User Name
Password

Old 09-05-2014, 09:50 AM

Great foundation for a build.
Old 09-23-2014, 05:41 PM

Any updates Mario?
Old 09-23-2014, 06:34 PM

Hey StreetBird,

Well..... Some. I am looking around on LS stuff and i found out that MSD is coming out with a new Atomic LS system in a few months. Wanting to run an LS /Turbo set up, i had my eyes on the last 2 articles Car Craft and HotRod issued about the simplicity and self tuneability (even with the Turbo!!!) of the MSD system, but the new up and coming version is said to have a whole lot more tuneability in it so that sounds good!!! (That's what was making me also look into the Dominator system from Holley, but the holley doesnt have the self learn/ tune which i really like). I really want to try one of those systems. I have chosen my turbo system from CX Racing. I am going to try out the Holley Hi Ram intake, it just looks too good and just seems to do the job on top of things.

I have bought a 6.0L and i am almost done buying a low miles '12, 5.3L, it sems when you start looking at those LS motors everytime you toss a garbage can one comes up!! Lol!!!! So im piling up on motors just in case my turbo experience doesnt go as well as planned ......

I almost got my wheels.... But every place i checked says they are on Back order till end of October for the 12 inch rears in 19. They have 20x12 and i must admit i tought about it seriously, but i remembered when i had my 20x13 Forgelines on my black one and with those 345-25-20 the tire band was so thin i was afraid to even get the car out of the garage. And you knowing how bad the roads are here... A 345-30-19 will be much more forgiving. Plus, i personnally think that 4 /19 inch wheels is the perfect set up on a first Gen. I dont know if you know of "Orion" the Camaro of Marquez Design? That car had 4-19's and was the first one i think to do that and i have never looked at Camaro's on big inch wheels the same after seeing it. So i will have to wait till they are back in stock.

I had a fight with the town about my mufflers and that took most of my summer down the drain. (Kept the car in the garage) and this has grown out of proportion with the law about this and i have had more than 600 person sign a petition and write their stories online on a Facebook page dedicated to that and to the cop thats issuing the tickets aggressive /totally unproffessionnal's behavior.(many have filmed him- this is really serious matter) He is not liked here and even his boss says so (captain) so i have an appointment with the town's Mayor (who said he heard of the whole deal already) on Oct 7th with 3 other guys about all that and we have an article thats due in 2 weeks in the Journal about this also, you can say i am NOT letting go of this lol!!!! I will keep my Flowmasters!!

Its funny you wrote tonight, i was going to sit down and look at the pricing on the new Weld Racing "V" series wheels lol!!! .... Its my "Fastest Street Car" look and feeling calling again.... I just cant get it out of my system. I am picturing the car with some 15x4 and 15x8 with some 275 drag radials and 27 inch front runners, dropped over them and the same gold /black vinyl top scheme. I think it would bring the wheels and car together very well.

At this point i am doing stuff on the house, i have my 1970 olds Cutlass Convertible i am trying to sell (i just bought a 1970 Buick GS/X project car to take the frame off of to put under the Cutlass that is perfect except for the frame and nobody wants it because of that so i will change it and then be able to sell it. Then i will be stuck with the GS's body.... So i tought i could do a drag car out of it and that would keep me satisfied drag wise and id keep the Camaro on the PT line. See.... I am doing all i can to keep the project inline!!!

I have started to look at the rear suspensions also and i think id like to go with the simple Air Bar. Does the job, not too expensive, and the ride should be awesome. The front, just a super tight rebuild with some ATS spindles, some tube A Arms of undetermined kind and some 13/12 Wilwoods with the Sway bars i bought this summer (that are still not on the car) from HellWig's pro line.

Ao thats about where i stand.... I picked up a 4.10 posi 8.5 10 bolt for a song and put it in stock last week... And oh! That makes me think, i was taking measurements under the car for the wheels and the spacers im gonna need and stuff when i realised i have a long 12 bolt out of a Chevelle that i was keeping to cut to fit at some point, but i then tought that i could probably fit it under the Camaro with the 12 inch ZR1 wheels, it should help me into not needing as much spacers!! Its good to keep some stuff on the shelves!!

Ok, letting you go, but you are the one that asked what i was up to.... Hehe.

I have a tendency to think as i write, and that page of lecture is often the result lol!!

Sorry for the long rear, but your now up to date!,

Drop by when you want if you want to see my car and shop!! Im always home!

