Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Paint and Body
User Name
Password

Old 12-05-2011, 02:46 AM

Default How to polish machined raw aluminum?

So I've sanded w/ 200, 400, 600, 800, 1000 and 1500 grit paper then polished with white stick and cordless drill/cotton wheel. Not getting scratches completely out nor the luster I'm looking for. Any helpful hints out there? Maybe something w/more speed then cordless drill? What are the best color compound sticks to use? Do I need to go even further w/finer grit sandpaper? What do they use to accomplish this on the billet wheels after machining?
Thanks
Old 12-05-2011, 07:00 AM

What exactly are you working on? The first thing I noticed you are doing wrong is you used paper below 400 grit. Aluminum is soft and doesn't need anything softer than that. Are you wet sanding or dry sanding? If your dry sanding, then stop doing that and start wet sanding it. Also, your not going to be able achieve a good shine with just a drill. You need a dedicated buffer or converted bench grinder using Tripoli compound and a spiral buffing wheel. I would start back over and wet sand it with 400 till I saw nothing but the 400 grit scratches and then work my way up to either 800 or 1000. You could actually stop around 600 if you have a good buffing machine. The Tripoli compound will remove a lot of scratches. You can follow that up, for color, with some white rouge and a soft buffing wheel or Mother's Billet polish
Old 12-05-2011, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by makoshark View Post
What exactly are you working on? The first thing I noticed you are doing wrong is you used paper below 400 grit. Aluminum is soft and doesn't need anything softer than that. Are you wet sanding or dry sanding? If your dry sanding, then stop doing that and start wet sanding it. Also, your not going to be able achieve a good shine with just a drill. You need a dedicated buffer or converted bench grinder using Tripoli compound and a spiral buffing wheel. I would start back over and wet sand it with 400 till I saw nothing but the 400 grit scratches and then work my way up to either 800 or 1000. You could actually stop around 600 if you have a good buffing machine. The Tripoli compound will remove a lot of scratches. You can follow that up, for color, with some white rouge and a soft buffing wheel or Mother's Billet polish
There are a lot of home recipes for different rouges, but what Mako said will work fine. Especially the part about not using courser than 400 Grit and get a higher Speed/Hp buffer.

68 Chevy Pickup Project
Build Thread: https://lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=7505

THANKS TO: A&M Machine and Fabrication, CCTek (http://www.candctek.com), Hermance Design(www.hermancedesign.com), Paradise Road Rod & Custom, Harry Opfer Welding, Wegner Automotive Research, Clayton Machine Works
Old 12-05-2011, 09:08 AM
Supporting Member

I don't use anything finer past 320 or 400 grit or wetsand. Brown tripoly and a powerful enough buffer. You will not get high luster from a drill,you need something much higher RPM's,stiffer wheel and right tripoly stick.Here are some pics of polish work I did on my daily driver couple years ago

Elite Custom Body

1998 Supra APU 6spd
2007 TBSS
1998 GS400TT widebody
1969 Firebird
1979 Firebird LS3,DSE,Baer
1938 Dodge LC pickup
Old 12-05-2011, 01:15 PM

Thanks guys, I have been wet sanding up to 1500 removing all heavier scratches w/tripoli. From what I'm reading, I need to invest in a true high speed buffer. Thanks again, I was starting to get a little frustrated w/lack of mirror shine.
Old 12-05-2011, 03:04 PM
Supporting Member

Lenie, if you're trying to do this by hand tools, look into Adam's Polish. I've seen very impressive results,but it just takes forever. Spend couple of bucks on a good freestanding buffer,pads and some sticks and you'll be in business.

Elite Custom Body

1998 Supra APU 6spd
2007 TBSS
1998 GS400TT widebody
1969 Firebird
1979 Firebird LS3,DSE,Baer
1938 Dodge LC pickup