Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Open Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 03-07-2017, 04:21 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Default Paint & Body Shop Recommendations

I am getting close enough on my build where I think I need to start narrowing down which body shop I want to use for my car. With wait times and the potential for logistics I would like to get something nailed down in the short term.

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find much in the Baton Rouge area. I am willing to transport the car but would love to keep it close enough for me to check in on from time to time during the process.

Does anyone have recommendations for the South Louisiana, SE Texas, etc area? Looking for first hand experience if at all possible. This car will be driven, so I am not looking to win a riddler award but I do want quaility work and something to be proud of.

Thanks guys!
Old 03-07-2017, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsuguy View Post
I am getting close enough on my build where I think I need to start narrowing down which body shop I want to use for my car. With wait times and the potential for logistics I would like to get something nailed down in the short term.

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find much in the Baton Rouge area. I am willing to transport the car but would love to keep it close enough for me to check in on from time to time during the process.

Does anyone have recommendations for the South Louisiana, SE Texas, etc area? Looking for first hand experience if at all possible. This car will be driven, so I am not looking to win a riddler award but I do want quaility work and something to be proud of.

Thanks guys!
The highlighted section of your comment to me was one of the most important things I read. Not all the time, but all too often it seems that when the owner drops a car off at a shop, gets photo updates and bills, things go wrong. Just the other day on FB a guy posted where he had his 57 Chevy at a shop in Mass, he lives near Detroit. Two years and $30k later and the car is a train wreck. Needs to be totally stripped down and started all over.

I'm no where near you, but I do have some connections through work in Texas. I would be happy to get some feelers for you. One shop down there I know about is Hill's Hot Rods. I have seen their work and can say first hand it was spectacular. Was on the cover of Street Rodder last year. Check them out. If you need more info let me know.

Best of luck.

1955 Chevy BelAir
1951 Chevy 3100
1987 Chevy R10

Glenn
Old 03-07-2017, 07:16 PM

Thanks Glenn. I may take you up on that offer. Being able to check in on the progress is very important to me which is why I would love to keep in in Louisiana if possible. Unfortunately I'm just not having much luck finding a shop thus far.

There is one shop in Lafayette that I may reach out to as well but I have never seen their work in person.
Old 03-10-2017, 02:38 PM

Dutchboys Hotrods! They are a bit further than what you are asking for but the distance will be worth it. Painted my 67 Camaro and they now have my 67 Chevelle. Good Luck with your search!
Old 03-13-2017, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Air-bender View Post
Dutchboys Hotrods! They are a bit further than what you are asking for but the distance will be worth it. Painted my 67 Camaro and they now have my 67 Chevelle. Good Luck with your search!
Old 03-13-2017, 06:52 PM

B'ham isn't too far from you in the grand scheme of things. We've got Goolsby Customs and Vini's Hot Rods. Both beyond capable of putting out fantastic work.

If you can swing the travel you can't go wrong with Dutchboys as has been stated.

John
Old 03-14-2017, 09:46 PM

Has anyone had any painting done by Charlie Hutton? I understand he has a shop in Idaho.
Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you!
"Jeremy Clarkson"

Last edited by TheJDMan; 03-14-2017 at 10:00 PM.
Old 03-24-2017, 10:29 PM

I'd highly recommend you visit with Kyle at Laid Back Recreations looking acted east of Oklahoma City. He's had numerous examples featured on magazine covers and recently completed a pickup for a guy in Louisiana.

He doesn't camp on projects, knows Camaro's inside out, and is an ASE mechanic as well.

405-788-7709. About a year wait as of now. Tell him Steve sent you
Old 03-29-2017, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBC71Nova View Post
B'ham isn't too far from you in the grand scheme of things. We've got Goolsby Customs and Vini's Hot Rods. Both beyond capable of putting out fantastic work.

If you can swing the travel you can't go wrong with Dutchboys as has been stated.

John
I second this motion, specifically Goolsby Customs. Not a terrible drive from Baton Rouge to Birmingham occasionally to check on the car. Jonathan Goolsby lays down an incredible paint job (he does most/all of the actual painting himself) and has the awards to back it up. SEMA BASF Glaurit Best Paint, Mother's Shine Aware, etc.