Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Project Updates
User Name
Password

Old 02-04-2013, 11:16 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

A years not too bad I waited four to get mine back form sheet metal work. I hope it goes smooth!

Old 06-17-2014, 03:00 PM

Been a while since the last update, so here goes:

1. got the engine & trans in, headers installed and the front coils adjusted to bring the oil pan off the ground.
2. during the install, had some issues with the mounts and the engine dented the firewall trying to get it all installed.
3. got the front steering components installed and torqued, and the wheels / tires reinstalled so it could roll.
4. sent the car to my painter and had him rework the firewall and paint it, as well as the dash & rear speaker deck area
5. while in there, he saw that the motor mounts were way worse than I thought. He had to cut them apart, flip them around, and generally rework them to get it all level and installed correctly. By doing so, he was able to raise the engine and trans a little giving better ground clearance. This also centered the trans in the tunnel like it should have been (was off-center before).
6. the hard brakelines along the frame have been installed

The car is now back in my possession, and will be getting the Vintage Air A/C system and the wiring harness installed. I will also be ordering the driveshaft, and once that is in, the car will go to the exhaust shop to get the Borla stainless steel exhaust system welded & installed. After that, more wiring, fuel system and dash.
Old 05-21-2015, 10:36 AM

After a LONG delay, Project Sabre is finally moving again. We had to take the car back from the last shop as they let it sit for many months and didn't do the work they said they would. I now have a good shop working on it, and they have been able to accomplish a lot in the last week. We did find that the last couple shops that had the car messed up quite a few things along the way, with incorrect bolts being installed in the suspension, parts installed in the wrong spots / backwards, and the rear axle adapter mounts weren't done properly or safely. As such, the rear axle is coming back out and we're having it all fixed the right way.

In addition to fixing the suspension installation and the rear axle mounts, they are wiring the car, installed the steering column and wheel, finished up the pedal install, hydroboost and brake installation / lines, making a driveshaft, getting the engine ready, installing the a/c system, dash, gauges, etc. The first focus is fixing what's wrong, then working mostly on the drivetrain and suspension issues, then tackling everything else.

I'm just glad to see progress, which is LONG overdue! Here are updated pictures:

Old 05-21-2015, 08:18 PM

I had wondered what happened to this build. Glad to see it's getting worked on properly again. Who's doing the work now?

Current rides: 2000 BMW 540i/6 and 86 C10.

Former ride: 1979 Trans Am WS6: LT1/T56, Kore 3 C5/6 brakes, BMW 18in rims
Old 05-22-2015, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSSix View Post
I had wondered what happened to this build. Glad to see it's getting worked on properly again. Who's doing the work now?
I'll post that info after the work is completed
Old 05-22-2015, 09:35 PM

Hurry up then! Hope it works out for you and does get completed sooner than later. I'm sure you're ready to drive it again.

Current rides: 2000 BMW 540i/6 and 86 C10.

Former ride: 1979 Trans Am WS6: LT1/T56, Kore 3 C5/6 brakes, BMW 18in rims
Old 06-15-2015, 09:26 AM

Minor update, but an update none the less. The shop got all the brake calipers and rotors install, all bearings packed, all Ridetech suspension pieces installed correctly. The window fuzzies have been installed, as well as the door latch hardware including the new handles, handle gaskets and door lock gaskets. The doors close like a new car and sound great when hitting the striker. The tinted glass has been ordered, but a week into the 'processing time' we found that the rear window was backordered. They should have that shipping in about 10 days time, so we should have glass installed within the next 2 or so weeks. The master has been installed and the hydroboost installation is done (they still have to finish up the brakelines, but the hardest part of that system is done). Getting much much closer, and very pleased with the work being done and the communication. Here are pics from this weekend:

Old 06-24-2015, 12:03 PM

Default Dig it

The color combo with the wheels is right on!
Old 07-01-2015, 04:23 PM

Love the cutlass! My father was a diehard cutlass guy. After he passed away at the age of 51 I was left with quite a few cutlass projects to sort out I finally weened myself into keeping just two.

This one was his pride and joy and of course it's staying with me and staying in the family

I won't be able to do a custom car out of that one but the other 71 cutlass s may be turned into a pro touring car.

Anyways loving the build keep up the good work!

Ryan
Old 07-02-2015, 03:52 PM

69 H/O...way cool.