Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Project Updates
User Name
Password

Old 05-21-2015, 10:16 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Thanked 1,542 Times in 850 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidBoren View Post
You regret not buying a G8? Don't worry, there's still time. They aren't extinct just yet.
It kinda is for me. I have a daughter that will be driving in a year and the next car is for her. Plus I seriously have to save a some money for College.

Projects - Syborg TT 4.3l v6 Mini-Truck, 2nd Chance Camaro & SLP575 Bumble Bee - 4Sale
Old 05-21-2015, 11:12 PM

Between the 2 badass Camaros you have - you shouldn't regret anything.

Stepping up from a 98 Grand Prix GTP to the G8 was a big leap for me.

Stepping up from the G8 to the SS Sedan was just the next progression.

I really disliked the early 5th Camaros - but with the steering wheel improvements - the 1LE handling package - then the Z28 - I respect them.

If I didn't have the Corvette - I'm pretty sure I'd be in an 1LE right now.

As far as the G8 - love the exterior and the performance - but I thought the interior was lacking. It has a good sized color LED screen - but its a worthless radio. My 2008 did not have bluetooth - and the overall interior design was by Holden by reminiscent of the crap Pontiac interiors they produced in the early to mid 2000's.

The SS - has a much better interior - it has all the bells and whistles - but I think the exterior is bland and looks like a damn Malibu.

With the few changes that I have made - I am liking it a lot better.
Old 05-22-2015, 12:13 PM

The G8 is the generic CTS-V. Has a lot of potential, but it will never be a Cadillac, so the interior is what it is. Still a good car, though.

I, personally, like the SS. The fact that you have to look twice to realize it's not a Malibu is the best part... Because by the time they look twice, all they see is the taillights.
Old 06-29-2015, 04:10 PM

It has been a long while - I ran the Power Tour a few weeks back and had a good time - I saw a lot of friends and family. I went on the first 4 stops then headed home.

First big update - is that my new house/shop is almost ready to get moved in - I move in 3 weeks - so everything is a mess around here - boxes and stuff everywhere. Then the move - and setting up my new shop. After the move is done - I'll finally get the Corvette back in my own garage - its been in storage for the last 6 months - it'll be nice to have it at home. After I get the shop setup - I plan on installing the blower.

I have a few things I need to do when I'm in there - replacing the leaking from timing cover gasket, and the gasket behind the crank pulley, install my new ARP crank pulley bolt - and pin that setup - then add boost.

I was up at my father in laws shop where the Vette is being stored - and I had some time during Fathers Day to sneak away and get some mods installed - a few years back I had installed an aftermarket leather shifter and ebrake handle - but never upgrade the shift boots. I got the shift boots from the same company that made the knobs - the ebrake boot was a bolt in, I had to take apart the shifter boot and adhere the new one to the stock plastic ring - overall it only took a couple hours and everything went in relatively smoothly.

While doing some research on the CNC l92 heads that I have - I found out that the valve springs on those heads are the truck valve springs - and not the LS3 springs. The max lift on this springs is not high enough for my LS9 cam - so I decided to go aftermarket and upgrade my springs to the Comp Cams 918's. I got a 10% off coupon on the Power Tour - and used that by ordering form the trailer - they came in a week after I got home.

Also - after seeing a few 15 SS sedans on the Power Tour - and seeing a FB post about a Brembo rear disk swap - I started doing research. The 2015+ come with 4 piston rear Brembos - the G8 and 14 SS have a crappy single piston rear caliper and the rotors they used are super cheap and are already rusting. Since I have a set of 2009-2014 CTSV2 - front 6 piston caliper Brembos sitting in moving boxes - I figured I would get the rears. The CTS, Camaro, SS all use the same rear brake pads and pin kit - the calipers are for the most part the same as well. So using a set of 2015 Chevy SS rear rotors - CTSV calipers - I'll have a full Brembo set on my car.

Some may ask why not stick with the Chevy stuff - well the SS just says Brembo on it - no Chevy badges or anything - and then there is the price.

I got BRAND NEW both passenger and drivers side rear CTS-V calipers for $240 shipped from Amazon - the 2015 Chevy SS rear Brembo is $360 a piece!

So - I will soon have V brakes all the way around - also Hawk HPS pads, and Goodridge SS brake lines:

With the pending move / new shop build - look for these to get installed in at least another month!
Old 10-09-2015, 10:38 AM

Wow - my last update was 4 months ago...

A lot has happened since then.

First - I moved into our new house/shop. We closed on 7/28 - and I spent a solid month painting, installing lighting, and getting my air compressor setup.

If you want to see my house and shop build - check here: http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=276996

Second - I have been waiting to work on any car projects until I get my lift setup - I got it all measured up and finally got my anchors today. I plan on getting that setup this weekend.

Third - The first project I plan on starting will be the CTS-V front and rear brake swap on the SS. I had the Front 6 piston brembos on my G8 - now that swap involved drilling out the iron spindles to make the brake to caliper bolts fit. I had been waiting to do this on the SS because I didn't want to do any big projects until I got the lift setup. Well I just found out the SS has the bigger holes in the aluminum spindles already - so its just a bolt on, ugh if I had only known! So I masked up the fronts and will paint them this weekend:

Brakes by 3M:

Fourth - I have been tracking these on ebay for 4+ months and finally bought one:

This is an LSA blower from a ZL1 / CTS-V. I got this lower blower half for a really good price. These blowers have coupling go bad inside the blower. GM doesn't want to spend the time to tear into them and replace a $40 part. Replace the OEM coupling with a CNC Delrin one - and boom you got a blower at a really good price.

Now this is going to be a long term project of collecting parts - as I still have a warranty on the SS for a few more years. I still need to get the intercooler/top lid - the pulleys and fuel rails and rest of the parts for this to be a complete bolt on.

Plus I need to get the E-Force installed on the Vette first!
Old 10-09-2015, 11:25 AM

Nice find on that blower!! Heading over to Garage Journal now to check out your other build lol!!!
Old 10-13-2015, 01:40 PM

Thanks Joe!

So I got the fronts painted up - and have started on the rears. I will start those tonight.

Once I finish my MaxJax lift install - I will get started on this brake project.

I got 99% of the way finished with my lift install - but cant finish it because I ran out of epoxy for the anchors - I was on my second to last anchor when I used up the last of it. So I ordered some from a place in NY - and hopefully they get here soon.

Now for teh pics:

Old 10-14-2015, 01:57 PM

I got the 15 SS rear rotors painted up - now its time to flip the bleeder screws and the brake fluid passage tubes around on my rear V calipers - will ride on the back side of the rotors - vs on the CTS-V they ran on the front side of them - this will keep the smaller brake piston on the bottom.

My epoxy for that last anchor will be here tomorrow so I should be able to finish the anchor install tomorrow night - and be able to lift one of the cars up by the weekend!

Old 10-14-2015, 08:26 PM

I got the rears fixed up tonight - and everything together for the swap - now I'm just waiting to finish up the lift install!

Old 10-16-2015, 07:48 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Thanked 1,542 Times in 850 Posts

Love the update on the car but the new house and garage are awesome

Projects - Syborg TT 4.3l v6 Mini-Truck, 2nd Chance Camaro & SLP575 Bumble Bee - 4Sale