Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Open Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 08-26-2016, 03:30 PM

Default Electric assist steering for manual racks?

I was looking into getting a custom power rack and pinion and someone told me I can go with a manual rack and pinion with an electric assist. Anyone know anything about this? This would be great if it works because I can get my custom length rack since they don't make custom power racks. Thx

Josh
Old 08-26-2016, 08:36 PM

there are expensive routes you can go check with Flaming river or some of the other high end rack manufacturers

One inexpensive route I came across is using the electric power steering unit out of a Saturn Vue. You can buy a setup online to adjust the sensitivity online.
Old 08-26-2016, 10:56 PM

Unisteer makes an electric assist unit that can be added inline with the steering shaft. A lot of factory five kit cars use them.
Old 08-27-2016, 12:46 AM

Thanks guys! I looked up some info on them and the only thing I noticed was how big that motor is that attaches to the column. Not sure if I have the room or not. Will have to do some more research.
Old 08-27-2016, 11:36 AM

I used the Unisteer universal/heavy-duty unit on my Falcon for about two years (with a manual rack), and it worked great. I had it mounted on the engine side of my firewall with a reinforcing plate welded in, and had no issues. The included computer monitors every input very effectively, even when fed with steering input through a quickener. I autocrossed with it, did track days, and did regular driving, and it did not disappoint.

In the pic, you can see that it doesn't really take up much space, especially in comparison to an average master cylinder.

Last edited by rustomatic; 06-10-2018 at 06:15 PM.
Old 09-01-2016, 06:32 PM

I just did this last Fall. I had a Woodward power rack but the servo just had too much stiction for my liking, I could not steer it effortlessly in small movements when going down the road. It was fine for turning, but just too stiff for micro-corrections. I removed the servo and hydraulics, and bought the steering column and electronics from a Saturn Vue. This change is well documented, particularly on the web forum vintage-mustang. Just do a search on Saturn Vue.

I had to do some fabricatoin to match it to my Ididit steering column but nothing too difficult. The motor seemd large and ungainly but I was able to fit it behind a '68 Mustang dashboard. Granted my car is a tube frame with non-stock firewall, but if anything I had less room, and many people on the mustang site were able to fit them behind stock dashboards.

I'm very happy with the conversion, and the whole deal only cost me $350, including a little controller that is sold with a pot to alter the steering assist.

I couldn't get rid of the steering pump because I have hydro boosted brakes, but that would be a nice touch otherwise. It was nice to remove some hydraulics from the car.

here are some links that helped me:

http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/mo...ver-eps-7.html

http://epasperformance.com/

I couldn't see paying $1200+ for one of these systems , the Vue stuff is cheap on ebay. I bought mine from a guy in Vancouver WA and paid a little extra but he had tested the unit and included the potentiometer electronics so I ddn't have to do any leg work.