Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Chassis and Suspension
User Name
Password

Old 01-23-2017, 09:22 PM

Default Which rear suspension setup did you go with and why?

Picked up a '69 Camaro back in October. It's a mild Pro Touring build, basically what I like to call a great starting point for where I want to end up with the car. Wanted something I could drive and modify at the same time. One thing the car didn't have that I wish it did was a coilover setup in the rear and mini tubs for a wider rear tire. The car is currently setup on Caltracks, air shocks, a monoleaf leaf spring, bolt in subframe connectors and 10 bolt rear end (that will have to go). It rides alright, kinda spongey though. Also with the front setup I have the rear setup gives the car an old school raked look and that's not my style. I also have a 2014 Viper TA and what I've always wanted or said to want would be a '69 Camaro that can handle similarly to my Viper. Yes I realize that we're talking about a 48 year old car that was never meant to do so, but I believe enough of these great aftermarket companies are making high quality parts that should allow me to get closer to my goal. So my question is: which rear suspension setup did you go with and why? I've listed 6 options I've looked at so far and if there's any other suggestions I should consider, feel free to post them.

-Ridetech seems to have what looks like a great product, bolts in for the most part and it's fairly affordable. Starts at $1950 with RQ Series Coilovers

-TCI has a good looking 4-Link setup and from some of the pictures on their site, would allow me to achieve the look I'm after. Comes with sub-frame connectors. Mostly bolt in components. Also fairly affordable until you start adding upgrades then the price goes up. Starts at $2011 with Ridetech single adjustable coilovers

-TCI torque arm suspension seems like an improvement over the 4-link. Starts around $2392 with Ridetech single adjustable coilovers.

-Speedtech's rear torque arm suspension has been recommended to me by another '69 Camaro owner and also looks like a nice setup and utilizes a torque arm with double adjustable shocks and coils and is reasonably priced. Starts at $2299 with Viking double adjustable shocks and coil springs.

-DSE Quadralink has also been suggested by a friend and I've seen nothing be good things said about all things from them. Their base kit does have a higher starting point than the others and goes up quickly if you want adjustable shocks. Starts around $2550 with their base shock setup $3000 for their single adjustable setup.

-Roadster Shop now their new Spec Series really has me thinking. Yes it's quite the investment and ultimately the best option as it's a full chassis, but it's still $10k and I'm not rich. I could probably make a little back selling off parts that come off the car, but doubt it'd offset the price of the chassis that much. Comes with both front and rear suspension and Wilwood spindles. Also includes a Ford 9" with 31 spline axles and a different rear end is something I'll end up having to buy anyway. With mini tubs it'll take up to a 345 which I would imagine any of the setups would do with the right axle sizes and mini tubs. Obviously this is the best route, but also pretty pricey.
Old 01-23-2017, 09:30 PM

Here's my starting point and a pic next to the Viper

Attached Images

Old 01-24-2017, 12:19 AM

Check out the Art Morrison Multilink IRS. We have it on two of our cars.

After doing larger tires and suspension to the rear, you will find the front needs lots of upgrading too. A first gen is limited on front tire width due to the wide frame rails. An aftermarket front subframe should be added to your list which will gain you 2.5" per side. The stock front sub can go to a 275 x 18 with some careful wheel spacing and inner fender hammering (depending on ride height) so you shouldn't go larger in the rear than a 315 x 18 or you'll have understeer problems. Look for a balanced wheel, tire, & suspension package and try to get all your suspension from one manufacturer so it all works together.
Old 01-24-2017, 10:08 AM

Thanked 1,474 Times in 1,106 Posts

Based on what you are cross-shopping, please consider our Torque Arm Kit. We incorporate a Watts-Link vs a Panhard Rod.

This is in my '73

Old 01-24-2017, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMR Sales View Post
Based on what you are cross-shopping, please consider our Torque Arm Kit. We incorporate a Watts-Link vs a Panhard Rod.

This is in my '73
Didn't know y'all did 1st gen components. Kelly Aiken is a friend of mine. I'll make sure to check them out.
Old 01-24-2017, 11:42 PM

Default Chris Alston Glink

I have been thinking about getting the G-link set-up.

https://www.cachassisworks.com/p-129...uspension.aspx
Old 01-25-2017, 09:15 AM

any of the above
1950 international l110
1993 mustang gt
Old 01-25-2017, 12:27 PM

I like what comes on the Corvette, C4 or later . . . It fits in just about anything.
Old 02-04-2017, 12:05 AM

I'm running a DSE subframe and Chasisworks G-Link canted 4link rear with custom AFCO coilovers at all four corners. 18x10 275 front and 18x12 335 rear with Corvette C6 Z06 brakes and Moser 9" floater rear end. Motivation comes from a 383 SBC and T56 Magnum. I think my 68 would come much closer than you might think to your viper in terms of handling.

Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you!
"Jeremy Clarkson"
Old 02-09-2017, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJDMan View Post
I'm running a DSE subframe and Chasisworks G-Link canted 4link rear with custom AFCO coilovers at all four corners. 18x10 275 front and 18x12 335 rear with Corvette C6 Z06 brakes and Moser 9" floater rear end. Motivation comes from a 383 SBC and T56 Magnum. I think my 68 would come much closer than you might think to your viper in terms of handling.
Sounds like a killer setup. How much work did it take to get the T56 Magnum to fit up?