Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Chassis and Suspension
User Name
Password

Old 03-07-2017, 04:11 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Default upgrade power steering pump or steering?

My factory LT1 Type II power steering pump is leaking a little. I figured I would change it out when I do the engine swap with an OEM replacement unit. This got me thinking about upgrading it though. Should I make any changes to the system? Is there anything to be gained?

Keep in mind I'm a street car more than anything else. I'm still using the factory 1979 WS6 steering box, too, which is different than a non-WS6 box. Admittedly, the steering is a little light, but I figured that's just the old style steering compared to a modern car. I'm running 8inch wide tires on the front now. I do have 9.5 inch wide rims that will find their way onto the car eventually. I doubt I will ever go wider or with very sticky tires. All components are in good working order except the slightly leaky pump so this will be all about potential upgrades. If there's anything to be gained by making a changes from what is on the car now that is.

Thank you

Current rides: 2000 BMW 540i/6 and 86 C10.

Former ride: 1979 Trans Am WS6: LT1/T56, Kore 3 C5/6 brakes, BMW 18in rims
Old 03-19-2017, 08:38 PM

4th-gens are steering rack, not box, right? I wonder if the 4th-gen pump is valved right for the box.

I'm using an 85 IROC box which was a huge upgrade over stock Camaro - much more feel. I'm not sure where WS6 is on that scale. I also used an IROC valve in the stock style pump, never tried it with stock valving.

I have a TypeII pump as part of this round of upgrades, but I got it from a 2000 S10 (steering box) application. That's the best valving match available I could find.

Last edited by woody80z28; 03-19-2017 at 08:46 PM.