Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > EFI and Forced Induction
User Name
Password

Old 05-20-2015, 12:00 PM

Default Need fuel tank and pump for Atomic EFI

I just purchase a base MSD Atomic EFI kit, no fuel pump or filters. I am in need of a new tank anyways in my 68 Camaro, so I assume I will order a Tanks Inc. tank. I just a few questions.

My motor is around 600HP big block 496. Is there a specific in tank pump that handles certain hp ratings or are they all the same and the regulator controls the amount of fuel PSI based on the HP you have and the PSI needed?

I know if you use the supplied pulse width modutaling fuel pump you have to use flex line, but if I convert to an intank pump, can I use the stock hardlines?
I will Tanks Inc as well but I know a few guys are running these here so I thought I would ask.

Thanks, Erik
Old 05-26-2015, 12:23 AM

Erik,
I was sure someone had responded to this already. Apparently not.

Yes. There are different pumps for different power requirements. The standard Tanks Inc pump isn't going to cut it. You're going to want the GTA4. It's equivalent to a 255 lph (like a Walbro).

But yes, you're going to have to use a fuel pressure regulator of some sort, because generally speaking, fuel injectors are designed to work on a set fuel pressure. I generally set them to 58 psi, but your Atomic EFI might be different. I am not experienced with those, as I primarily do LS stuff. The TBI stuff usually takes around 10-13 psi.

I have seen lots of people use the stock hardlines. But I recommend using new ones at the very least. (As a matter of fact, I always make new hardlines on every EFI conversion I do.) The truth is, the factory hardlines were designed to work with a carburetor. Old rusty will NOT do. The new fuel injectors have very small orifices, and are clogged/damaged easily. Moreoever, they just don't plug in like they were meant to. Which 1) looks bad and 2) usually calls for some poorly made connector line to fill the bridge between where it wanted to end and where it needs to end. Fuel line is so darn cheap, and there's so many versions of connectors to use at either end, I don't see the point in keeping a hard line unless it's brand new. Lastly, the hardlines don't have provisions for fuel pressure regulators or fuel filters. One more for replacing it with a line you make or have made.
Old 06-19-2015, 05:20 PM

I just ran across this thread and since I recently installed the Atomic EFI I thought I would share how I ran the fuel system.

I used the stock tank but installed a custom RobbMc fuel sender:
http://www.robbmcperformance.com/pro...78_gmsend.html

This is the fuel regulator I used:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/aei-13109

I used this fuel pump it's about 1/2 the price of the MSD pump:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/atx-e8248

I used the Aeroquip AQP fuel line:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/aer-fcn0620

I ran the AQP line for the supply and ran the return through the original hard line. And finally, you will need two filters NAPA #'s 3270 before the pump and 3482 after the pump.
Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you!
"Jeremy Clarkson"
Old 06-19-2015, 06:00 PM

There's a GPA-6 pump from tanks inc that is a Walbro that does 400 lph, I went w/ that and it's only $50 more so cheap insurance to not starve your motor.