Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Paint and Body
User Name
Password

Old 03-20-2017, 06:35 PM

Default What's the top paint brand/lines now days?

What's the hot ticket for paint now days? It's been about 15 years or so since I've painted a car and I'm in the final stages of bodywork on a FFR MK4 I'm building. Last time I researched I used primarily Dupont chroma base and chroma clear as the had one of the best clears at the time (early 2000's).

So, what's the top 2 or 3 lines now days for a great quality base/clear? Price is not a decision factor. All my internet research thus far is turning up rotten as most forum info I find is 10+ years old. I would like to stay away from the water stuff and stay more old school if possible. I'm using a brand new full down draft booth at a local night/extended education school so facilities box is checked. State and VOC's aren't an issue as I'm not in comifornia.

Final color is solid black. Body filler is mostly Rage ultra, planning on PPG DP90 sealer, followed by a few passes of a 2K primer or some sort, then final base/color.

Recommendations appreciated.
Old 03-20-2017, 07:54 PM

DP90 is now DP90LF and nowhere near the primer it once was.

I like to use Southern Polyurethanes epoxy primer, turbo 2k primer and universal clear. Their black basecoat (and single stage) is one of the nicest blacks out there.

www.southernpolyurethanes.com

They have a great user forum where you can ask questions. Their tech helpline is very good too.

SPI is very popular with restoration and custom shops.

For poly primer I use Z-Chrome Rust Defender that I buy on eBay.

Don

Last edited by dhutton; 03-20-2017 at 07:57 PM.
Old 03-20-2017, 08:16 PM

I would do a search on here. I bet that has been discussed a thousand times..

You'll get all kinds of answers though. It mostly depends on what you like really.
Old 03-20-2017, 08:29 PM

That is a question that will have many answers!! I have always used DuPont refinishing products and have been very satisfied. I know DuPont and PPG have what they call "glamour clear" which is their top of the line clear. I am not sure of the numbers but I'm sure you can find it online. Buddy of mine uses spies heckler and likes it a lot. He really likes their high solid clear. Water base is strictly base as they do not make a water base clear. I have heard from shops who use it that coverage and the depth of color is 10 times better with water but I don't have the set-up for it and have never sprayed water. Any of them DuPont,PPG, spies heckler,RM should give you the results you are looking for just need to do your research and find what's best for you
Old 03-30-2017, 04:43 PM

All of the major 5 have great products. I work for and know PPG inside out, so guess which paint line I would push you towards? Lol.

Another thing to think about is, customer support from your jobber. What brands are available locally? Is the support from the counter people good and are they helpful?

If I can offer any product advice from PPG let me know.

1955 Chevy BelAir
1951 Chevy 3100
1987 Chevy R10

Glenn