Lead.

New for summer '13. My latest find!!

48k miles, 100% original, 1969 Camaro coupe. Untouched, never apart and squeaky clean!!! 327/th350, A/C car. Gold on black w/vinyl top. Only add ons; Fast ratio box and SS396 wheels.

FINALLY!!! A car without rust repairs ever!!! None before, none coming!!! Cant come to modifying it tough....

...So, '67 Camaro project with my laying around stuff out of my black 'vert. 468 BB and YSI blower, braked th400, 12 bolt/spool, 35 splines etc. Complete Calvert suspension front and rear. 30x13.5 ET Streets, caged, lightened, slammed and running low 9's "Street car"

Last edited by Leadfoot1; 09-23-2014 at 06:38 PM.
Old 09-23-2014, 07:23 PM

Still on my plans to visit you but for the moment my life is a karma. Problems with job and back pain so I can't do anything.
But the good news is I have experience in turbo(built a 400whp civic for a friend) and a lot of smaller project for me and I know a very reputable shop in mtl for turbo. He can built your manifolds to your specs et sell you all you need at a reasonnable price. He also have a dyno for the tuning.
Check his FB page. https://www.facebook.com/pages/Rd-Tu...58511934211056
Old 09-23-2014, 07:35 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

I really like the Olympic Gold,Black combo.I was so tempted to do these colors on mine but went with resale red instead,good luck with your build,looking good so far
Old 09-25-2014, 08:42 AM

Leadfoot1
You've got me hooked on your thread! Reading your story about building your car before the scene took off sounds very familiar for me as well! Looks like you've got a great start with this camaro now! I noticed you mentioned choosing msd vs holley for your build. I have a LSx turbo car and I run the holley dominator and it does have self learn capabilities and I love it it works great!
Old 09-28-2014, 08:19 PM

Ahah!!! See, thats interesting.... I read that there we're some base tunes that came included with the system when purchased. They dont really advertise that. And now is the first time i hear about the fact it has a self learning.... Is it like an option or is it just that you either select self learn or "manual" if you will?cause if it is, now thats getting really interesting!!

I bought that 20k miles 2004 6.0L last week and just got to open it this morning. I knew it had been sitting as the guy that sold it to me had bought it with the truck it came in as a totaled truck and repaired the truck and took the motor out of the parts truck he bought to fix the wrecked one and mine has been sitting since, so thats 10 years sitting! The pan was cracked and there was no intake on it so i took a chance when i decided to buy it (hey at 200$ Delivered, i figured i had a set of low miles 317 heads and a 6.0L block w/rotating to work with at the very least lol!!) So, i finally put it on the stand today, undressed it all and tried to turn it over.... Wont. No way it will at this point. It has been soaking in penetrating oil for 2 days tough and everything moves a little (rods move side to side, pins are free, chain is like new, cylinders are super nice, its just the 2 front cylinders that had rust but kinda seriously. I put some wd -40 and cleaned what dissolved and there is some left but a lot less. There was some prestone/water in the cyl and it turned to varnish/dust and that paste welded the piston to the walls. When i removed the heads i saw it was those two creating the lock up. Im just hoping i can free it and then well see.

What ive seen guys do with set ups like what im planning is they change pistons and rods, so if it comes to that, ill be in good shape, assuming the block cleans up. Id put some good pistons and rods, good bolts through out a baby turbo cam give the heads a once over and be done. I want to put a manual trans in it but am afraid cause of the planned power output.... But i need that to enjoy driving. You cant be spirited driving with an auto, just not the same, you dont have the same control over the car.

Im fighting with myself every day to find the line between Pro touring and Super Street style of car, man thats tough for me. Its so easy to just drop in a spool and some big and little tires and be done. But i really want to drop that car over those monstrous black wheels!!

Tubbed69, about the color, i think thats what's going to seperate my car from the rest. I loved it from the start. The body is virgin on my car and the paint job is nice, but really not the best. I will eventually get to it but when i do, itll be a rotisserie show car finish, i want the under side painted gold too and to be fully cleared and super gloss, all detailed with black A/N fittings or maybe even some some Jiffy Tight's gold ones mixed in. I want to enjoy the car as i build it, ive had it with project that take years! I have too much fun enjoying it right now!! My last project was 5 years long and i sold it as i was finishing it so i had been w/o a running car for too long, not going thru that for awhile!!! Lol!!! When im ready and everything is sorted out, ill tear it apart and refinish everything.

