Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Project Updates
User Name
Password

Old 06-14-2012, 12:45 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Vendor

Hey guys, thanks for all of the positive feedback! Pictures don't even begin to cover the amount of time I've spend working on this thing. At first I think at least half of my time was spent just looking at things and trying to figure out how to approach each different area of the car. I was really cautious (at least I thought I was) about trying to get things to fit, without any real knowledge of how to accomplish what I wanted. They guys at the shop, have been incredibly helpful taking the time to show me techniques, but just like anything else, you generally aren't good at something the first time you try it. Dealing with that bent up quarter doesn't bother me in the least. The fenders and doors really tested my patience though. I had to completely remake those at least once, and have made so many cuts to remove high and low spots that it felt like a never ending process. That for me has been the hard part. Now that it is starting to resemble something I felt more comfortable sharing with everyone.

Since I'm going to start working on the quarters soon I figure that I need to be thinking about packaging the rear suspension. Tom, I know I talked with you about running an '04 Cobra IRS. I kicked that idea around for a few months, but I don't like the really wide track width associated with it. The rear wheels would have almost zero back space, and that would mean I would need the fronts to match. Not really sure I want to do that.

I've been looking at Mike Maier's setup and it really isn't bad for the price. right now, I think that might be what I'm leaning towards. It also looks cool, and I want this car to have an equal emphasis on looking cool and going fast.

DSE will be shipping their Mustang stuff within next month or so, and I would also love to have some of their parts on this car. Their suspension also allows you to put a Coyote motor in the engine bay. They even offer an option for LS engine mounts. I don't have a Coyote motor right now, but I do have an LS2 I've also collected a TR6060 that is practically brand new, and still have my old T56 which needs to be rebuilt. Hopefully some combination of those parts will work.

This evening there are a few more comments I'd like to get back to, and a few more pictures to post up!

Matt
Old 06-14-2012, 12:57 PM

Im not fond of the "Ford Racing" script but love the concept. Would like it even better if it were blue instead of red though.

Its not a Vega!!!!

Total Cost Involved - Total Control Products - Gateway Performance - Fatman - MaverickMan Carbon
Old 06-14-2012, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironworks View Post

It's more important to care about the results then to actually have skill. You can learn skill, talent only speeds up the process. If you don't like it cut it off and off and do it again.
Well said - - That has kind of been my motto on most of my projects. I really think that if you know what it is supposed to turn out like, you can get there. That's why I love seeing the work that the pro (the truly professional) shops do. It helps me and others to strive for that next level. It will take me much longer to get there (and likely will never be as good as the best, but better than some).

Great project - I love these little Mustangs. Keep up the good work!
'67 Chevy II -
https://lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=46846

I have about 3 lifetimes worth of projects planned out in my head!
Old 06-14-2012, 06:24 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Looks good, Matt. I think it's great you're jumping right in on this build. Best of luck to you.

Current rides: 2000 BMW 540i/6 and 86 C10.

Former ride: 1979 Trans Am WS6: LT1/T56, Kore 3 C5/6 brakes, BMW 18in rims
Old 06-14-2012, 10:25 PM

Very cool ideas, nice to see someone else build an early mustang. The LS motor idea is not bad, a lot of guys were putting the LS in fox bodies and were really fast.

Maybe with the hood stripe put the motor size or something like that.

Mike
Old 06-15-2012, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67zo6Camaro View Post
Wow, Im floored! and so impressed. Im smiling from ear to ear and very proud that you took this project on. As your skills increase you will find that pride beaming to the surface no matter what someone says.

All great artist and/or fabricators have to start some place. You definately seam like you have the passion for the automotive industry wheather it's in the building or the designing phase.

As for the Ford.... I will always have a love for these cars. My first muscle car was a 68 Mustang. And as of Late, I always have my eye on an early Fastback as you have. My thought has been to splice the car down the middle and add about 4".

Anyway, I will be looking forward to your updates on this one. Man I wish we lived closer Matt, because I would be by there often to offer my help.

I definitely need to drop by your shop sometime and see what you've got going on in there. I'm sure I can find something to learn about. Maybe steal a couple of Ron's secret ideas too.

Have you seen the Ring Brother Producer Mustang? They widened that car about four inches total by adding 2" per side to the doors, fenders... everything. You can't even really tell anything was done in pictures.

Matt
Old 06-15-2012, 12:50 AM

Aside from sheetmetal, I bought my first parts for this project last weekend. I happened to be in just the right place at the right time got a pair of Ford GT seats. I've always thought these were the coolest looking vaguely retro sport seats. I looked into finding a pair for my Camaro, but at the time there weren't any for sale and list price from the Ford dealership was something absurd. I remember thinking each seat cost twice as much as my first car, so figure 7-8k a seat That's why they didn't end up in my Camaro.

Somehow I got these for $1400 for the pair. They are fancy and made of carbon fiber. Hopefully they add a little bit of lightness to made up for the filler, and wimpy Ford motor I hope to put in.

Matt
Old 06-15-2012, 02:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt.A View Post
Aside from sheetmetal, I bought my first parts for this project last weekend. I happened to be in just the right place at the right time got a pair of Ford GT seats. I've always thought these were the coolest looking vaguely retro sport seats. I looked into finding a pair for my Camaro, but at the time there weren't any for sale and list price from the Ford dealership was something absurd. I remember thinking each seat cost twice as much as my first car, so figure 7-8k a seat That's why they didn't end up in my Camaro.

Somehow I STOLE these for $1400 for the pair. They are fancy and made of carbon fiber. Hopefully they add a little bit of lightness to made up for the filler, and wimpy Ford motor I hope to put in.

Matt
fixed you @#!?& lucky guy. nice score. 8 lbs each?

Dealer for
ACCUAIR rideheight control systems
ENTROPY RADIATORS XXX radiators for your pro-touring vehicle
FORGELINE MOTORSPORTS Highline custom 3 piece wheels
WEGNER AUTOMOTIVE Custom engines and LSX drive systems
SPEEDTECH PERFORMANCE Bay Area stocking dealer

NEVER FORGET -11
Old 06-15-2012, 02:26 AM

God I always have wanted a pair of those GT seats. Never thought they'd go for less than several thousand. Awesome score you dirty dog! Gonna really class up that secretary's car.
2004 NASA AIX Mustang LS2 #14
1964 Lincoln Continental
2014 4 tap Keezer
Old 06-15-2012, 07:25 AM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Those seats rock! They will look fantastic in the mustang.

Current rides: 2000 BMW 540i/6 and 86 C10.

Former ride: 1979 Trans Am WS6: LT1/T56, Kore 3 C5/6 brakes, BMW 18in rims