Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Chassis and Suspension
User Name
Password

Old 03-23-2017, 09:56 PM

Default 69 Camaro Turning Radius

I have a 69 Camaro that I installed Global West upper and lower A-Arms about 10 years ago. My question is it seems my turning radius is pretty wide, any advice on how to make it tighter? The car is lowered about 2-3 inches
Old 03-24-2017, 10:32 AM

Aside from steering stops and or tire width causing rubbing, what else is there? A new steering box? What touches first going lock to lock? Can you clearance anything to allow more travel?
Old 03-24-2017, 06:30 PM

My experience comes from a 1972 Nova, so might not be directly applicable however our subframes are very similar. I can only get about 25* of steering angle measured at the spindle with my 12.7:1 (2.5 turns lock-to-lock) steering box and factory quick-ratio short steering arms and long pitman and idler arms. This steering angle is with the steering stops removed from my Speedtech arms, so is the mechanical range of the steering box. This leads to a lot of 3-pt turns for sure. Long story short.. I've never been aware of these 1st gen subframe factory suspension/steering design being very good at steering angle and thus turning radius.

Old 03-29-2017, 11:29 PM

The steering system is capable of 28 to 30 degrees which is about as good as any car of the day. Most 12.7 to 1 boxes have internal stops that limit turn angle to suit the cars they were used on.
If you have the short outer steering arms and/or the long pitman arm, then you usually can get full turn angle. Global West lower A arms have adjustable turn stops: a bolt screwed into a boss welded to the A arm.
Old 04-07-2017, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Pozzi View Post
The steering system is capable of 28 to 30 degrees which is about as good as any car of the day. Most 12.7 to 1 boxes have internal stops that limit turn angle to suit the cars they were used on.
If you have the short outer steering arms and/or the long pitman arm, then you usually can get full turn angle. Global West lower A arms have adjustable turn stops: a bolt screwed into a boss welded to the A arm.
I'll have to check that, thanks guys for the information