Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Shop & Equipment
User Name
Password

Old 04-30-2015, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Build-It-Break-it View Post
Silly question but have you tried another gauge? Could the gauge be reading wrong? They go bad all the time.
Yes ... I installed a new gauge, still reads 35psi ... I did the ol test the air pressure by pointing the air at your face and ... yep 35psi. lol

Let the house go .... NEVER give up your car!!!!
Old 05-09-2015, 08:58 AM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Thanked 1,077 Times in 385 Posts

...... and..... ever figure this out??? I think we're all stumped.
Old 05-09-2015, 04:02 PM

Thumbs down Need a Non-Op compressor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregWeld View Post
...... and..... ever figure this out??? I think we're all stumped.
Greg ... never figured this out! I have it on CL for sale as NON-OP, I ordered a Quincy 5hp 60gal to replace this oil less compressor, if it doesn't sell I'll plumb it for extra volume!

Old 05-09-2015, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonar Chief View Post
Greg ... never figured this out! I have it on CL for sale as NON-OP, I ordered a Quincy 5hp 60gal to replace this oil less compressor, if it doesn't sell I'll plumb it for extra volume!
The only other thing that comes to mind is maybe the cylinder bores are out of round. Didn't realize it was oil less. They are not known for longevity.

Don
Old 05-09-2015, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonar Chief View Post
Do not plumb your existing unit into your new one. The 5hp unit you have coming will be severely overworked, as it is not designed to pressurize more tank volume than what it has under it. I tried this. I was warned to not do it, as it would overwork my compressor, and sure enough, my 5 horse compressor is just about done, after working so much harder for a couple years now. Yes I have more air volume, but I have a compressor that runs twice as much as it used to, also.

If the compressor doesn't sell, give it away. Just don't tie it into another one, unless the motor and compressor unit on it is very overrated.
Personally, I have firearms. Lots of firearms, and ammo. I would use your non working unit as a target. That would be a fun day.
70 velle' on custom chassis w/custom RideTech coilovers, RED sleeved 434” with Mamo 265’s, F-body Magnum, 12 bolt 3:73, wilwood 6/4's, bla, bla, bla...build. thread https://lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=39631
New 434” engine build here https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...ved-block.html

Thanks Dad!!

My Chevelle is old school... It has a belt driven power steering pump.
They're 17's, but I keep em clean!
Old 05-09-2015, 10:47 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Che70velle View Post
Do not plumb your existing unit into your new one. The 5hp unit you have coming will be severely overworked, as it is not designed to pressurize more tank volume than what it has under it. I tried this. I was warned to not do it, as it would overwork my compressor, and sure enough, my 5 horse compressor is just about done, after working so much harder for a couple years now. Yes I have more air volume, but I have a compressor that runs twice as much as it used to, also.

If the compressor doesn't sell, give it away. Just don't tie it into another one, unless the motor and compressor unit on it is very overrated.
Personally, I have firearms. Lots of firearms, and ammo. I would use your non working unit as a target. That would be a fun day.
That's good to know! I have an offer on it already, so I'll just let it go!

Thanks,

Michael

Old 05-11-2015, 09:31 AM

Compressors are like understanding "Cams".....

Compressors do two things -- make pressure -- produce volume. The storage is just a buffer area.

The KEY to compressors is having one that will make enough Cubic Feet per Minute at the pressure you need to run the chosen tool.

Regardless of the storage size -- if the tool is using more CFM than the compressor can produce... the tool will strip the air from the buffer and the compressor will run non-stop trying to keep up.

They types of tools, and work, we do - pretty much means you need a compressor that will produce 90 PSI at about 17 CFM....
Old 05-11-2015, 11:33 AM

Cool

Quote:
Compressors are like understanding "Cams".....

Compressors do two things -- make pressure -- produce volume. The storage is just a buffer area.

The KEY to compressors is having one that will make enough Cubic Feet per Minute at the pressure you need to run the chosen tool.

Regardless of the storage size -- if the tool is using more CFM than the compressor can produce... the tool will strip the air from the buffer and the compressor will run non-stop trying to keep up.

They types of tools, and work, we do - pretty much means you need a compressor that will produce 90 PSI at about 17 CFM....

Thanks Greg ... the new compressor comes in about 15.2 cfm, I thought about the next size up but wholy cow the price went up considerably. I'll make due w this one!!!

Should be here next week, which is also the last week of school for this session ... then it's MY TIME w the Camaro!

Michael

Old 05-11-2015, 12:20 PM

yeah -- 15+ CFM should be able to do some work without it just running and wearing itself out. Regardless of what you bought -- it's going to be way better than than so called "oilless" versions -- which are useless except to fill bicycle tires.
Old 05-11-2015, 06:47 PM

Cool

Quote:
yeah -- 15+ CFM should be able to do some work without it just running and wearing itself out. Regardless of what you bought -- it's going to be way better than than so called "oilless" versions -- which are useless except to fill bicycle tires.
Ain't that the truth .... I inherited it after my brother passed, so the price was right! Didn't have any experience w the oil less pumps then ..... lessons learned, moving on!

Michael