Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Project Updates
User Name
Password

Old 02-08-2016, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hackster View Post
Spent the weekend doing chores around the house, organizing some stuff and recycling a ton of stuff. Even did a couple of house projects....I know what???

In cleaning up I decided I finally needed to get rid of this stuff and build the seat I have wanted since we pulled the seat from the truck, it is in immaculate condition.

Here is the Grille Narrowed up 8" to match the width of the bench.

Got the frame all built for the seat and getting the fit better on the height of the seat as a sofa and the fronted fit up where it needs to go.

Here is the somewhat finished product. I need to make a top cap for the frontend, I dont like how unfinished it is and I still need to find a couple of bezels for it. Anyone have a couple they want to get rid of, white and beat up is totally cool with me.

I raised the grille up off the floor a fair bit. Bench might be a little bit tall for some but its about perfect for me.

Armrests turned out cool for just some flat stock welded up and capped the 1" square tube.

If I had more room I would just keep it in the shop. Its going to our new office we are moving into at the end of next month.

I am going to clear the entire thing and see how many bad looks I get at the shop =)
Looks good...needs cup holders!
Old 02-10-2016, 11:18 AM

Default Seat/couch looks cool

Armrests from an old van might just do the trick!
Old 02-12-2016, 11:45 PM

It was not the clutch...

But I will at least update my thread so it doesnt just die like most other build threads.

Boxes of goodies showed up

This stuff is beefy and really nice quality.

Lightened steel flywheel and all ARP Fasteners.... Looks sexy. Again more cool **** on the truck that you will never, ever see.

First pass at some non tacky underdash lighting. I also have a soft start, delay and soft shut off for the lighting, its pretty cool in my opinion.

They will not be this bright, this is on 18 volts..

Picked this stuff up from the upholster yesterday. Not exactly what I had in mind but it will work. The color is a little more purple in person but it looks pretty cool Carpet is totally the wrong color. Interior looks very european, exactly what I was shooting for.

Started it up tonight, same noise. It almost sounds a little quieter but that could just be that there is an interior and a console in there. Its still there.

I believe at this point for me, I am done with the truck in its current state. I do not feel like pulling the motor and purchasing a new crate engine for the truck and investing another $7,000 in a truck that I already went over budget already, and that still does not guarantee that it is not something in the transmission.

Signing off for a while....Thanks all for following along.

Sean
Old 02-13-2016, 09:18 AM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Subscribing, even though I don't like Fords

I've been there, chasing a tick that just doesn't sound right. At this point, why not pull in a pro? Someone to physically be there and do that? BTDT sort of people know statistics on sounds like that.

If it's the low end, so be it, either tear into it or run it until it blows.

68 GMC C1500
Haulin more than the mail

73 Camaro
Better grow a mullet

70 K5 - 4wd turned 2wd
Project might as well...

Known as John or "JJ"
Old 02-13-2016, 09:38 AM

Wait, what? What Grendel said above...drive the sucker. If she blows, she blows, you won't even hear the ticking noise at ThunderHill, with you helmet on. I can't imagine that those engines are big bucks anyway. Yards are probably full of them, and can be had for very little, I'm guessing. You've come too far to let this stop you from making the trip. It's probably one of those infamous Ford timing chain noises. Those engines have a lot of chain in them. RUN IT!!! This build is killer!!!!
70 velle' on custom chassis w/custom RideTech coilovers, RED sleeved 434” with Mamo 265’s, F-body Magnum, 12 bolt 3:73, wilwood 6/4's, bla, bla, bla...build. thread https://lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=39631
New 434” engine build here https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...ved-block.html

Thanks Dad!!

My Chevelle is old school... It has a belt driven power steering pump.
They're 17's, but I keep em clean!
Old 02-13-2016, 12:15 PM

I agree...run it til it blows...or doesn't.

The 8.1 lt in my 2002 truck has made all sorts of noises from deep inside ever since it was new. All of the GM haters told me it'll never last, the cold start knock would give it an early death.

I've run it short on oil many many times, ran the dog snot out of it and abused it pulling loads way over capacity...and it still runs like a top...220,000 miles later.

Barney's crate engine had some pretty significant valve train noise ever since new as well. Probably the stamped steel rockers...never stopped me from running it like crazy as well.

Don't give up now!!!!
Old 02-13-2016, 12:34 PM

Should have started the motor while the tranny was out then you know it's not the problem

Under construction-British Green 68 Camaro-
Old 02-13-2016, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritishGreen68 View Post
Should have started the motor while the tranny was out then you know it's not the problem
Starter mounts to the bellhousing, no way to start it without the transmission on the engine unfortunately.
Old 02-14-2016, 01:03 AM

Sorry for the brief reply earlier fellas.....was on the dyno.

I appreciate the kind words and words of encouragement. Just really frustrated.

Took it over to a friends shop today and rolled it on the dyno...not for HP just to listen to it with a load on it and get a fresh set of eyes on it. We could not hear **** on the dyno, its really loud with the truck, the rollers, the fans and stuff so we just took it out and drove around. We figured that its a pretty loud version of the tick I hear at idle.

So we got it up on the rack and ran it. Its coming from something in the motor from what we can tell, the noise is the loudest at the side of the block. Took the opportunity to shoot a couple pics of the underside for the potential parts buyers =)

Its not loud enough to sound like its coming apart and they both said they would just run it. Put some thicker fluid in it and run it.

So I came home, picked up some 5w50 which is what they run in the track pack cars.

Drained the oil when I got home and got a little bit of a suprise.....a whole bunch of metal

It is not a ton of metal, but its metal, and its in the oil, there are some flakes in there that are bigger than just the glitter in the oil.

I wanted an answer, guess I got it.
Old 02-14-2016, 01:44 PM

Can you post up a couple different pictures of this metal that you speak of?
The thing only has 20k miles on it, right?
70 velle' on custom chassis w/custom RideTech coilovers, RED sleeved 434” with Mamo 265’s, F-body Magnum, 12 bolt 3:73, wilwood 6/4's, bla, bla, bla...build. thread https://lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=39631
New 434” engine build here https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...ved-block.html

Thanks Dad!!

My Chevelle is old school... It has a belt driven power steering pump.
They're 17's, but I keep em clean!