So, im trying to decide if im doing a trans/ brakes/ wheels for this winter (with a minimal suspension upgrade of some kind, altough maybe not all of it. But i already have my new sway bars on the wall waiting to be put on and i'd see with whatever would be leftover of the budget after the trans/ wheels/ brakes and of course, the minitub job) OR, i could do the motor (LS) and trans, full tilt, with the Atomic MSD and turbo set up, Manual trans swap and just a suspension drop. Then, I also have a 4 bbl intake and a carb in stock that i could just throw on the 327 to make it a little more fun if i was to do the trans/ brakes and wheels and i think that doing the trans/ brakes/wheels first would be the better idea.... cause driving the car with the 4 wheel drums in 2014 is really kinda dangerous and with the stock suspension it makes for a not as fun as it could be ride. Thinking about it like that makes me think that "preparing the whole car" to receive the power the year after, probably is / would be the best /most logical choice. Id get to enjoy it more right away and it would also look better right next summer slammed and on its new bigger shoes and big brakes and with the 4bbl stuff thrown on it, it would at least have a little more oomph to keep me waiting the new motor. So even tough just a small upgrade in power, it would still be an upgrade.... On top of all the rest.

....But im knocking on all doors and keeping the possibilities opened as you can see with the 6.0L deal.

It really is new for me to have a plan looking something like 2 years down the road lol!!! But realising that its realistic, reasonnable and even more important, "the fact that im getting to enjoy the car as i go", makes it easier for me to wait and do it like i really want to. The funny part is, im really liking that way of doing it, i never tought id be saying that lol!! The fact i started with a very nice car to begin with, has a lot to do with that tough. If i had known about that way of doing things, i might not have built all those rusted out hulks in the past years!! This way lets me concentrate on building the car and not "repairing" it to THEN build it. I always had a problem with buying "someone else's" car, but this Camaro was out of province, completely original, had only 2 woman previous owners and so it was no ones "project" per se, so i felt like i was starting with a virgin canvas... And a very nice one at that.

So thats where i stand right now. :-)

Im trying to see what size tires i can fir up front with the stock subframe. Of course idd like 305's. (I checked but i dont think Chris Alston sells their new line's -complete frame- front subframe by itself, (the one that fits 305 front's?) but im looking at what can be done, even if id need to notch my sub for tire clearance when turning. A 265 or 275 would be nice and with those ZR1 wheel's backspacing making me need some spacers will actually be beneficial, as i ll be able to place the wheel where i want it. For the rear, i have in stock a Chevelle 12 bolt, its longer and will make it nice, as it beeing a little longer than my Camaro unit, ill have less spacer neede than if i kept my orig 10 bolt. But im seriously thinking of ordering a custom rear as putting any money in a used diff is money out the windo when you start looking at what it costs to have an old one built vs ordering a brand new crate piece.

Ill get you guys some pics of the 6.0L andi have taked some good shots of the car last weeks too.

I have so many ideas going on i could keep you reading all night lol!!( the tubular radiator support im thinking of building to accomodate the turbo and intercooler and the under car frame bracing i want to incorporate with the frame connectors are part of those ideas...)

Meanwhile... Thanks for the interest!!

(I dont know why i had not gotten any responses since MY last post so thats why i had not come by to anwser before that... Go figure?!)

Lead.

StreetBird, i know A LOT about back pain, went thru 2 back surgeries and even tough i do very well nowadays, i still have to stop working when i feel its getting to me, and beleive me i know when its time!! I have learned to respect my body otherwise i end up forced to stop for like 3 weeks every time... Not fun. Take care of your health. Period.

New for summer '13. My latest find!!

48k miles, 100% original, 1969 Camaro coupe. Untouched, never apart and squeaky clean!!! 327/th350, A/C car. Gold on black w/vinyl top. Only add ons; Fast ratio box and SS396 wheels.

FINALLY!!! A car without rust repairs ever!!! None before, none coming!!! Cant come to modifying it tough....

...So, '67 Camaro project with my laying around stuff out of my black 'vert. 468 BB and YSI blower, braked th400, 12 bolt/spool, 35 splines etc. Complete Calvert suspension front and rear. 30x13.5 ET Streets, caged, lightened, slammed and running low 9's "Street car"

Last edited by Leadfoot1; 09-28-2014 at 08:47 PM.