 10-10-2014, 07:32 AM

Thanks guys. Both posts were very helpfull. When I first heard about this metal stretcher I was picturing something expensive in a machine shop, but I looked it up and it looks like I may be purchasing one over winter and I'll have to start practicing.
Old 10-26-2014, 09:28 AM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Thanked 1,076 Times in 384 Posts

Do you want to attach these and then just be able to remove them without leaving any trace?? That's going to be tough... and have them stay on at speed.

Are they just for looks or do you think you really need them to achieve the speed goal? I would think if it's for "aero" that smoothing the underbelly of the car would be more beneficial and you could build panels to do that that are removable and not mangle the looks of the car or the "paint". Properly placed tabs and or threaded nut-serts or Dzus fasteners and that sort of thing.
Old 10-26-2014, 09:30 AM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Thanked 1,076 Times in 384 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedjohnston View Post
Thanks guys. Both posts were very helpfull. When I first heard about this metal stretcher I was picturing something expensive in a machine shop, but I looked it up and it looks like I may be purchasing one over winter and I'll have to start practicing.

Many times you can buy these as a set -- a shrinker / stretcher combo. If you can afford it - buy the foot operated version (frees up your hands) and is mounted on a pedestal.
Old 10-26-2014, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregWeld View Post
Do you want to attach these and then just be able to remove them without leaving any trace?? That's going to be tough... and have them stay on at speed.

Are they just for looks or do you think you really need them to achieve the speed goal? I would think if it's for "aero" that smoothing the underbelly of the car would be more beneficial and you could build panels to do that that are removable and not mangle the looks of the car or the "paint". Properly placed tabs and or threaded nut-serts or Dzus fasteners and that sort of thing.
They disrupt the air if you slide sideways so your car doesn't act like a giant wing and are required in LSR if you want to go over the 200 mark. I have no interest in having them on my car except that they are required for me to run where I want to run. They do not aid in increasing speed in any way. Strictly a safety device.
Old 10-26-2014, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregWeld View Post
Many times you can buy these as a set -- a shrinker / stretcher combo. If you can afford it - buy the foot operated version (frees up your hands) and is mounted on a pedestal.
I have seen the foot operated ones and I agree. A little extra expense would be well worth it.