Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Open Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 03-27-2017, 09:32 AM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Default Piston oil squirters

So this LS3 I'm wanting to put together with an LSA supercharger I want to put in piston oil squarters. I took the block to a machine shop and they told me they didn't have the right tooling to machine the pads for them and gave me the number of another shop that builds race LS engines. So I called the other shop and he basically tried to make me feel dumb for wanting to put them in with a forged piston and said they don't fit a stroker engine anyways so they block them off. He had no idea Katech made piston squarters for a stoker engine, so who's the dumb one?

So with that said, anyone have an opinion on them? 700hp on a road track can make some heat and piston squarters do help keep temps down.
Old 03-27-2017, 11:20 AM

Kinda wonder the same thing but for a mild ls7 build
Old 03-29-2017, 11:10 PM

Don't need the squirters with forged pistons. My LSA is built on an LS3 block, forged LSA crank, Carillos and Wiseco 10 over forged and coated pistons. I'm running all ARP main rod and crank main caps. I had the heads port matched to my supercharger, snout ported and matched, LS9 cam, LS7 TB, 20% underdrive pulley, upgraded brick and cooling port. Should make 700 easily with the right time.
Old 03-30-2017, 06:16 AM

Is this a dry sump engine? You'll need to upgrade the oil pump if you go to oilers. The LS9 pump has a 25% larger pressure stage because of the piston oilers. I wouldn't even attempt this with a wet sump.
Old 03-30-2017, 08:09 AM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ummgawa View Post
Don't need the squirters with forged pistons. My LSA is built on an LS3 block, forged LSA crank, Carillos and Wiseco 10 over forged and coated pistons. I'm running all ARP main rod and crank main caps. I had the heads port matched to my supercharger, snout ported and matched, LS9 cam, LS7 TB, 20% underdrive pulley, upgraded brick and cooling port. Should make 700 easily with the right time.
I'm working on porting the supercharger now and I have a LS7 throttle body. I haven'd decided on a rotating assembly as of yet. This is also being built on an LS3 block.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71RS/SS396 View Post
Is this a dry sump engine? You'll need to upgrade the oil pump if you go to oilers. The LS9 pump has a 25% larger pressure stage because of the piston oilers. I wouldn't even attempt this with a wet sump.
The LSA in the CTS-V and Camaro ZL1 is wet sump and has a larger oil pump to cover the extra oil needed.
Old 03-31-2017, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ummgawa View Post
Forged pistons is not protection against extended elevated temperatures. They can still undergo a phase transformation and go soft - loosing ring land dimensional stability. This is reason LSA, LS9 and all new LT engines have oil squirters.

Without oil squirters, only means of heat transfer is through ring back to cylinder wall then to cooling system. Oil squirters allow an additional means to remove heat from piston crown. Can see considerable reduction in crown temps, protecting the pistons as well as reducing chamber temps (reducing tendency towards detonation).

Dave
Old 03-31-2017, 09:43 PM

If you want to try a couple of other shops...

Texas-Speed is located north of Austin in Georgetown now. You could contact them.

Also, H-Squared Racing Engines in Houston is doing work for me. Could contact them also.

There are multiple other LS shops in Dallas and Houston that might be close enough for more consultation.
Old 04-01-2017, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroAJ View Post
The LSA in the CTS-V and Camaro ZL1 is wet sump and has a larger oil pump to cover the extra oil needed.
GM also didn't design either one of those cars for sustained high rpm track use. There's a reason why they went to a dry sump for the Z06, ZR-1, and Z/28.

The piston oilers are definitely not a bad thing to do, I just wouldn't do it with a wet sump for track use. If you're adamant about using a wet sump, I would increase the pan capacity, use a good trap door baffling system in the pan, and an accusump...it might live then. I would probably use a crank scraper too.
Old 04-01-2017, 11:25 AM

Think we might be putting too much on this "track" use thing ....how many cars for how many yrs have lived with wet sump on a track , yes a scraper,windage tray ,larger pan etc will help but, it's not like this engine will cavitate from SOME track use . Not to mention even still the first few yrs of the ls7's love to grenade themselves do to the oiling system design .
Old 04-01-2017, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raustinss View Post
Think we might be putting too much on this "track" use thing ....how many cars for how many yrs have lived with wet sump on a track , yes a scraper,windage tray ,larger pan etc will help but, it's not like this engine will cavitate from SOME track use . Not to mention even still the first few yrs of the ls7's love to grenade themselves do to the oiling system design .
Well considering his statement "700hp on a road track can make some heat and piston squirters do help keep temps down" I don't think there's too much emphasis being put on track use.
The early LS7's grenaded because the tank was too small which is why GM went to a larger capacity tank. The LS7 dry sump is far from perfect but it's still better than a wet sump for track use. LS engines have horrible windage problems combined with the fact the oil pumps go into duress above 6,200 rpm, this results in a oil pan full of a frothy aerated milkshake for oil when you run at high rpm on a track. With a dry sump at least you have a larger supply of oil and a higher column of oil above the pick-up that allows the air to separate from the oil and rise to the top, that's not going to happen with a wet sump pan.