Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Transmission and Rear End
User Name
Password

Old 06-28-2010, 08:23 AM

Default T56 Chevelle Setup

I'm going with a 2008 L92 and a T56 from a GTO going into a 70 Chevelle.

1) Does anyone have any experience with a CenterForce flywheel and Dual Friction cluth for this setup? The car will be around 550 HP.

2) What other parts will I need for the conversion with the hydraulic setup and where would you recommend getting the parts from?

3) What shifter do you recommend?

4) Has anyone ran a T56 in a 70 Chevelle and will this setup work with a factory console?

Thanks so much!
Old 07-06-2010, 09:16 PM

From what I have read and heard I believe it will take alittle tunnel work to fit in place. Not sure how much work. I have been going between a T56 and TKO600 in my 70 Chevelle to put behind a BBC. I will like to hear if anyone has more info also.

YouTube & Chevelle pics - Instagram @nick.v70 & @ChevelleFactory
Old 07-06-2010, 09:21 PM

here is a link

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/conver...2-gm-body.html
Old 07-09-2010, 04:21 PM

I've got a T56 behind a First Gen 383- it's all LT1-based stuff. It's real similar, but not identical. If you've got questions I could help ya with, I will.

I had to cut the tunnel from the firewall to past the end of the trans output shaft.

My 383 made 545 hp- I use a CF flywheelf and DF clutch. It's been awesome.

I use the ATS plate adapter to connect the factory hyd clutch cylinder/reservoir to the factory '67 clutch pedal. Easy.

The trans crossmember is a custom ATS-built piece. It was to be a prototype, but I don't know if it's available now that ATS has been sold.

I have a Hurst shifter and love it. Many are available, but I've always liked Hurst products.

I've seen others adapt factory consoles to work just fine. I have a bench seat and didn't want a console, so I can't speak from experience on that. A simple boot works for me.
Old 07-11-2010, 08:20 AM

I would recommend the tick adjustable mc
and the mount kit you can buy for the firewall
since you already have the trans
you just need a 2001 camaro tick adjustable mc I think it comes with the line as well
Old 07-24-2010, 05:36 AM

[QUOTE=Scotch;295329]I've got a T56 behind a First Gen 383- it's all LT1-based stuff. It's real similar, but not identical. If you've got questions I could help ya with, I will.

I had to cut the tunnel from the firewall to past the end of the trans output shaft.

My 383 made 545 hp- I use a CF flywheelf and DF clutch. It's been awesome.

Scotch,
Could you elaborate more on the flywheel and clutch you used? I am trying to learn how I need to handle a T56 swap into my 70 chevelle. I already have the engine built and a T400 installed, but want to go to a stick.

I have been told a LT1 T56 will bolt right up. However, after some research, I'm finding other info. I would think if the bell housing bolts up, then I could just get a clutch and PP for a normal setup. None of the pull type stuff.

Thanks in advance,
HEEP
Old 07-26-2010, 07:18 PM

Sorry, you need to run the pull clutch if you run the LT1 trans. Input shaft length pretty much stipulates it and the width of the bell too. The pull clutch works great anyway. Just need a flywheel for the adaption, or run a spacer on the slave cylinder. I've done both types, and LT1 is easiest in my opinion. I shy away from the DF clutches though, as they can't handle the abuse. But I abused it hard. Just realize one side is only stock friction material, so it won't handle as much as another type.
1995 Camaro Z28, 440ci SB2.2, T56, 9", PB 9.70 @ 142mph - 2011 Hot Rod Drag Week 2nd place BB/NA
2009 TBSS 2WD 3SS, cam, exhaust, 450rwhp DD.
Old 07-31-2010, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEEP View Post

Scotch,
Could you elaborate more on the flywheel and clutch you used? I am trying to learn how I need to handle a T56 swap into my 70 chevelle. I already have the engine built and a T400 installed, but want to go to a stick.

I have been told a LT1 T56 will bolt right up. However, after some research, I'm finding other info. I would think if the bell housing bolts up, then I could just get a clutch and PP for a normal setup. None of the pull type stuff.

Thanks in advance,
HEEP
Honestly, I called Centerforce and told them what I was doing. They sent me parts, I bolted them in, and everything works. I relied on them to send me what I needed, and they did.

I use the stock LT1 clutch goodies, and they work just fine. I see no reason to re-invent the wheel here. The factory stuff fits, works, and is readily available. Why mess with it?

I'd recommend you speak to Wil Baty. He's the coolest and will make sure you get exactly what you need. Great guy.